Monday 20 February 2017

Mating Calls in Traffic



            On Sunday morning it was relatively warm outside for February but the heat was still on in my place, so I had to open all of my windows. The day before that was also warm and so someone in the building had propped open the back door with the old bungee cord that I’d hung out there for that purpose. The only problem with the deck door being open this time of year is that it blows cool air towards the thermostat in the hall, thus causing the heat to come on and so then it would be even hotter in my apartment.
            Later on that afternoon as Parkdale was out and about enjoying the springlike temperatures, I heard the mating calls of the traffic birds lilting in through my open window. The ladybird sang, “Watch where you’re goin you fuckin goof!” to which the gentleman bird sweetly responded: “Maybe you should learn how to drive, lady!” Ahh, spring is in the air!
            I watched two episodes of “Leave It To Beaver”. In one of them, Wally got the idea that he wanted to go to military school until Eddie Haskell planted the notion in his head that his father had subtly tricked him into wanting to go just to get rid of him. Eddie declared, “I’m thirteen years old, but I know the law and my dad can’t kick me out of the house till I’m twenty-one!”

No comments:

Post a Comment