Monday 20 May 2019

Aline Towne



              On Sunday when I got up my right hip was still a little sore.
A little after noon I got caught up on my journal.
I started a project in Movie Maker to make a video of the song “L’alcool” from my song practice of July 22, 2017. The video loaded to the file with no problem but I couldn't upload the microphone recording of the same session that I’d done with Sound Recorder. When I checked with Help it was suggested that I uncheck all the filters but that didn’t help. The final suggestion was to convert the file from M4A to WAV. I'm pretty sure I didn't have to convert my sound recordings for my previous videos so I wonder what changed. I don't think that Windows supports Movie Maker any more and so I doubt if Windows updates would have changed it. The best recommendation for converting sound files was Cloud Convert. My first two attempts failed but the third worked.
I went for a bike ride at around 17:00 but since my hip had been sore in the morning I figured it wise to only go as far as Yonge Street.
On my way out I ran into my upstairs neighbour David. He told me he’s going back to Ethiopia on Wednesday because his sister is in the hospital on life support.
It was a warm day and I just wore a tank top with an open shirt on top but I would have been more comfortable with just the tank top.
I noticed there’s another cannabis shop opened in the Queen West area, this one being just west of Spadina. Nova Cannabis is a much less interesting name than The Hunny Pot.
When I got home I opened up my video project and was able to upload the converted sound recording.
I weighed 90 kilos after my ride and so I’m just inside the upper borderline of healthy weight.
My next roof neighbour has a new little barbecue to replace the on the wind blow off the roof last summer. He was just breaking it in and happy when I went out on the deck to take out some garbage. A few minutes later though it started pouring rain on his meat and his red peppers. Nature was making him gravy.
I had an egg with a piece of toast and a beer for dinner while watching two episodes of Sea Hunt.
The first story wasn’t much of a narrative. It just had some artificial suspense thrown in to unsuccessfully try to make it less boring. Mike is called to Canada by an engineering firm that wants to blow up a big rock just under the surface of the ocean that has wrecked many ships. The heads of the company are a married couple named Evelyn and Russ Hodges. Russ is an experienced diver but he’s reckless and after Mike saves his life he agrees to let Mike take charge. The company had planned on drilling under the rock to plant dynamite but Mike and Russ discover a cave that runs into the rock. Dynamite would be too cumbersome and so they decide to use much more dangerous to transport nitro-glycerine. Mike handles the nitro in cushioned containers to minimize shocks. He very carefully gets all the canisters into the cave but after running the detonator wire and connecting it to the nitro he sees an electric eel dangerously nibbling on the wire. Mike kills the eel and they blow up the rock from a safe distance.
The little goof in this story is that there are no electric eels outside of South America and they are fresh water dwellers.
Evelyn was played by Aline Towne, who was an avid world traveller. She starred in the serial Radar Men from the Moon and played Superman’s mother Lara in the first episode of The Adventures of Superman.
In the second story Mike is hired to supervise a diving party of six divers that he knows well. But as they wait for the tardy sixth diver a man named Peterson they don’t know shows up with a scooter and a spear gun. They go to an island, one side of which belongs to the navy and is off limits. They go to the public side and everyone is having a good time. They use the buddy system and Peterson is partnered with Ella. Peterson’s scooter is not very fast and won’t endanger anyone and so Mike allows him to use it. At one point as a joke Ella grabs hold of a turtle to race Peterson’s slow scooter but it swims her in another direction and Peterson uses the opportunity to slip away, showing the viewer that he had only been faking the slowness of his scooter. When Peterson turns up missing Mike organizes a search but they can’t find him anywhere his slow scooter could have gotten to. As Mike is searching from the air the pilot suggests that Peterson might have speared something that pulled him further away. They expand their search and see bubbles on the navy side of the island. Mike gets permission to search the classified waters and finds Peterson taking pictures of a top-secret underwater missile launching facility. Mike realizes Peterson is a spy. He sneaks up and grabs the camera. Peterson pursues him with the scooter. He fires two spears but misses. He follows Mike into a cave where Mike ambushes him and cuts off his air supply to subdue him.

No comments:

Post a Comment