Thursday 16 February 2023

Vinton Hayworth


            On Wednesday morning I worked out a semblance of a transcription of the twentieth line of "Fugue" by Boris Vian and memorized it. I might see if I can find software that can make text out of audio in French for that line. 
            I finished memorizing "Je t'aime idiot" (I Love You Stupid) by Serge Gainsbourg. I looked for the chords but no one had posted them and so I worked out the first three of the instrumental intro. 
            I weighed 84.2 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I've been in the morning in two weeks. 
            I worked on getting caught up on my journal. 
            I looked for an app for changing audio to text. I tried a few but maybe the software gets confused by songs and can only handle spoken recordings. 
            I weighed 84.5 kilos before lunch. I had saltines with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of limeade. 
            In the afternoon I rode downtown to the Help Desk at Robarts Library to get my security key. I thought it would be a USB key but it generates pass codes on a little screen. I apparently have to use it every time I log onto Quercus now, which is very inconvenient. 
            I weighed 84.2 kilos at 17:30. 
            I found an app called GO that transcribed the song Fugue into text. Some of it is accurate but some of the text seems to come from someplace else. I'll find out tomorrow if it got the one line I wanted right. 
            I was caught on my journal at 17:40. 
            I read the introduction and the first chapter of John Locke's Essay Concerning Human Understanding. It's been assigned by Professor Jaffe for some reason to accompany the novel Frankenstein. He certainly does take a long time getting rolling. There's a lot of "this might not be right" and "it's not for super smart people" type stuff. But finally he gets into the idea that knowledge cannot be inherent and that it must come about through reason. There cannot be any universal truth. 
            I made pizza on a slice of Bavarian sandwich bread with Basilica sauce, a beef burger sliced in half edgeways, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching the fifth season premier of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Mr. Drysdale comes back from vacation to hear from Jane that Granny and Jethro have gone back to the Tennessee Hills for a visit. When he finds out that Jed has to eat Elly May's cooking he rushes over there to save his life. Meanwhile Elly is serving her father a meal. The biscuits look like pork chops, the gravy is so thick she can pull a slab of it out of the pot with a fork, and the dessert is last week's meatloaf with chocolate sauce. 
            Granny and Jethro return and Granny has brought back an old style telephone which she thinks is going to let her have a party line that she can eavesdrop on. But when Jethro tries to connect it he uses the power lines instead of the phone lines and electrocutes himself and makes Granny temporarily deaf. Jed and Granny go to Drysdale to see if he can arrange for Granny to have a party line. The man from the phone company tells Drysdale it can't be done and so Drysdale threatens to stop doing business with them. The bank ends up with a tube system for communication to replace their canceled telephone service. 
            Mr. Cramer of the phone company was played by Vinton Hayworth, who was also known as Vincent Hayworth and Jack Arnold. He was a radio announcer in the 1920s and then began acting in that medium. He played Fred Andrews on "Archie Andrews", the radio adaptation of the Archie comics. He played Jack Arnold on "Myrt and Marge", and Phillip Roberts on "It's Higgins, Sir". In the 1930s he began acting in films and co-starred in "China Passage". He was one of the founders of the radio and television artists union and was president from 1951 to 1954. He played Magistrado Carlos Galindo on the TV series "Zorro". He played General Winfield Schaeffer on "I Dream of Jeannie". He was Rita Hayworth's genetic uncle and the uncle by marriage of Ginger Rogers. 
            For the second night in a row I found no bedbugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment