Thursday 14 April 2016

La Danse Apache (pronounced "apash")

            

            On Wednesday I pumped up my back tire and used my new brakes for the first time while riding to the food bank. The front ones seemed to work okay as well, without sticking, but I guess I would need a longer ride to find out for sure. I was there in time to be part of a line-up of smokers. Of course, all fourteen people ahead of me weren’t smoking first hand but all of us were smoking second hand.
            The talkative and friendly thirty-something large woman who I see there almost every week surprised me when she started having a conversation in perhaps Polish with an elderly gentleman who was sitting by the door.
            I got number fifteen and went home.
            I checked online for my essay mark that was supposed to have been posted on Monday and saw that it was finally there. I got 68%, which is a C-plus for my essay on Nietzsche. This would be the first time I’d ever gotten a lower mark on a second essay. My first one, on Kierkegaard, received 72%. I think that my second essay is clearly better than the first and so I arranged to meet my TA on Friday to haggle the point. I have managed on previous occasions to argue myself up, but this means that I have to stop preparing for my April 26th examination for a couple of days and to focus on my dispute with his assessment.
            When I got back to the food bank, at about 13:40, I discovered that they’d called my number just before I’d arrived, so I went inside and my number was called next.
            The only choices on the first stack of shelves were vanilla wafers, saltines, sesame snaps and some kind of Easter lollipops that weren’t even chocolate. I’d taken the sesame snaps before and found them to be extremely stale, with a strangely floral aftertaste. I took the saltines. There was lots of pasta and rice on the next stack of shelves, but I still didn’t need any of that. The same was true of the shelves with the canned beans. On the last shelf there was a box of Apple Jacks, but I really didn’t feel the inclination to eat mostly sugar for breakfast, so I passed on the kids’ cereal.
            In the cold section, Sue offered a choice between bottles of flavoured water or three little 114-milliliter cups of apple juice. Why is flavoured water even considered to be food? I took the juice. She also had some of that spicy ranch dip that I’d gotten last time and a few weeks before. I told her that I hadn’t even opened the second tub, but there was also cream cheese, so I took that, and she threw in a couple of single serve Danone yogourts. I didn’t need any bread this time so I walked straight to the vegetable lady, who hadn’t been there for a couple of weeks. There were potatoes, onions, tomatoes and sections of cabbage, but none of it appealed to me, since I already had potatoes and onions at home. She asked, “Don’t you want a few tomatoes?” I told her that they looked kind of soft. She held out a handful of the slightly wrinkled red things to show me and argued, “They’re really not, babe!” She seemed mildly disappointed in me when I turned her down. It was the least I’d ever walked away with from the food bank.
            I immediately rode down the street to No Frills to buy some marked down chicken, some milk, yogourt and a few bananas, hoping that the twenty dollars I had would cover it. It did.
            On the way home I stopped at the LCBO to buy a can of Creemore. I noticed that they’d uprooted one of the two bicycle stands, because I guess there are just too many places to lock a bike in Parkdale (he said sarcastically). There was a big bike with saddlebags against one side of the stand and so I went to the other side. I propped by bike against the stand and the other bike fell right over. It wasn’t even locked. I picked it up and leaned it against the corner of the building. Whoever owned it didn’t seemed to be inside the liquor store. I have on rare occasions in my life forgotten to lock my bike, so maybe that’s what happened with this one.
            I watched two episodes of I Love Lucy.
In the first, Lucy read Ricky’s mail that told him to report to Fort Dix. She thought it was a draft notice but it was just a formal military way of confirming that Ricky would be doing a show there. Lucy began knitting socks and preparing a going away party for him. Ricky interpreted that her behaviour indicated that she was pregnant and planned a shower for her. As guests for each surprise party arrived Lucy and Ricky kept on distracting one another and putting people in the closet until the closet was stuffed.
In the second show, Lucy found out that Ricky was looking for Apache dancers for his show. I was disappointed that they didn’t actually show a danse Apache in the episode.
            And speaking of violence, I heard a ruckus outside at about half an hour before midnight. I looked out and out in the middle of the street in front of the eastbound streetcar stop; a guy was punching another guy who wasn’t punching back. Then once the guy was down on the tracks, he kicked him in the head. Then he shouted, “You tried to steal my dog!” When the beaten guy cried, “I didn’t try to steal your dog!” one could tell from his voice that he was drunk, possibly down and out and maybe he had psychiatric problems. The guy who’d hit him might have been drunk, but if he was it was certainly not to the same degree as the beaten guy. He went back to the sidewalk where his dog and two friends were standing and then they walked away. The beaten drunk man was still sitting in a daze in the middle of the street. Some people came to talk to him and he continued to insist that he didn’t try to steal the man’s dog. He said he loved dogs and was just trying to help it. It was hard to know where this started, but the guy’s dog was safe and the violence was clearly unnecessary. What an asshole! And what kind of relationship does he have with his dog if someone could just come along and lead it away from him?

No comments:

Post a Comment