Sunday 17 March 2019

Dumb Bike Ride



            On Saturday I worked on editing an old poem and adding some verses to it. It used to be called “Fuck ‘em if They Can’t …” but I changed the title to “Abdullah”:

I’m out here on the bench
with my book and my pen
old Abdullah comes a long
wearing no coat and no shoes
just his white cotton shirt
and his trousers and nothing else on

There’s this greeting he’s taught me
it’s “Khuda hafiz” 
so we say it and then he sits down
There’s no pressure to talk
we just sit there and watch 
whatever might come around

Perhaps a little bit bored
Abdul takes out a coin
then he flips it and asks me to choose
I hate these kinds of games
but to please my good friend
I say “tails” and I hope that I lose

But it turns out I win
whoopee, we forget it
and move on to other things
He tells me he loves art
but that creative pursuits
do not lead to happiness

He says my ambition
of making a living
with poetry is a dead end
and that poets like Gibran
always end up alone
without any family or friends

A merchant by contrast
is never an outcast
and his family will never leave him
Then he invites me to come back
to his Pakistan
and I don’t know if he’s kidding.

He assures me he’ll pay
for my trip to his home
and he’ll teach me about business.
Then the wind blows beneath
my old winter coat
and I really consider it

It’s now rolling around
to that pale time of year
when the blue sky is colder than grey
The streets are now thinner
Their shadows get thicker
and the winds in my chest are at play
and there’s a leavening omen
as those winds start blowing
all my elation away

Abdullah remembers
our long buried coin toss
and says “We forgot to wager”
He says name your trophy
I say without thinking
“Give me your youngest daughter”
One might think I would know
it’s not his kind of joke
plus his youngest girl is fourteen
He gets up from our seat
insulted and leaves
and I never see him again

            I spent quite a bit of time on a new poem written in the style of William Wordsworth’s “I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud” and drawn from my first journal entry from five and a half years ago. It’s called “Daily Dumb Bike Ride”:

I slogged out on my dumb bike ride
westbound along the boring route
pedaling tedious beside a sky
that showed a yield of diverse clouds
above the lake especially
but none of that quite impressed me

I turned on Islington Avenue
and dragged my way past all those plazas
that are cloned anywhere you travel to
but found relief from the miasma
upon turning left on Norseman
to find an industrial wasteland

Past the Animal Eye Hospital sits
the Believers’ Christ Embassy
I mused that fundamentalists
are now mass-produced in factories
There was Global Cheese, Super Collision
Hot Rod Scott’s and Police Auctions

I passed a building that belonged
to a large franchise called "For Sale"
a company that seems to own
property on a global scale
though it doesn't seem to want it
which is Zen when you think about it

I went north and then turned east
and saw the towering tidal wave
of clouds of white and ebony
that’d been behind me all the way
and was now motionlessly smashing
the air above my home direction

Perhaps my father's analogy
that the horse loves the home trip best
holds true, because suddenly
there was nothing that did not impress
The Sputnik Vintage Furniture store
had Rocket Fireworks right next door

Then southbound I began to move
past a school that may have lost a “C”
but "Holy Angels Atholic School”
might have been its real identity
and maybe Atholic School daughters
wear their kilts just a little shorter

As I turned left onto the Queensway
the gravity that pulled me home
was that of the clouds that hung and played
over the eastern horizon
and which overwhelmed my senses
with their spectacular menace

            I read a couple of chapters of Frankenstein and made some notes.
            For lunch and dinner I had beans with toast and finished the last bread I’ll be eating for the next month. I had a few nuts and some soymilk and watched an episode of The Rifleman.
            This story begins with a hanging. A few hours later when the hangman is alone a man we don't see but hear declaring he is the judge, kills the hangman. A few days later the judge that sentenced the man to hang is shot by the same out of view executioner. Meanwhile Lucas McCain receives a letter with a newspaper clipping about the hangman being killed. He realizes that a notorious hanging judge named Zephaniah is the father of the man that was hanged and now he is out for vengeance. He is after Lucas because before the Rifleman moved to North Fork he had been part of the posse that captured Zephaniah’s son and it had been Lucas that had shot him in the leg. Zephaniah captures Lucas and ties him to a wagon wheel. On learning that Lucas has a son he decides that it would be poetic justice for him to take a son for a son. He plans on hanging Mark. But Mark is kept late at school to split wood as punishment for shooting spitballs. Zephaniah goes after him and tells him that his father has been hurt. On the way Zephaniah’s horse stumbles and he falls and hits his head. Mark takes care of him. Lucas manages to move the wagon he’s tied to enough to bring the rope close to some hot coals. He frees himself and goes to save Mark. Mark goes to a spring to get some water for Zephaniah and Lucas arrives just as Zephaniah aims his rifle in Mark’s direction and fires. Lucas thinks Mark has been killed but Zephaniah had just shot a rattlesnake that was about to bite Mark. Zephaniah realizes the error of his ways just before dying.


No comments:

Post a Comment