Friday 18 May 2018

Refusing Washrooms to Non-Customers is Unneighbourly and Bad Business



            On Thursday at 11:30 I went to wait in front of Bike Pirates half an hour before opening because I wanted to beat the rush. There were a couple of kids bikes sitting unlocked in front of the shop, so I assumed they were donations. A funny looking old guy that hangs around Queen Street selling tokens and cigarettes and who I think might be Latin American with Aboriginal genes stopped to look at them. He took the little bicycle that was made to resemble a motorcycle and explained that it was for his 6 year old daughter who lives at Weston Road. He seemed very happy with his find as, bent over, he wheeled it away.
            A tall, middle-aged guy with a Slavic accent came along, apologized for interrupting my reading, but explained that this was his first time and wondered if they sell carriers at Bike Pirates. I told him they do and that he might be able to get one second hand that he could pay for with a donation.
            Den opened up a little early. I set up at stand #3. As I suspected, I needed to true my back wheel. I had a hell of a time getting my wheel off, though I don’t know why. It usually just slips right out. The new volunteer that helped was having problems with it too.
            Den helped me true the wheel but he did most of the work himself. That seems to be true with all the volunteers as truing may be one of the hardest bike repairs to teach. He did something new this time though, besides checking the rim from side to side. He put the underneath the wheel and found that it’s not completely round. He said that the procedure for fixing that problem is more time consuming and my rim isn’t bad enough to bother.
            I put the put the tube and tire back on my rim and the whole thing back on my bike. Then I asked Den if the back brakes were okay. He said the left brake arm wasn’t moving very well, so I oiled it and we tightened the cable. We got it working but he told me that the left spring seems weak and if I have any more problems I should maybe replace the brake.
            Den commented that I had nice lugs. I replied that his wife Dawn had said the same thing. I think they both might be a couple of lug nuts.
            Den, who I think might be in his late 60s or early 70s, recounted to me how he got assaulted recently after clipping a driver’s mirror. He didn’t damage it but the driver got out of his vehicle and pushed Den down. He landed on his hip and wound up black and blue in that area as well as pretty sore in a few other places. He called the cops and they came. He says they were nice and took down all the info but he doesn’t think they will do anything so he’s talking to a lawyer about charging the guy with assault on his own.
            Late that afternoon I took a bike ride. I wore shorts for the first time this year but the problem is that the only pair that don’t have holes in the ass have holes in both front pockets, so I had to put all my money in my backpack. Eastbound velo traffic was back to normal this time, meaning there were very few riders after Greek Town. I noticed on Wednesday that a couple of the riders going further east were riding Bike Share cycles. I also found out online that Bike Share velos are free for 30 minutes on Wednesday, so maybe that’s why there was more traffic.
            I was about to go north on Victoria Park when suddenly I felt a grinding as I pedaled. I stopped at the northeast corner and saw that my back wheel had gone off balance and was rubbing against the left side of the frame. Fortunately I always carry the socket wrench that Nick Cushing gave me last year and the two sockets that I need most. I switched to the 15 to loosen the nuts, but first I flipped the bike upside down. I guess it’s possible that earlier at Bike Pirates I didn’t put the wheel back on securely enough. I always find it easier to do it when the bike is upside down by propping both feet against the seat tube and pulling back on the wheel. Even then it took at least ten minutes because the gears push the wheel to the non-drive side and so I have to lean it towards the gears before tightening it and then when I apply the wrench it tends to settle in the centre.
            I rode up to Dawes Road, then turned right and went down Maybourne Avenue. I stopped at the first Starbucks at 842 Danforth to use the washroom, but at the back there seemed to be a toilet emergency going on. The manager was extremely apologetic but told me that both washrooms were temporarily out of service.
            I noticed that my back brakes had gotten unbalanced again, but I carry a wrench for that too. I balanced it but I remembered that I’d had the same problem last year and that the wrench didn’t help for more than a few minutes because the wheel moves sideways. I know we found a solution at Bike Pirates but I forget what it was.
            I rode six blocks west to the next Starbucks at 604 Danforth, went inside and asked for the washroom code but the guy behind the counter told me that the numbers would be written at the bottom of my receipt when I make a purchase. Then he repeated in simpler language that the washroom is for customers only. I said, “That’s not very neighbourly. I’m a long way from home on my bicycle and I need to use the washroom!” He just responded that this was from the management and he has no control, but if I’d like to take the manager’s card I could make a complaint. I walked away and went down the street to Simone’s Caribbean restaurant at 596 Danforth and I got the same answer: “Sorry, it’s for customers only.” I called back as I left, “Understand that this means you will never have me as a customer!” A little further down was Il Fornello, a large sit-down pizza place at 576 Danforth. The waitress told me right away directed me to the washroom.
            There are no public washrooms anywhere along the Danforth. It seems to me that if you run a business that offers a service to the public it is simply good business to let people use the washroom whether they are paying at that time or not. Everyone that comes in is a potential future customer unless the business makes them feel unwelcome, in which case any subsequent business from that person is jeopardized by that business’s lack of a sense of community.
Here is an example: One winter night I was walking a friend to the subway on Bloor Street West in Korea Town before getting on my bike to ride home. I suddenly felt the need to use the washroom so I left my bike with my friend and went into the Yummy Korean Restaurant. The staff was welcoming even though all I wanted to do was use the washroom and when I left they actually thanked me as if I’d just been their guest for a meal. Because of that welcome, when a friend of mine had her birthday a few months later I specifically chose the welcoming Yummy Korean Restaurant as the place to buy her dinner. My other friend came along and bought himself a meal and he liked it so much that he kept going back. This is an example of how being friendly to the neighbourhood resulted in a later profit of well over $100 for a business in one night, which created a chain reaction of profit that continues to this day. I wonder if any restaurant or coffee shop can show me proof that they’ve actually lost money on that scale from letting non-customers use their washroom. I doubt it very much. It’s good business for a business to be a good neighbour.
            And so if you are on the Danforth and want to go to Starbucks, choose the one at 842 Danforth over the one at 604 Danforth because 842 is a better neighbour. For the same reason, do not go to Simone’s Caribbean Restaurant for a meal, because they have no sense of community. Choose a friendlier place like Il Fornello instead.
            I continued west until just before St George on Bloor when I suddenly heard a scraping sound against my bike chain. I stopped, took my velo off the bike lane and saw that one of my drive-side spokes had snapped and it was sticking out through the others and impeding their movement. I moved my bike to the right of the hot dog stand and propped it against the high brick wall that protects the York Club from Bloor Street. I couldn’t just unhook the spoke and pull it out without taking the wheel off because it was hooked behind the gear wheel so I spent about 20 minutes trying to break the spoke off so I could ride freely. Finally I just wrapped the spoke around the axel and rode home. My wheel was wobbling worse than it had been when I went into Bike Pirates at noon and my brakes were still unbalanced, so everything I’d done to fix my velo earlier had been a waste of time.
            I was pissed off when I got home because of the combination of so many things having gone wrong with my bike, plus having been refused a washroom by two businesses in a row. I was also, because of all those problems, home an hour later than usual. I had to start dinner right away. There was a chicken in the fridge that had to be roasted that night because this was the last “before” date of the “best before” date, even though that meant eating dinner later than usual. I had to be extra careful while cutting up the bird because I was so pissed off that I could imagine becoming careless and cutting myself.
            Dinner wasn’t as late as I thought it would be. I cooked five mini potatoes and steamed some cauliflower and those items were ready on time. I ate them while the chicken was still roasting and started watching the final teleplay before the May 1965 cancellation of the Alfred Hitchcock Hour. The chicken was done at the halfway point so I ate the two wings.
            The teleplay was about a trigger-happy cop named Johnny that got honourably discharged from a city police force after he’d shot and killed an obviously unarmed elderly wino in an alleyway. He and his girlfriend Sandy move to a small town where he gets a job as an unarmed deputy working for a sheriff who thinks guns are trouble and unnecessary in his town. Sandy gets employment slinging hash at the local diner. This story is called “Off Season” because the small town is in cottage country and so in the off season the cottages are empty of people but still full of valuables and so Johnny’s job is to make sure they are protected. The main danger of any problem is usually from young people of drinking age that might spontaneously feel like breaking into a cottage and having a party. So part of Johnny’s patrol is to check out the local bars to see if any potential troublemakers are fuelling up for mischief. One night he is approached by Milt, the guy that used to have Johnny’s job. Milt introduces himself, but not in a friendly way and tells Johnny to ask the sheriff sometime why he got fired. The next night the sheriff invites Johnny and Sandy for dinner at his place with him and his wife Irma and so Johnny asks the sheriff about Milt. He is told that Milt was let go because he was caught using the cottages for fun and frolic with some of the local women. Johnny starts seeing Milt hanging around the diner where Sandy works. He sees her being friendly and laughing and joking with Milt and starts to become blindly jealous. He looks for the gun he’d brought with him when he left the city but looks like Sandy removed it from his suitcase. He finds it under an easy chair cushion in Sandy’s hotel room but he decides to leave it there. Because of Johnny’s jealous behaviour, Sandy feels less like being around him. When he hears one night from the hotel clerk that Sandy has gone out to a movie he is certain that she is with Milt. He goes on patrol and hears sounds in one of the cottages. He goes in through the window and finds Milt with a woman. Milt has a gun but they struggle and Johnny gets the gun. He shoots and kills both Milt and the woman but the woman turns out to be the sheriff’s wife.
            This teleplay was directed by William Friedkin, who went on to do “The Exorcist” and “The French Connection”.
            Johnny was played by John Gavin, who became president of the screen actors guild and later was the US ambassador to Mexico for a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment