Friday 22 April 2016

Lucy the Fan Dancer

           


           My cat Amarillo has been limping a bit for the last few months. On Thursday morning though he could barely put any weight on his left front paw. With that mobility issue ‘it’s understandable that he doesn’t feel safe to go outside these days.    
            Besides doing laundry, my time was spent preparing for my Philosophy exam on Tuesday. From Levinas: “The face of the other talks back and challenges. Meaning comes from challenge …  Face to face we are disarmed. The I loses self-confidence. It is expelled from rest and sent into exile where it falls into doubt about the project of knowing.”
            I did some rough calculating based on the fact that we receive 25% of our mark from our participation in the tutorials. I only missed one tutorial, so it couldn’t be much less than that. Each of our essays was worth 25% also, so if I put the three together it comes out to 60%, which means I’ve already passed and so I don’t need to be stressed out about my final. I’ll just try to relax and study as much as I can and then relax and write my exam.
            I watched an episode of I Love Lucy in which Lucy was organizing a charity sale but didn’t want to tell Ricky. But when he looked in her purse and found the money that she’d been given to rent the hall, she told him that she’d stolen it. Then he saw all of the items that she’d been collecting for the sale and he thought she’d stolen those too. When she found out that he thought she was a kleptomaniac, she took it over the top and pretended to be a bank robber. The story didn’t even resolve itself. It just got more and more ridiculous until she revealed that she’d stolen a baby elephant.
            I watched another show in which some old friends from Cuba came up to perform at his club. One of them was someone with whom Ricky used to dance, playing her father. His friends wanted him to dance with her that night because her partner couldn’t make it, but Ricky was reluctant. Lucy, thinking she was still a little girl, encouraged him to dance with her, until she, now a voluptuous young woman, walked into the room. Lucy suddenly didn’t want Ricky to dance with her and hired Fred Mertz to pose as a taxi driver and to get her lost while Lucy took her place. Unbeknownst to Lucy though, the young woman’s partner was actually able to show up after all. Lucy danced onto the floor looking very hot in a tight gown, but then the other dancer jumped in to dance with her in mock African garb and wearing black face. He scared the crap out of her and she spent the rest of the act trying to get away from him before fainting in Ricky’s arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment