Monday 11 March 2019

Spidery Wench



            I’d forgotten to change my alarm clock so it would crow and 5:00 instead of 6:00 on Sunday morning. I woke up just after 5:00 anyway and so I only lost three minutes off my regular routine.
            It rained all morning, hammering the snow banks flat and turning what remained the colour of stone.
            I finished memorizing the poem “Juste, le temps de vivre” by Boris Vian. It’s not a song and so I won’t have to work out the chords. I’ve already translated it but now that I’ve got a better sense of the rhythm there will probably be changes.
            I revised the last stanza of my poem “Sugar”:

I myself came and sat down at this bench
but found out a little too late
it was woven by some spidery wench
for whose bite I am destined to wait.

            Albert didn’t think the phrase “spidery wench” worked and so I changed it to:

I myself came and sat down at this bench
but found out a little too late
it was woven by some sweet arachnid
for whose bite I am destined to wait

            I revised a line from my poem “Memo to the Heart of Insecurity”:

You’re both holding your ground
and retreating in a tail chasing turn around

            I changed it to:

You’re both holding your ground
and retreating to a place your mind can’t be found

      I revised a poem from my “Paranoiac Utopia” book to make it ready to submit it for next week:

Unloved by Cannibals


The Alien
staggers out of his stay in limbo
and tells himself he was only gone for a day, or two or three
But another self
says “Any time that’s done in limbo
is always the same measurement of one turn of eternity”

He’s ravenous
as the world considers eating him
as he looks like he is such a sweet free-range boy from the country
But he’s mystified
as he serves them with a dirty plate
that not a soul there for this buffet seems to be one bit hungry

He is a ball
of mercury in a game of tennis
played between the cross polarities of his extreme desires
He is splashing
his face into the trough of midnight
and then swallows all of the faces as they look out from their cars

He’s soul debris
that’s spinning round a lifeless planet
and crashes down every now and then for some unplanned vacations
His camera
is gone so he’s become the cyclops
and sends his exposed photo film to developing nations

            I revised a poem called “Beneath the Rubble of Us”:

My efforts to understand her helped me gain
confidence as a lover, which is a strength
that comes from knowledge of another person’s need
to live a different pace, but maybe it’s fear
of rejection and of growing too forceful at being
tactful at the expense of staying true
to my own vision, which had to be altered
in order to see her point of view and to find courage
to add my voice to her perception
but it often took the form of an apology
for trying to defeat her, which was her victory
over her attraction to me because she could
not be interested in men that she could push
away without them standing up to her test and fighting
to keep the lines of communication alive
by listening better since she had a hard time
embracing any other viewpoint
than her own. So I grew
abler at tuning in and struggling
against the urge to blindly argue
but that only seemed to make her fight me
more and to hurl anger and disappointment
over all the ways that I was falling
short in terms of application
which she told me was pushing her
away from our collaboration
in romance because she didn’t think
it was possible for us to be
partners, which broke my assurance a bit
more, so I don’t know if I gained
strength that’s hidden beneath the rubble
of us or not

I did learn a lot about touching
her body and how to be creative
in response to inhibitions than with any
woman, which frequently required a stretch
of courage, perception and becoming
stronger at giving in to her weakness

            I finally returned to researching my essay and re-read more of Frankenstein.
            I weighed myself for the first time in a couple of weeks and found I was 90.8 kilos, which is just a hair’s breadth overweight for my height, but lighter than I was two weeks ago.
            I read a bit more of “Ugliness: a Cultural History” and found some interesting comments that tie in with my own theories about ugliness and art.
            I had cheese on toast for both lunch and dinner. I finished off the rest of my cheese and the rest of my pie and so no more till Easter. I also had my last beer until a week before Easter and watched the latest episode of The Big Bang Theory.
Spoiler alert!
In this story Amy tricks Sheldon into playing with Howard’s kids by making him think of the games as experiments.
Meanwhile Penny and Bernadette go to a pharmaceutical convention and another company tries to steal Penny away from Bernadette. Her reaction is so much like a mother bear that Penny rejects the offer without even knowing how much they planned to pay her.
I watched about half of an episode of Saturday Night Live with guest host Jim Parsons and musical guest Beck. There were no outstandingly funny skits.                  

No comments:

Post a Comment