Saturday 28 October 2017

Laughing Moon



            On Friday I was with my parents walking in the city. I looked up at the full moon and it was not only enormous but it was alive with a laughing face that one might see in an old cartoon from the 1930s. I wanted to take a picture of it but I thought that my camera was at home. My plan was to get the camera but that led to another part of the dream that I don’t remember other than that I realized that I’d had my camera with me all along as usual but I still never took the picture. The desire to do so was there but the will seemed to be absent.
            I typed out my lecture notes from Thursday’s philosophy class then I looked online and found that the TAs had posted the weekly question on time. I re-read the relevant section of Avicenna’s Metaphysics and answered the question, “Why does the Necessary Existent have to understand everything through itself and in a universal manner?  Relate your answer to the nature of necessary existence.” Here’s my response:

            The Necessary Existent is considered by Avicenna to be the justification for everything that exists. He thinks that anything that is created must have a creator and that such a creator must be omniscient. If even some of the Necessary Existent’s understanding came from outside of itself then it would not be omniscient and it would not owe its existence to itself because complete understanding is synonymous with its existence. For its existence to be complete its understanding must be complete. Understanding cannot be an attribute that it has because that would make understanding a mere part of it and so understanding has to be what the Necessary Existent is. Understanding from outside of itself would be subject to change and if it depended on such understanding that would make the Necessary Existent subject to change, which for Avicenna would be an absurdity. If the Necessary Existent could be taught that would mean its understanding could be caused which would mean that aspects of its own understanding would be merely possible and therefore non-existent. Therefore if god could learn it would have to not exist.

            I’ve been reading T. S. Eliot’s The Wasteland and found it interesting that Eliot uses the personage of the ancient Greek prophet Tiresias as the spectator and a bridge between the past and present and between the female and male elements. The legend of Tiresias is that he struck a tangle of two snakes with his staff and was transformed into a woman. Seven years later he struck two snakes again and was turned back into a man. With the knowledge that he’d gained from his experience he intervened in an argument between Zeus and Hera. She had insisted that men receive more pleasure from sex than women do but Zeus disagreed. Tiresias confirmed that Zeus was right and it made Hera so angry that she cursed him with blindness. Zeus couldn’t undo the curse but he compensated Tiresias by giving him the gift of prophecy.
            That night I rubbed a boneless pork sirloin roast with olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, sage and orange zest and roasted it for dinner.

            I took out the garbage and as usual for that hour I saw my next roof neighbour, Taro. I told him about the pigeon hitting my face but what was on his mind, like last time, was the fact that Caesar, the guy who lives above me is always standing at his back window and staring down at him. He asked me why he does that. I said, “I don’t know, but maybe he wants to see if you’re smoking pot.” “Why would that matter?” “Maybe he thinks that it’s wrong.” Taro declared that it’s very annoying because he can see Caesar’s shadow cast down on him when he’s standing up there in his window and it might get to the point where he’s going to throw a rock at his window. I suggested that might make things a lot worse and related to him how I lived on the street for ten years and had to deal with a lot of different kinds of people. What I learned is that some people can’t help themselves. They’re like bad weather and have no control over their actions but you can’t throw a rock at a rainstorm.

No comments:

Post a Comment