Saturday 17 August 2019

When You're Jesus They Just Let You Do It


            On Friday morning I got up with the phrase, “How bout a big hand for the Moon Room!" in my head and I gradually remembered the dream I’d just had:
            Donald Trump and his wife Melanoma are the special guests at the first public demonstration of The Moon Room, which has realized the tactile holographic technology that's presented on the fictional Holo Deck on Star Trek. The master of ceremonies is a flying holographic Jesus, with the beard and purple robes that he was given in Renaissance paintings. After the spectacular demonstration is finished, Trump says to the crowd, “How bout a big hand for the Moon Room!" Holographic Jesus floats towards Trump and the president extends his hand to give one of his overcompensating handshakes. But Jesus bypasses the hand, puts his arms around Trump and just starts kissing him. He forces his tongue down Trump’s throat because when you’re Jesus they just let you do it.
            I went through half of my translation of "J'suis snob" by Boris Vian and made a few changes.
            I worked out the chords for half of “Leur plaisir sans moi".
            I didn’t have time to do any floor washing in the living room and so I just cleaned the top, sides and front of my computer. That'll make for less work later when I clean the top of my desk.


            I had my last pork chop cold for lunch.
            I did some exercises and then took a bike ride to Bloor and Ossington, south to Queen and then home.
            I got caught up on my journal.
            I worked a little more on my review of David Jure’s “The Patient English”.
            I edited a page and a half of “My Blood in a Bug”.
            I grilled two steaks and had one for dinner with three little potatoes and some gravy while watching the second episode of “Wagon Train”.
            The guest star is Ricardo Montalban, playing a Creole named Jean Lebec. It starts with Lebec playing poker with Bill Hammond, the son of the owner of St Joseph, Missouri, Mark Hammond. Bill raises the stakes and so Lebec sells his $5000 Stradivarius for $200. Lebec wins the hand and asks to buy back the violin for $500 but Mark refuses. Lebec shrugs and walks away.
            Lebec pays for passage on the wagon train of southern belle Mary Claiborne, her servant Granny Sims and himself. When Mary learns that Lebec has sold his violin she goes to try to buy it back. She talks with Bill but when he gets fresh Lebec intervenes. Bill challenges him and Lebec kills Bill in self-defence in front of two witnesses. Mark won’t believe it was self-defence and won’t sell the wagon train any supplies unless Lebec is turned over to him. The Major and Flint help Lebec escape but Hammond’s men come after him. When Lebec learns that the wagon train will be attacked if he doesn’t turn himself in he goes back to do so. He is sentenced to hang. Mary tries to intervene and when Hammond sees how much she loves him he is touched and lets Lebec go, giving him back his violin.
            Mary was played by Joanna Moore, who played Andy Taylor’s girlfriend on the third season of The Andy Griffith Show. She married Ryan O’Neal and became the mother of Tatum O’Neal.


            Granny Sims was played by Ruby Goodwin, who was also a writer. She wrote a book of poems entitled “From My Kitchen Window” and an autobiography called, “It’s Good to Be Black”. She wrote a newspaper column on black Hollywood. She was the publicist for Hattie McDaniel and Ethel Waters and was the California mother of the year in 1955.
           


No comments:

Post a Comment