Sunday 9 September 2018

Bad Back at the Back of the Line-up



            From my bed very early on Saturday morning I heard unfamiliar voices in the hallway. One of them was a woman but one with a Canadian accent and not Jamaican like my neighbour Nicky. I’ve been wondering if Nicky moved out or if she just went away again, as I didn’t see her around at all for most of the summer. She was back briefly in August but then I saw three or four big suitcases packed and sitting outside her door on August 31 and I haven’t seen her since. So when I heard the unfamiliar voices in the hall I thought that maybe someone new was moving in. I fell asleep and dreamed that I had new neighbours that were Ontario white trash and lived entirely on chocolate bars. In reality the unfamiliar voices were probably just questionable people that my upstairs neighbour David let into the building.
            Before going to the food bank I wanted to print a copy of “I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud” by William Wordsworth to read while waiting in the line-up because that’s the first piece we’ll be covering in my Romantic Literature class that begins on Wednesday. But I didn't have time to track down that particular piece and so I just printed Wordsworth's bio and part of the first poem in the anthology.
It was a lot cooler in the apartment than it has been since the spring. It looked like it might warm up outside as the morning matured but I decided to play it safe and so I wore pants for the first time in a long time and stuffed a long-sleeved shirt into my backpack. I was a couple of minutes later leaving than usual.
I was just walking my bike off the sidewalk when my next-door neighbour, Benji called after me. He said something about the key and the lock and so I thought that he’d locked himself out again. I came back to open the door but he told me that my key wouldn’t work because someone in the building had broken their key and so it was stuck in the lock. He said he'd come downstairs to get a coffee and then discovered that he couldn’t get back in and so he'd been waiting for someone to come out so he could get back in but when I came out he didn’t see me from inside the donut shop until I'd already closed the door.
He’d called our landlord, who lives in Burlington and he would be coming later. Meanwhile if we could get to the backyard of the building next door we could get up to our deck by way of their fire escape. I once waited two hours outside when I forgot my key and only when I saw a woman entering the building next door was I able to ask her for help getting access to the back. She let me in through the garage in the alley and I was able climb the fire escape and cross over to our roof to reach my place. But since we didn’t have contact information for any of the tenants next door we'd have to wait for someone to enter. We could also wait for the sushi place to open and ask to go out through their back door. Since that might be a few hours away, I went to the food bank.
When I got there and opened my backpack to get my bike lock out I immediately put my long sleeved shirt on. I noted that my place in line was behind the empty purplish grey backpack that was lying on the sidewalk behind the row of carts. I buttoned my shirt and thought that I really should have brought my jacket as well.
There was a strong breeze from the east blowing down the line and there were people smoking almost up to the east end of the block, so the second hand smoke was getting to me no matter where I went. They should develop a harmless chemical to put in the tobacco that will turn second hand smoke a bright colour like red so that people that don't want to inhale it can see where it’s streaming on the wind and avoid it.
I read about the life of William Wordsworth. He and his friend, Samuel Taylor Coleridge pretty much invented poetic Romanticism. He was an avid hiker and traveled that way all over Europe, especially France where he fell in love with a French girl and got her pregnant. The political situation and his financial situation wouldn’t allow him to bring Marie and his child to England so he had to leave them in France. He did support his daughter though. He was very sympathetic to the French Revolution but disillusioned by its aftermath.
I read a little more of Flaubert’s "The Legend of St Julian the Hospitaler". Julian, as a mercenary general rescues an Asian kingdom from a conquering caliph and is given the king's beautiful daughter for his wife. He settles down but refuses to hunt for fear that he will accidentally somehow kill his parents and fulfill the prophecy. Finally though he can’t stand it anymore and goes hunting. While he is gone an elderly, hungry and destitute man and woman arrive at his door and Julian’s wife receives them. They reveal themselves to be Julian's parents. That's as far as I got but my guess is that he comes home thinking that they are invaders and kills them in the dark.
The person behind me in line was an older, short and slim Polish man who smokes a lot. He complained to me that he was in extreme back pain. I asked him if he'd gone to see a doctor but he waved the idea away and shook his head. I think that meant he’d been to the doctor but it didn’t do him any good. He said he'd had some massage but when I asked if it had helped him I didn't get a clear answer. I inquired if he'd been given any exercises to do and he dismissed that as well. I told him that if I didn’t exercise every day my back would be in pain as well.
Behind the Polish man was the African woman that up until two weeks ago had brought a white metal basket cart and last time was pulling a black spinner suitcase. This time though she had a cart that looked like an orange milk crate that had been somewhat expanded and considerably heightened with added wheels and a pull up handle on one side. I teased her that she must have a home full of carts. She laughed and assured me she doesn’t and that she'd just bought this one out of need for something lighter than the metal cart. I assume then that the suitcase had been a temporary solution and she wouldn’t regularly want to carry food in something she uses for her clothing.
Between 1499 Queen, where the food bank is and the apartment building at 1501 Queen is a meter-wide lane blocked by a vertically slatted wooden gate where obviously some people pee at night. On the sidewalk in front of the gate someone has scratched the message: “I’m Not Down w Doug Ford”.
I didn’t check the time but it seemed to me that the line started moving close to the proper time of 10:30.
As has been the case lately there wasn’t much variety on the shelves. My volunteer in that section was the nervous Ukrainian lady whose name I think is Marlena. On the top shelf there were boxes of gourmet tea with the word "maple" in it but since it didn't have the words "Earl Grey" I didn't want it. Instead I grabbed a small bag of coffee. She said, "The boss is here, please, I take for you! Don’t take yourself!" Since not a single other volunteer cares if a client takes the items themselves or not, even when the boss is there, I ignored her request, unless she was standing next to the item I wanted. For someone that frequently tells clients to “hurry up" it seemed like a waste of time for me to back away from an item just so she could step in and take it for me. She didn’t say anything about it again.
Below the tea and coffee there were some tortilla chips and some cookies. I just took another bag of coffee and she gave me two more since I hadn't taken anything else.
On the bottom shelf was some granola and a bag of organic multi-grain flakes, and I took the latter.
From the usual selection of canned beans I selected my usual can of chickpeas. I like to have them cold with chopped garlic, olive oil, salt and a little paprika. The first time I had them that way was back in the early 80s when I was living in the Annex. At that time, on the corner of Spadina and Queen there was a restaurant where I used to hang out with some friends, and though it’s Greek owner didn't call it a "Greek restaurant” there were some Greek items on the menu, such as garbanzos served in that way.
Below the beans, for the first time in several weeks there were cans of tuna. Marlena made sure I took the Ocean’s flake light tuna in water rather than the No Name brand because she said it was better.
Between the canned goods and the pasta was some kind of spice or grain, hand-bagged, with each bag amounting to about the size of a softball. I asked her what it was. She answered, “It’s cumin, but you probably don’t cook!" "You don't think I cook?” She responded defensively, “Well, I don't want to cook!" Her response implied that she was at the reluctant end of the cooking spectrum and that I couldn’t possibly be inside of it with her. I’ve been known to make a curry from scratch and so I took the bag of cumin seeds.
From Angie’s section, I didn't want the 2% milk, but I got 750 grams of Liberté organic yogourt. She gave me the usual three eggs but when I turned down the typical offerings of frozen ground chicken, hot dogs and vegetarian cheese, she dug behind her in the fridge and gave me a frozen General Tso chicken dinner. General Tso chicken is a spicy Hunan style dish created in the 1970s by a Taiwanese chef in the 1970s and named after the renowned 19th Century military leader and statesman of the Qing dynasty who was from the Hunan region of China.
Sylvia offered me potatoes but I thought I had half a bag left at home and turned them down. It turns out that I should have taken some because most of the spuds in the bag have gone soft. She gave me a bundle of scallions that had gotten slimy as a fry of eels. Later I peeled off the rotten leaves, washed them, bagged them and put them in the freezer. Sylvia also gave me two large field tomatoes that were mostly firm.
The bread shelves had a pretty good selection but I only grabbed a pizza-sized fokachio romana rosemary and onion bread. I felt sorry for it because it had broken up into about six pieces inside the bag but I thought it might go well with my eggs.
As I was unlocking my bike there were only four people left in the line-up.


No comments:

Post a Comment