Tuesday 5 March 2019

Victor Jory



            On Friday I went out in the late morning to pay for my March phone service. After that, since I was dressed and a third of the way there I went down to No Frills to do the shopping I would normally do on Saturday. I bought several bags of two kinds of grapes. The “Sweet celebration" grapes were on sale so I got some of those and I also got more of the black sable grapes. I grabbed some strawberries, two packs of roasted seaweed, a can of coconut milk and two cartons of soymilk. At the counter the cashier put all the grapes on the scale together and almost gave me the price of the grapes that were on sale for the black sable grapes. She caught herself afterwards and had to void them to start over. She smiled when I told her that I’d been hoping she wouldn’t notice.
            After getting home I went back out to buy some Creemore at the liquor store because I didn’t want to have to go outside again for the rest of the weekend. Even getting dressed to cross the street in the winter and then to come home and change again takes almost half an hour of my time, so while I was dressed it made sense to get everything done. I couldn’t see the Creemore in its usual place. I asked a staff member and she pointed right to where I was looking. I suddenly saw that they’d changed the design on the cans. She pointed out to me that they also no longer have eight-packs but now six-packs and twelve-packs. That must have been why Creemore had been on sale recently because they wanted to clear out the old cans. It’s also probably why the computer had tried to charge me for a twelve-pack instead of an eight-pack a couple of weeks ago. They must have already set up the system to accommodate the new cases. I bought a six-pack.
            When I got home I paid my rent by email transfer and then I called up Financial Services at U of T to find out why I’m only getting $334 for my grant when I owe over $1600 in student fees. I didn’t have to wait very long on hold and the person I spoke with had a very kind voice. She looked at my account and then put me on hold for another few minutes. When she got back to me she assured me that I would be getting $1800 in a couple of days. She explained that the $334 showed up because this year I also had to apply for OSAP, which complicated the assessment. It was a relief to know I wasn't going to have to drop out because of not having the funds to pay for my courses.
            I tried to take a siesta in the afternoon but I barely slept and got up after an hour.
            I started working on my review of Shab-e She’r.
            I had a slice of ham with a potato and gravy for dinner and watched an episode of Rawhide.
            This story begins with Rowdy looking for some missing cows and finding them being re-branded. He confronts the rustlers but is knocked out from behind. Later Gil and some of his men go after his steers and when he finds the rustlers he recognizes their leader as an old trail boss that he once worked under named Jess Hode. Jess is bitter about having been retired from trail bossing because of his age. After leaving the drives he built a large ranch by stealing cattle. He claims that it’s a law of the range that any stray cattle are up for grabs. Gil gets his cattle back from him Jess has the only watering hole for days that hasn’t been dried out. He refuses to share with Gil’s herd and sets up men with guns to guard it. Jess’s son Jim decides to join the drive. They move ahead but every watering hole and creek is dried up. They are forced to turn back and fight if they have to let the herd drink Jess’s water. Jim stays with the drovers as they approach Jess’s men. Suddenly Jess’s wife Carrie comes up behind Jess with a shotgun and says she’ll kill him if he hurts her son. Jess gives in.
            Carrie was played by Jean Innis.
            Jess was played by Jean Innis’s real life husband, Canadian born actor Victor Jory.

No comments:

Post a Comment