Monday, 10 August 2026

Isaac Ordonez


            On Wednesday after midnight I put some more two sided carpet tape along the edge of my mattress. This time I made sure to use smaller strips of tape so it wouldn’t lift away where the futon is not straight. I only managed to cover the side that goes against the western baseboards and a little bit of the head of my bed before the tape ran out. I’ll have to get some more today. I woke up at around 2:00 because I felt a bedbug on me. I got up to pee and then went on a search and destroy mission. The tape had caught a few but as usual most were babies on the vestigial door above my pillow. I’m going to put down some more diatomaceous earth.
            I translated the third verse of “L’epoque légendaire” (Legendary Time) by Boris Vian. I spent a lot of time trying to research the references to the playwrights Edmond Rostand who wrote Cyrano de Bergerac and Georges Feydeau who wrote La Dame de Chez Maxim. There was a reference to a line that is repeated several times in the latter play “Oh come on, he’s not my father!” Apparently people found it hilarious and it became a popular catchphrase. 
            I worked out the chords for all but the final line of “Shylock” by Serge Gainsbourg. I’ll have the song done tomorrow. 
            I weighed 91.25 kilos before breakfast. 
            I played my Kramer during song practice and it stayed in tune most of the time. 
            Around midday I went to the hardware store and bought a new roll of carpet tape. I laid carpet tape around the edge of my mattress, this time using smaller strips so it fits better. 
            I weighed 92 kilos before lunch. I had peanut butter and five-year-old cheddar on saltines and a glass of lemonade. 
            I took a siesta and slept for an extra half an hour so by the time I brushed my teeth it was too late for a bike ride. 
            I weighed 91.5 kilos at 17:45, which is the lightest I’ve been in the evening since last Wednesday. 
            I was still five days behind in my journal and worked on getting caught up. 
            I made pizza on a slice of Rudolph’s sandwich bread with marinara, tomato pesto, oven wedge fries, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a glass of Creemore lager and was going to eat while watching the season 2 premier of Wednesday with my daughter on Discord. Sometimes she goes to sleep and misses our weekly date but I could see on Discord that she was playing a game. I messaged her and waited ten minutes but she didn’t come around so I had supper while watching the first 15 minutes of a 2002 Barbara Walters interview with Carol Burnett. Then I got a message from Astrid that she’d forgotten that it was Wednesday and that she needs an alarm. We laughed about how I need an alarm to get me up at 5:00 every day while she needs an alarm once a week to tell her that it’s Wednesday. 
            We see that Wednesday’s brother Pugsley is entering his first year at Nevermore and also that he’s inherited his Uncle Fester’s electrical powers. Wednesday learns to her extreme annoyance upon arriving at school that she is a celebrity for having saved Nevermore before the school closed for the year. There is also a very enthusiastic new principal named Dort has pyro powers and who, unlike the late Principal Weems, doesn’t care about Nevermore’s reputation in nearby Jericho. He asks Wednesday’s mother Morticia to head a fund raising committee and so she and Gomez are given a fancy cottage to stay in at the school. Pugsley heard the story of a student with a clockwork heart and goes to the skull tree where he is buried. He accidentally uses his powers to revive the student as a zombie and seems pretty happy about it. Wednesday discovers she has a stalker. A private investigator is killed by a murder of crows and the former Sheriff Galpin wants Wednesday to help him solve the case. Xavier (who is not in this season) sends Wednesday a painting of a crow with one red eye. Wednesday’s stalker steals her novel manuscript. Enid is rightly flabbergasted that Wednesday wouldn’t have a back-up copy. Wednesday follows the clues to the giant wicker raven that is going to be set aflame as part of the opening celebrations. She enters the wicker base and crawls around looking for her novel and she is still there when Dort sets the bird on fire. The telekinetic students cause the flaming raven to flap its wings and fly over Nevermore while Wednesday finds her novel and makes it out just in time. Dort invites her to the stage to be honoured by the crowd for saving the school and he unveils a giant AI generated portrait of her in a heroic stance. She grabs a torch and destroys the picture telling them to never dare to put her on a pedestal. After she leaves the stage she has a vision of Enid’s tombstone surrounded by crows. Wednesday collapses in a seizure. 
            Pugsley is played by Isaac Ordonez, who was home schooled. He made his film debut in 2011 in the short film Husky. He made his feature film debut in 2018 in A Wrinkle in Time. He appeared in several short films such as Dia De las Carpas, Jude, Psycho Sally, and Dispara y Mata.

No comments:

Post a Comment