Sunday 10 April 2016

Chick Chicky Boom

            

            On Saturday I had to do laundry again! Honestly, I think we should all boycott clothes washing until they come up with a way of making garments and linen dirt-proof. That’d teach them! Who’s with me? If that works we can do the same thing with another annoying, time wasting activity: the taking of showers or baths alone.
            While my clothes were in the washer I went next door to the Salvation Army. I never find anything I need there. Pants that are wide enough for me are never long enough. I also don’t want curtains that are coloured on one side and white on the other.
            While my clothes were in the dryer I went to the supermarket to buy cat food. Between two checkout lines of equal length I chose the one with the cashier that I’ve known ever since I was running the Orgasmic Alphabet Orgy back in the mid-90s. She used to work in the Country Style donut shop that was at the time across from the Gladstone. She had that job, plus working as a cashier at Price Chopper and she was always friendly and ready to chat. She was around during the whole time that my daughter was growing up. This was the first time though that I’d seen her for a few years and though she keeps her hair brown, she’s starting to look very old. She was making a lot of mistakes on the checkout computer even before she got to me. Again, just like old times, she was very friendly and it was good to see her, but she screwed up like crazy while checking out my items, as the line-up behind me got longer and longer. She pushed the wrong button at least twice. I only had a large back of cat food, a can of comet and a bag of grapes. I was price matching the grapes with the cheaper price being offered by No Frills. She did okay on the price match, but my total turned out to be a little high. $43.00 for cat food, grapes and Comet? I looked at the screen and asked, “Did you charge me twice for the cat food?” She checked and said, “Oh! I did, didn’t I?” Then she had to get one of the younger girls, more experienced with the modern system, to help her correct the mistake. Then she had to get the “swipe” from somebody to erase another mistake so I could pay the $23.00 that I actually owed.  I think I was in the line for twenty minutes. If her fumbling didn’t seem so sad it would have been funny and if I didn’t know her I might have been annoyed. I was late picking up my dry clothing, but luckily it wasn’t a busy day at the Laundromat, or else my clothes might have been removed by the asshole attendant that works there on Saturdays.
            I started re-reading Jacques Derrida’s “The Ends of Man” in preparation for my exam in two and a half weeks. I’ve got to also read the Emmanuel Levinas texts as well and formulate two essays to write on April 26th.
            I cooked the turkey with black bean and salsa sausages that I got from the food bank and ate one of them with a Kaiser bun and mustard.
            I watched the fourth and fifth episodes of I Love Lucy. Lucy goes on a diet so she can fit into a costume to perform with Ricky. She manages to starve herself to the right size then ties up the younger dancer and stuffs her into a closet. The song she performs with Ricky is “Cuba Pete” which I was sure I’d heard before but couldn’t remember where. When I looked it up though I saw it was the song Jim Carrey did in The Mask. It’s funny, but Ricky and Lucy are better. Then Lucy, who’s been reading a murder mystery lets her imagination run away with her and thinks that Ricky is trying to kill her. I noticed that Lucy and Ricky were in the same bed in this episode. I guess maybe it was allowed because they were really married as opposed to Mary Tyler Moore and Dick Van Dyke.

No comments:

Post a Comment