Friday 4 October 2024

David Sheiner


            On Thursday morning I searched for more chords to “L'amour en soi” (Love in Essence) by Serge Gainsbourg. But none have been posted other than the ones I found on La bôite a chanson (Song Box) yesterday. I worked them out for the intro and the first line and I hear entirely different chords than those posted. Also while the set I found has just two chords all the way through, I’m hearing four. 
            I weighed 88.45 kilos before breakfast, which is the heaviest I’ve been in the morning since September 23. 
            Yesterday I sent an email to Gian at Li’l Demon Guitars to inquire about the progress on repairing my Kramer that I brought in on August 23. Last night there was a response that my guitar has been ready for a month. He had said he was going to email me but now wrote that he’d called me several times. I don’t turn on the ringer on my phone and so I wouldn’t have heard it. I checked all the calls I received since August 23 and none were from the phone number on his website. There were also no text messages or voice mails from him. Today at around 12:30 I went there and brought my Gibson along. Gian fixed the switch on the Kramer and reversed it so it’s down for the neck pickup. I only use the neck pickup and before when I was strumming I would accidentally hit the switch to the bridge pickup. He charged me $70. I also had him look at my Gibson to find out why it’s going out of tune so much. He discovered that my bridge is sitting 180 degrees from where it should. The big grooves were holding the small strings and the narrow grooves were holding the big strings. He turned it around and also made a few other adjustments including raising the action a bit. I paid him $80 in cash. We agreed that he should only contact me by email from now on. I would have liked to have played my Kramer sometimes during this year’s recording project, which only has twelve days left. 
            I weighed 88.6 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and stopped at Freshco on my way back. Their red grapes were over $6.50 a kilo but I found a price match with No Frills where they’re only $2.18 a kilo so I bought seven bags. I also got two packs of raspberries, bananas, two backs of five-year-old cheddar, cream cheese, and a pack of Full City Dark coffee. 
            I weighed 88 kilos at 18:45. 
            I got an email from Richard Olafson telling me that my book is being printed and that he’ll be sending me my ten author’s copies soon. He said he gives authors a 40% discount for any additional copies. I told him I would definitely buy more at that rate when my copies are gone. He also said he’s having the launch on November 24. I assume that will be at The Supermarket in Kensington Market but I asked for confirmation so I can promote it properly. I also need to know how much time I’ll have on stage. 
            I was caught up on my journal just in time for dinner at 20:40. 
            I had a potato with gravy and the end of a pork tenderloin while watching episode 25 of The Big Valley. 
            A carnival style variety show has come to Stockton and the owner Mr. Mortenson has staged a street demonstration. He introduces the main attraction, a singer named Liberty Keene as being known as the songbird of Sacramento and tells them they can hear her tonight. Heath is in the audience and seems to recognize her. Another man in the audience who appears to be drunk calls out, “Let’s hear something now!” Mortenson tells him they can’t do the whole show on the street. The drunk insists on hearing a sample, then he pulls out a pistol and says, “Are you gonna start singin or do I start shootin?” He shoots the feathers that are decorating her hair four times before Heath jumps him. Then Heath is told it’s all part of the act and the shooter is introduced as The Great Ambrose the sharpshooter. Heath sends Liberty a note inviting her to dinner after the show. It turns out that Liberty and Heath were childhood friends and when she hears his story of becoming part of the Barkley family she compares it to Great Expectations. Then she reveals to Heath that she is actually married to Ambrose. Heath walks her home and at her door Ambrose steps out of the shadows, somewhat drunk and pulls his gun. He says he never kills but could place a bullet so life is not worth living. He tells Heath that his wife has a passion for young, rich men but she always comes back to him. Liberty and Ambrose go inside and shut the door. Inside Ambrose is hitting Liberty and she screams. Heath breaks down the door. Ambrose smashes the lamp and puts the room in darkness. Shots are fired. The sheriff happens to have heard the shots and enters to find Heath with his gun drawn and standing over Ambrose’s dead body. He says, “I killed him”. Liberty says to Heath, “Don’t look like that darling. It was the only thing you could do”. Heath is arrested on suspicion of murder. The next day Jarrod bails him out and plans to defend him in court. Heath goes to Liberty and insists she stay with his family until it’s all over. As the trial unfolds the papers are eating it up and the public is enjoying Barkley privilege being undermined. Then Liberty says she killed Ambrose and that in the darkness Heath didn’t see her fire the shot. District Attorney Archer challenges how she could have hit Ambrose in the dark. She says she’s a very good shot. He asks her to demonstrate her marksmanship but her hand is shaking and she misses. Later Jarrod learns from Mortenson that Liberty really is an expert shot. Jarrod gets permission from the judge to exhume Ambrose’s body to remove to bullet that killed him. They already have a bullet from Heath’s gun and the two bullets are placed on each side of a scale. If the scale balances then it means Heath’s was the only gun fired. But the killing bullet is lighter. Liberty realizes she has been exposed as the killer. She grabs a gun and shoots out the light, then runs to the street. She gets in a wagon and Heath goes to her. She can’t shoot him and lets it drop. Then she faints in his arms and it turns out that she has been mortally wounded but I don’t see how. Shots were fired after she shot out the lamp so maybe she was hit but there was no indication of that as she ran for the carriage. She gives a very poorly acted death speech. It’s a really stupid ending with the prosecutor offering to let the Barkleys beat him up but Jarrod offering to take him fishing while Heath laughs. 
            Archer was played by David Sheiner, who made his TV debut in Tom Corbett, Space Cadet in 1950. He made his Broadway debut in Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter in 1958. He made his film debut the same year in The Mugger. He played Roy in the film The Odd Couple. He played Guido in The Stone Killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment