Thursday 6 September 2018

Jack Sheldon



            My right hip still bothered me when I got up on Wednesday and after yoga I had a pain in the right side of my back. I still think this problem is tied up with my body’s reaction to a new yoga pose. My theory is that my body has gotten used to being out of alignment and as the pose is attempting to balance it there is discomfort. I’m thinking that I just have to keep doing the pose until my body is used to it. Hopefully I’m not wrong.
            The pain in my back subsided later in the morning.
            For lunch I had the last of the bacon and egg bagels that my upstairs neighbour had given me.
            Since it didn’t look like it was going to rain and my hip didn't feel too bad I took a bike ride. On the Bloor bike lane, east of Spadina a young cyclist passed me but I got by him when his chain came off. He passed me again but got caught in right turning traffic while I passed all those cars on the left. Then we were separated by traffic lights and he couldn’t catch up.
            When I ride on hot days I seem to get a runny nose but it only happens when I’m seating heavily and so I’m thinking that I might be just sniffing sweat up into my nostrils and then it runs out again. Or maybe it’s exercise-induced rhinitis. When I'm going slower on the way home or when the competition thins down my nose stays dry.
            I rode to Birchmount and St Clair and explored all the southern streets until Kennedy, then I went south one block to Danforth Rd and went southwest to Danforth Avenue and headed home.
            After the ride I didn't feel any ill effects in my leg, hip or back but we'll see how I feel when I get up on Thursday.
            I bought a can of Creemore to have with dinner and watched the second half of the two-part Mike Hammer, Private Eye story, "Songbird". We left off with Hammer in jail. His shifty lawyer gets him out by giving the DA a $7 watch that he convinces him is Swiss. Hammer renews his search for Lila but she and Johnny Dive get captured by Don Vito who has Johnny killed in front of her and forces her to agree to marry his son Junior. The bandleader, Des is hiding out at Hammer’s place. Des gets a wedding reception gig and since both his piano player and backup piano player have been shot, he asks Hammer to sit in with the band. The reception is for Lila and Junior and so Hammer helps Lila escape and has a shootout with the mob. When Hammer gets home with Des, Don Vito, Junior and several gunmen are waiting for them. They want to know where Lila is but Hammer plays Vito and Junior against each other until Junior shoots his father. The cops come in and there's another shootout until the lousy story is over.
            Des was played by trumpet player, singer, actor and comedian, Jack Sheldon. He starred in his own sitcom back in the mid 60s called “Run Buddy Run". It was about a guy who runs from town to town to escape a gang of bumbling mobsters that are on his tail to kill him. It only lasted one season because it had to compete with I Dream of Jeannie. 




No comments:

Post a Comment