Friday 17 May 2019

Margarita Cordova



            I’m working out the chords of an old song of mine called “Hungry Hippunk Goes to Work”. I used to do it with my band but I’ve never actually played it myself. I’m also working out the chords for “Le Petit Commerce” by Boris Vian and on Thursday, having failed to find the chords online, I started working them out for “Mallow Mallory” by Serge Gainsbourg, which has kind of klezmer melody.
            In the late afternoon, even though it was mostly grey out, I took my first long bike ride of the year. I set the timer on my phone for 58.5 minutes to see how far I could get in that time. I was starting to feel the first tingles of fatigue while climbing Birchmount. At St Clair I checked my timer and it was five minutes over. I’d thought that I'd set it to ring once it had counted down but it hadn’t, or if it did it wasn’t loud enough. Anyway I still wanted to ride to where I’d left off in September. I turned right on Foxridge and then took an immediate left on Maywood Park and followed that while exploring the southern streets that run off it. It’s in a pocket on the west side of Massey Creek and there’s one more street for me to return to explore the next time I go that far.
            On the way back my legs were aching. I stopped to pee at the Starbucks near Jones. I went down Yong to Queen and stopped at Freshco on the way home where I bought grapes, raspberries, blueberries, some cheddar, a pack of chicken drumsticks and a pack of two steaks.
            I got home at exactly 20:00 and I was exhausted. My legs were sore and my hips ached a bit. I immediately started heating up a frozen pot roast dinner that I’d gotten from the food bank. It took and hour for it to be ready. I ate some of the potatoes and half the meat with some gravy while watching to episodes of Sea Hunt.
            In the first story Mike has a new toy. It’s a water scooter, which at this time was tubular, almost as long as an adult, with a light on the front, a propeller at the back and handles on the back for being pulled along and for steering. They make a lot of them much smaller now and they often look like drones. After driving around underwater for a while he surfaces and by chance he comes up near a boy named Davy who is swimming further out than even adults would in this area. He frightens Davy, who quickly swims to his father Dave, his mother Rena and his sister Karen on the beach. When Mike gets to shore he approaches the family to apologize for frightening Davy and also suggests that he might have been swimming too far out. Dave basically tells Mike to mind his own business and says that his kids are strong swimmers and he’s been training them since they were one year old. The kids say, “We’re gonna be in the Olympics!” Mike learns from the local lifeguard that Dave is a former football star whose career ended with an injury and so now he lives vicariously through his children and drives them hard to be athletes. The kids ask if they can go out on the water on their paddleboard and explore the nearby caves. Rena doesn’t think it’s a good idea but Dave says they can go. They find a cave and go inside but while they are playing they lose track of time. The tide begins to come in and washes their paddleboard away and then it slowly begins to creep into the cave until the children are trapped. Dave goes looking for them and when Mike learns they are missing he tries to help but Dave tells him he can find his own kids. He dives for one of the five caves and Mike follows. Dave is bitten by a moray eel and Mike brings him to shore. Mike begins looking for the children, who have now climbed to the highest point in the cave as the water rises. If they are not rescued in time, at high tide the cave will be completely filled and the children will drown. The kids are in the last cave that Mike checks. He can only rescue one kid at a time and so Karen goes first. He teaches her quickly how to use his diving lung and he holds his breath. By the time Mike gets back to save Davy it is almost too late, as he has slipped under the water but he saves him.
            Davy was played by the star’s son Jeff Bridges in his first television role.
Rena was played by Dorothy Dean Bridges, Jeff’s real mother and Lloyd’s wife. She served as the first acting coach for her sons Beau and Jeff and she was also a poet. 
In the second story a Latin American diplomat named Avilar is on a honeymoon with his new bride on his yacht when they encounter three men in a life raft far from shore. They rescue them but they turn out to be dangerous escaped convicts led by a ruthless killer named Costa. Meanwhile Mike is playing with his new water scooter and with a young woman named Nita. She is kissing Mike in the water when her father, Interior Minister Giardo arrives on a big boat. Mike thinks he’s in trouble for making time with Giardo’s daughter but Giardo actually is there to ask for Mike’s help. He tells him about the kidnapping of the Avilars and that the convicts are demanding a ransom that includes money and weapons. He asks Mike to train two commandoes to go on a rescue mission to free the Avilars. Mike trains them as best as he can in the short time they have but decides to also be part of the rescue mission. They use Mike’s scooter to approach the Avilar’s yacht underwater but one of the men experiences equipment failure so it is up to Mike and one other man. They take out all the men but Costa. Mike’s partner is wounded in the shoulder. Mike fistfights with Costa for a while until he knocks him out.
Mrs. Avilar was played by Margarita Cordova, who was also a flamenco dancer.
Nita was played by Karen Welch.

No comments:

Post a Comment