Saturday 29 June 2019

Modern Snobbery


            I had gone to bed an hour and a half early on Thursday nighr because I was too sleepy to function. On Friday I woke up at 3:30 with a backache. I stayed in bed until 4:18 and started yoga thirty-five minutes earlier than usual. My back stopped bothering me after yoga.
            This week I started translating “Je Suis Snob” by Boris Vian. So far I’ve only got the first verse:

I'm a snob... I'm a snob
It's really the only way I’m flawed
It came from months of hard time
like a slave in a gold mine
But when I go out with my girl Brook
it’s at me that they all look
I'm a snob... a fucking snob
My friends and I are all gods
We're all snobs that deserve applause

            On somebody’s blog featuring the words to songs sung by Sylvie Vartan I tracked down the lyrics to “Pour des haricots” by Serge Gainsbourg. The translation of the first verse that I have so far is:

The soldiers under the flag of our nation
eat nothing but legumes, ooh ooh
And the ones that like them are up every morning at dawn
to lick their lieutenant's boots

            One of the French words for “beans” is “fayots" which is also slang for "bootlickers".
            I washed another section of my living room floor. The next part I need to clean is under the bookshelf to the left of the one I already washed.


            I had cheese whiz with salsa and potato chips for lunch.
            It rained a bit in the afternoon but it had cleared up enough after I did some exercises for me to take a bike ride up Brock to Dundas, east to Gladstone, south to Queen and then home.
            I made some small edits that had been suggested by Albert Moritz to three poems in my manuscript. So far I’ve revised three-tenths of the book.
            I’d had a whole chicken thawing out all day and that evening I cut it up and roasted it. I had a potato, a chicken leg and gravy while watching the second half of The Scarface Mob, which is the pilot for The Untouchables.
            After ten months in jail Al Capone comes home to find Elliot Ness has made a mess of his business. Capone gets the wiretap removed from his phone. Ness pressed George Ritchie for information and finds out that Capone’s biggest brewery is somewhere in the stockyards. Ness wants him to find out exactly where the brewery is and so George tries to get the information from his wife Brandy’s Uncle Jake. Next we see Brandy doing her burlesque act while singing George and Ira Gershwin’s “Aint Misbehavin”. Her performance is surprisingly risqué for US television in 1959 as she exposes her breasts albeit with pasties on her nipples.


            While George is standing in the wings watching his wife, two of Capone’s men come to tell him that Snorky wants to see him. Snorky is one of Capone’s nicknames. George is excited to meet Capone and so he goes with them. Meanwhile two of Capone’s men break into the apartment of Betty Anderson, Ness’s fiancée. They touch her in suggestive ways without raping her as an obvious message to Ness. She calls Ness and he hurries over. As he arrives a car pulls up and George Ritchie’s dead body is dumped in front of Betty’s building. On hearing about the assault Ness immediately takes Betty across the state line to marry her. Next, at a meeting of Capone and his top officers Jimmy Napoli is kissed on the mouth by all of them. The kiss of death signifies that Napoli has been given the task of committing a special murder. Later as Joe Fuselli is dropping Ness off a car comes by and opens fire with a machine gun. Fuselli covers Ness and is killed. Capones’s biggest brewery is taken out and then he is charged with income tax evasion. He is given eleven years in prison.
            Betty Anderson was played by Pat Crowley, who later starred in the sitcom “Please Don’t Eat the Daisies”.


            The actors that played Al Capone and Frank Nitti made horrible attempts at Italian accents. There was an especially bad depiction of Capone’s Italian accent, considering that since he was born in Brooklyn, New York he probably didn’t have one. Capone was a smart student but he got expelled at 14 for punching a female teacher in the face. While working at various jobs around Brooklyn he came under the mentorship of the gangster Johnny Torrio. He climbed up the age appropriate gang circuits from the Junior Forty Thieves, to the Bowery Boys, to the Brooklyn Rippers and then the powerful Five Points Gang. While working the door at a Brooklyn nightclub he was slashed in the face by Frank Gallucio for insulting his sister. This led to the nickname “Scarface” but his closest friends called him “Snorky” which means “sharp dresser”. At 19 a few weeks after their son Albert was born, Capone married Mae Josephine Coughlin. He followed Torrio to Chicago where he started off as a bouncer in a brothel and contracted syphilis. Torrio took over the Colosimo crime empire and Capone became his right hand man. In 1925 Torrio was shot several times and decided to retire, passing the torch to Capone. The organization consisted mostly of illegal breweries with a transportation network stretching to Canada. Establishments that didn’t buy Capone’s booze got blown up leading to 100 killings. He had a chain of brothels throughout Chicago but he also donated to charities and sponsored a soup kitchen. There were gang wars against Capone and people trying to kill him and so he liked to get away from Chicago as much as possible. He never registered property under his name nor did he ever have a bank account. Capone supported a Republican candidate and bombed the voting booths of his competition. Capone is believed to be behind the 1928 St Valentines Day massacre against the mob of Bugsy Moran. After being charged with income tax evasion come went to Atlanta penitentiary where he went through cocaine withdrawal. He was later transferred to Alcatraz where my cousin John Stadig was already serving a long sentence. Capone’s mental health began to fail and he was transferred again before being paroled in 1939. He spent time in the hospital and his mental capacity deteriorated. The next eight years were spent with his family in Florida until he died of a heart attack in 1947.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment