Thursday 15 August 2019

On the Threshold of a Clean


            Three months ago I started adding a new exercise to my yoga regimen. I laid face down and lift and bend my legs up one at a time for about a minute, just doing it once for each leg. This week I started doing it twice and on Wednesday morning suddenly my old patellofemoral syndrome in my left knee has woken up again. I don’t know why doing a bend twice when it didn’t bother me doing it once would make my knee feel worse.
            I ran through “J’suis snob” by Boris Vian once in French. I’ll do my translation, “I’m a snob” once on Thursday and then I’ll start posting it on Christian’s Translations.
            I started memorizing “Leur plaisir sans moi” (Their Pleasure Without Me) by Serge Gainsbourg and already have it half done.
           I washed a section of my living room floor between my desk and the tall set of shelves. I just have one more strip to do directly in front of the entrance to my bedroom in order to complete that area. Then I’ll have to move my desk and clean under it. I also should wash my desk. After that all there’s left of my living room is one metre by three and a half metre area on the west side of the room. I’d thought it would take until tomorrow to finish the whole room but now I think it won’t be finished until the end of August.
            I put a few more things back on my tall set of shelves but discovered that now that I’ve elevated the second shelf so my speaker fits under it there’s not enough height on the third and fourth shelves for some of the books that I used to put there.
            I had Triscuits and cheese whiz for lunch.
            I did some exercises in the afternoon and then I took a bike ride to Bloor and Ossington, went south on Ossington and then home on Queen.
            I wrote a little more of my review of David Jure’s “The Patient English”.
            I worked on “My Blood in a Bug”.
            I baked the last of the frozen stuffed puff pastries for dinner and watched the final part of Victory at Sea. As I’d expected the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were featured but I was relieved that it was only in the beginning. Most of the last part of the series was celebratory. In August of 1945 after the bombs were dropped the Japanese emperor went on national radio to address the people. Although he never used the word "surrender" he told his people that to continue the war would lead to the obliteration of their country.  The documentary says 78,000 people died in Hiroshima and three days later 24,000 more died in Nagasaki. It doesn’t mention that those deaths were only from the initial blast and that at least twice that number died from the after effects over the next few months. It was kept a secret until the 1970s that twelve US airmen were also killed in the bombings. There is footage of emaciated people being liberated from POW camps but the rest of the film footage is of reunions and parades.
            This documentary series sometimes informative but was mostly depressing and boring with a lot of footage of guns and warfare that no one would be able to tell apart from most every other battle.
            Since the next thing I plan to watch is the first season of Wagon Train and since that show is an hour long I didn't watched anything but the last part of Victory at Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment