Tuesday 6 November 2018

My Guitar Smells Like the Ocean



            On Monday there was no Romantic Literature class, nor will there be one on Wednesday because it’s reading week at U of T. I had intended to work on my essay during the time I would have been in class from 11:00 to 13:00, but after half an hour I got sleepy and so I took an early siesta. I got up at 13:10 and after lunch I put in an hour and a half of work on my paper. I’m enjoying the process and I think I’m putting in some good writing this term. I don’t know why but it seems that Professor Karen Weinstein brings out the best in me.
            The sea sponge that I use in my homemade humidifier is making my guitar smell like the ocean. It doesn’t stink but I’d prefer my axe to have the fragrance of wood.

For Blake, night and winter go hand in hand to represent the negative aspects of nature. A land where children are orphaned and poor exists in eternal winter, with no sunlight, no harvest and where the pathways are overgrown with thorns. The snowy season in the country is distinguished from winter in the city in his Songs of Experience poem “The Chimney Sweeper". This poem paints a before and after picture of a child, at first happy in rural snow but then transplanted to suffer as a blackened urchin against a hoary backdrop of urban winter without the warmth of family love.
Blake paints the hours after dark as a breeding ground for destructive passions, which he calls “delights chained in night". Productive things are not done in the darkness. An invisible worm flies in the night to inflict illness on the rose. The rose is a woman. The sick rose has been afflicted perhaps with the curse of venereal disease from the worm that flies in the night. The worm being either the disease itself or the penis of the man that spreads it with his secret night life, like the young “harlot" of London a life as a sex trade worker.

            I worked a bit more on my essay but I also took a break from that and re-read the poems of Charlotte Smith, this time aloud. The poem by her that I like is one that isn’t in the required text for my Romantic Literature course. It’s a sonnet entitled “On Being Cautioned against Walking on an Headland Overlooking the Sea, Because It Was Frequented by a Lunatic”.
            I also re-read out loud John Clare’s “The Lament of Swordy Well”, which is from the point of view of a rock quarry that used to be full of life but got stripped of all vegetation, insect and animal life as a result of being used for road repair.
            I grilled four frozen chicken legs and had one for dinner while watching Peter Gunn. This story begins with a young man named Roger riding the elevator to his girlfriend Lynn’s apartment. A man named Santano uses a knife to stop the elevator between floors, then opens the hatch door and shoots Roger. Gunn’s girlfriend Edie asks him to look in on Lynn at the club where she sings in order to find out what is bothering her. They don’t know about Roger. She’s singing The Meaning of the Blues by Bobby Troup and Leah Worth but she breaks down crying halfway through the song. Gunn goes to talk with her in her dressing room but they are interrupted by Santanos who threatens Gunn with a knife. The next time Gunn finds Lynn drinking alone in the club. He tries to talk with her again but is interrupted by her owner Kreuger and Santanos threatens him with the knife again. Gunn goes to see Lynn at her apartment, smells gas and busts down the door. He saves Lynn from suicide just in time. He is taking Lynn to stay with Edie but the elevator stops and Santanos opens the hatch but Gunn shoots him. The cops apprehend Kreuger. Lynn finishes the show by singing the same song in a better mood at the club.
            Lynn was played by Linda Lawson. She’s technically a better singer than Lola Albright.





No comments:

Post a Comment