Sunday 28 October 2018

Peggy Knudsen, Barbara Baxley and Mari Aldon



            On Thursday I was surprised to feel continuing symptoms of my cold when I’d thought for sure I was getting over it cold days ago. The fatigue was long gone but the congestion remained.
I worked on my review of Shab-e She’r and in the evening took a copy with me to continue on it from work.
I headed out at 17:45 but was halfway between O’Hara and Brock on Maple Grove when I realized that I’d forgotten to put my denture in, so I u-turned and went back home. My neighbour Benji tried to start a conversation with me when I got home and I should have explained that I was rushed but instead I kind of rudely ignored him.
I was riding east along Dundas and had just passed a female cyclist when a cab cut me off and pulled over to the curb. I said, “Jesus Christ!” and squeezed past to his right while the female cyclist went left and called to him that he wasn’t supposed to park there. She got ahead of me because of that but I passed again shortly afterwards.
Despite the delays I was still fifteen minutes early for work. The instructor was a young woman named Brianne Service who didn’t look much older than her students and who looks a bit like Catherine O'Hara. I assume she's Irish. I see from her Facebook page that she graduated from OCADU in 2011 and got her Master of Fine Arts degree last year. She's originally from Hamilton and her work mostly consists of stylized architectural paintings of cathedrals combined with nature.
She had me do short poses for the first half of the class. She told one of her students that she would like to have gestures for the whole class but it’s hard work for a model. I said, “Especially for an old model!” I passed her on my way to the washroom during my first five-minute break and she asked me if I ride a bike. It turns out that it was her I’d passed and who'd yelled at the cab driver. She explained that she lived for a while in LA and learned how to curse out bad drivers.
At the end I told her that in my 35 years of modelling she was the first instructor that I've eve met on a bike. She said she lives right on Dundas in the west end and so it’s convenient for her to cycle to work. I told her that I’m on the north side of Queen and so it’s convenient take Dundas on my way downtown but that to come home I go along Queen. She said she’s afraid of Queen because she's afraid of being doored. I was surprised that it's never happened to her. She said she got hit by a car while walking in Hamilton though. 
As I was unlocking my door a big guy with a beard asked me for change. I said, “Sorry” and then he told me, "I think I know you. Is your name Christian?” I couldn’t place him and asked, “Where do I know you from?” He said, “Do you know Paul?” “Do you mean Cad?” He nodded and said he was Peter. He was starting to ring a bell. I asked if he was the one they call “Pete the Gypsy” and he said he was but doesn’t like being called a Gypsy. He says he identifies as an Anglo. He said he just saw Cad. He was with his girlfriend Goldie. Peter was just coming out of a soup kitchen when he said hi to them but Goldie had said, "We don't know you and we don't want to know you!" I’ve never heard Goldie say anything like that but Peter says he gets bad vibes from her. I told him I think she’s the nicest girlfriend Cad’s ever had. We chatted for about ten minutes. He seems pretty down and out and might be homeless.
I had a late dinner and watched an episode of Perry Mason. A blonde named Sheila returns home to find that her roommate, another blonde named Enid has attempted suicide with sleeping pills because Charles, her boss/boyfriend, for whom she and Sheila work as a secretary and receptionist, recently ran off to get married to another blonde named Anne. Sheila calls for emergency medical assistance and it looks like a doctor came along with the ambulance and treated her at home. Sheila talks with Enid who says she’s not going to give up on getting Charles back. The next day a man named Arthur comes to see Charles. Enid comes to his office and announces him while secretly turning on the intercom at his desk. Arthur claims he publishes a magazine called “Expose”, which seems to be just a front for a blackmail operation. He shows Charles mugshots and fingerprints from Anne’s criminal record and offers to sell for $30,000 the space in his magazine that those shots would otherwise occupy. Arthur gives Charles a week. Charles gets in touch with the Paul Drake Detective Agency and asks him to confirm if the mugshots are really Anne’s. Paul comes to a wedding reception at Charles’s place to get a sample of Anne's fingerprints. Perry Mason and Della Street are also guests at the party and they are surprised when they see Paul slip Anne’s cigarette lighter into his pocket. The next day Paul confirms with Charles that the prints match and that Anne spent a year in prison. Charles gets a call from Arthur who tells him to bring the money to the Valley Motel and to register as Thomas Walsh. Charles puts the money and a gun into a briefcase. When he arrives the desk clerk tells him his room is already reserved but as soon as Charles walks in, Arthur is waiting for him behind the door with a blackjack. Arthur knocks him out and takes the money. When Charles comes to he finds his own gun wrapped in a towel and the towel has a bullet hole. The motel rooms are joined by a shared bathroom. Charles walks into the adjacent room and finds Arthur dead. Next to the body he finds one of Anne’s earrings. The clerk walks in to see Charles with the body and calls the police. When Lieutenant Tragg arrives, Charles, I guess to protect his wife, confesses to killing Arthur. In the back of Tragg’s car, Charles shoves the earring deep into the back of the seat. Mason goes to see Anne and she admits to having been in prison. She says Arthur had also been blackmailing her. Tragg finds the earring in his car. Mason talks to the motel clerk who tells him that a woman used to call Arthur every day. In court a forensics expert says that the towel that had been found in the motel room had a strand of hair from a peroxide blonde that is naturally a brunette. The camera shows all three blondes, Sheila, Enid and Anne sitting side by side. The clerk is put on the stand and he points out Sheila as having been a frequent visitor to Arthur’s room. Sheila shouts that she didn’t kill him and that they were only partners. Arthur was alive when she left the motel. Later Anne comes to the hotel and tells the clerk she was the brains behind the operation and wants the money that he took. He pulls a gun on her and the cops walk in to arrest him. It was a sting. The night of the murder, the clerk had walked into Charles’s room, taken the gun from the bed, saw Arthur through the door with the money, used a towel as a silencer and shot him.
Sheila was played by Peggy Knudsen, who played Mona Mars in The Big Sleep.



Enid was played by Barbara Baxley, who was Tallulah Bankhead’s roommate for many years. She played Sally Field’s mother in Norma Rae. Marlon Brando called her a “jewel encrusted grudge collector” whatever that means.



Anne was played by Mari Aldon, who was born in Lithuania but grew up in the States. She starred mostly in B movies like Mask of Dust.



No comments:

Post a Comment