Friday 24 May 2019

Postal Station C



            My hip was still bothering me on Thursday morning, maybe almost as much as Wednesday. I suppose I could be developing arthritis in that area but I have it in my knee, ankle and back too and I can still function. Hopefully it will get better enough so I can get back into the long bike rides this summer.
            I finished memorizing Serge Gainsbourg’s "Elle est si" and since it's not a song it was a nice relief to just post it and not have to deal with the chords. When I work out the chords to a song and then upload it to my blog I have to spend several minutes adjusting the placing of a lot of the chords because they change position slightly in the different format.
            A couple of weeks ago my creative writing professor Albert Moritz sent out a general email to the students in the course to ask which of us want comments on our portfolios and then he would invite each of those to his office. I said I definitely wanted comments but suggested that we meet for a beer instead of his office. Today he said we could do the beer thing and he said for me to pick a place in Parkdale. So I’ll be meeting the poet laureate for a beer at Mezzrows in June.
            Even though my hip was bothering me with a dull ache, since it was a nice day I didn’t think it was healthy to not exercise and so I decided to try riding to Yonge Street. Instead of my usual route I took Queen because I wanted to check my mail, as the door to our building still hasn’t been fixed so the mail carrier can get in. Lee wasn’t at the counter this time but the middle aged clerk with the long black hair was there as well as an older man. He checked the back for my mail while the woman started talking about what a nice day it was. It was quite warm but breezy and I was just wearing my tank top. I told her it was surprising how warm it was outside because it was fairly cool in my apartment perhaps because the breeze was blowing in off the lake. She wondered if I could see the lake from my place. I told her I couldn’t but I didn’t think one would have to be very high up to see it. Maybe even from the third or fourth floor. She said she always chooses to take the Spadina streetcar to Union Station just so she can see the lake and be relaxed by it after a hectic day. I didn’t ask but I wondered when her day was hectic since neither her or her colleague had been doing anything when I walked in. There probably are busy times of day for her but I see more traffic at the little post office in the back of Guardian Drugs in Parkdale. I’d heard that the old post office building at that location would be closing down. She confirmed that they’d be moving in October but she didn’t know where. It turned out there was no mail for me. I wondered why I hadn’t gotten my health card yet but when I looked it up later I saw that it takes four to six weeks and today it had been exactly four weeks.
            I rode up Dovercourt to Bloor, across to Yonge, down to Queen and headed west. I stopped at Freshco where grapes were on sale and so I got seven bags. I also bought Bavarian sandwich bread, cinnamon raisin bread, milk, spoon size shredded wheat, ground beef and coffee.
            I got home at 18:18 and got caught up on my journal.
            My hip didn’t feel any worse for the trip to Yonge and back but the next morning tends to say more than after a ride.
            I weighed 90.9 kilos after the ride.
            I listened to the video of me playing “L’alcool". The echo sounded kind of cool in places but ultimately it seemed a bit much. It only took trimming .07 seconds off the sound to take the echo away. After that I tried to trim the first 19 minutes off the synchronized video but something went wrong and I lost the sound altogether. So I closed down the project and didn’t save what I'd done. Then I reopened it and trimmed the sound again just enough to synchronize the whole thing and then I saved it and quit. Now that it’s saved I won’t lose the synchronization when I tackle cutting it again.
            A big “For Sale” sign has been placed between the second and third floors of the building across the street from mine. It’s a stand-alone building next door to the Dollarama parking lot. Not many Dollaramas have or need parking lots and so they’d probably sell theirs easy enough. I wonder if the building will get bought and torn down and then the two spaces of the parking lot and the building turned into a construction site.


            I boiled a potato and heated some gravy and a chicken leg for dinner and watched the two final episodes of the Big Bang Theory.
            Spoiler alert!
            In the first story Amy and Sheldon get the call that they've won the Nobel Prize. Sheldon wonders if he's dreaming and so Leonard takes the opportunity to slap him hard. As we all know, Sheldon finds any change very difficult to deal with and winning the Nobel Prize is his biggest change ever. But that’s not the only change he has to deal with. Now that Amy is in the public eye she’s gotten a makeover and is now gorgeous. Suddenly after all these years the elevator in their building has been fixed. Penny takes Sheldon for a drink and helps him accept the change. He even rides the elevator with her when they come home.


            The second story begins with Amy and Sheldon preparing to go to Sweden to accept the Nobel Prize. They’ve bought plane tickets and booked hotel rooms for Penny, Leonard, Bernadette, Howard and Raj. Amy and Penny return from picking up their dresses for the prize ceremony and Amy says that the tailor had to take hers in and let Penny’s out and it was the best day of her life. If no one got that hint then it is revealed to us but not their friends a minute or so later that Penny is pregnant. On the plane it turns out that Raj is seated next to Sarah Michelle Gellar of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame. Also on the plane Sheldon sees Penny going to the bathroom so many times that he begins to panic that she has a disease that will ruin his moment. They have to reveal to him that Penny is pregnant. Leonard is upset with Sheldon for being indifferent to Penny’s pregnancy. Howard is upset that Sheldon is indifferent to him being worried about his children back home. Both couples decide to leave but then change their minds because they love Sheldon after all. At the ceremony Sarah Michelle Gellar is sitting next to Raj and reminds him this is not a date and so asks why he’s holding her hand. Sheldon puts aside his prepared and very long acceptance speech and simply begins to one by one and then collectively thank his friends. In the middle he asks, “Is that Buffy the Vampire Slayer?” and she waves.


No comments:

Post a Comment