Wednesday 6 January 2016

Evangebushers of Yonge and Dundas


             

            My internet connection was so slow on Tuesday, on both the networks I use, that all the stuff I normally do online took much longer than usual, so I didn’t get much else done.
            In the afternoon I took a siesta for almost two hours and didn’t wake up till the phone rang. I could tell by the 800 area code that it was a bill collector, so I didn’t answer it. I was disoriented in time and thought at first that it was morning until I saw that it was still light outside and so I got up.
            I decided to take a slightly earlier bike ride to see if I could blow the cobwebs out of my head. It was cold, but not as bad as the night before. On the way up O’Hara, I saw and extremely tall man walking towards me out of the dark, but it was just normally tall man with a kid on his shoulders. On the return trip, I was blocked by some young jaywalkers who on reaching the curb were immediately accosted by an old man whose face looked worn from a past of alcohol abuse and whose body moved in sudden jerks. He thrust a pamphlet at them, and the thrust corresponded perfectly with the word “trust” as he told them to “TRUST in Jesus!”
            I stopped at the supermarket but didn’t find any good deals on meat. When I got home I cooked lentils and rice, then mixed in some curry paste and a can of coconut milk.
            I watched two episodes of South Park.
            In the first, the female Asian students at South Park Elementary make a presentation to the school of yaoi art in which they portray Craig and Tweek as being an idealized Gay couple, even though they aren’t Gay. The whole town is in love with the idea. Randy Marsh says with pride, “We’ve only had a Whole Foods for three weeks and already we have our first Gay couple!” Randy also gets the impression from this that people don’t choose to be Gay, but that rather the Japanese are the ones that make the decision as to whether you are Gay or not.
            In the second episode, all the boys form a club in which they dress like and pretend to be ninjas. But because of their black costumes and masks, the adults all think that the kids have joined ISIS. So does ISIS, who send them a video praising their efforts, but the kids think ISIS are ninjas. Meanwhile, the cops are brought in to shoot the kids.
            I read a fragment of Soren Kerkegaard’s “Philosophical Fragments”. He seems to be expanding on Socrates’s idea that it is impossible to seek the truth because if you don’t know the truth you can’t recognize it to search for it and if you know the truth you won’t search for it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment