Monday 6 June 2016

A Whole Set of Shelves Empty at the Food Bank

           
            On Wednesday, May 25th, in the line-up for the food bank there were people and dogs that haven’t been there for several months. A woman was there with her son, her friend and her little dog. The little boy, who didn’t look any older than the year before, was playing exuberantly with his mother’s grey mullet haired friend while she smoked her cigarette. He had in his hand a little plastic battery powered saw, which he turned on from time to time and it made a small whirring noise.
            As the line moved and I got closer to the door, Joe came out and was about to smoke a cigarette while standing in the doorway. Fortunately, his lighting up was delayed by conversations until I got inside.
            There were two receptionists on duty, and I would normally have gone to the one furthest over because it seems like the polite thing to do. But as I approached, I saw that it was the guy who couldn’t find my name on the system a couple of weeks before, so I veered instead towards the woman that already knows my name. I got number 23.
Outside, beside the tree where I tend to lock my bike, there has been a brown Muskoka chair for the last few weeks. Whenever I come to get a number I always see a young African guy sitting there, wearing a suit jacket over a white shirt but with no tie. He had a very expensive looking pair of cowboy style boots with a chain curving down above the back of each heel. As I passed him to get my bike, I asked him if that was his office. He smiled slightly and nodded.
When I came back at 12:30, the guy watching the door and calling the numbers was smoking a cigarette. I took my camera out with the intention of taking a picture and sending it to the chairman of the board of the food bank. The door guy was talking to someone though, who wasn’t smoking, so I didn’t feel justified in including her in the shot.
Once I was inside and shopping, I saw the top of the first shelf only had a choice between the compressed olive oil spray and a jar of Masala curry paste. The paste is actually pretty good for bumping up soups and such, but I picked the olive oil spray.
The next shelf down just had a choice between Triscuits and cookies. I picked the healthier item.
At the bottom there were granola bars and some other kind of bar. My helper gave me a few of each. I didn’t see until later that the other bars were Lucky Charms bars prepared in a similar way to Rice Crispy squares.
The second shelf had all of the pasta, rice and sauce, but I still didn’t need any of that.
The third shelf, where they normally have Kraft Dinner on top and various cans of beans below was totally empty. I’ve seen shelves close to empty at the food bank, but this was the first time I’d ever come across one that was holding nothing. My helper told me that that’s what happens with the beans and the pasta. The pasta will also dwindle away to nothing eventually, and it will take a while to get more in.
From the next shelf I took a couple of cans of tuna, but I didn’t notice till later that it was in oil instead of water.
The top of the last shelf was full of Apple Jacks. I asked if there was any other kind behind. He said, “Oh! You want some of the adult stuff?” then he opened up a box and gave me a carton of organic fruit and nut granola. I assume they just hadn’t gotten around to stocking the cereal shelf with the good stuff.
In the cold section, Sue gave me a 1.5 litre bottle of blueberry kefir, there were some frozen egg patties, a bag of homemade granola balls, a package of frozen organic tea pops and a choice of several different kinds of salad, such as tabouli, bruschetta, bean and fruit. Sue and Theresa were recommending the fruit salad. I said that fruit salads go bad so fast. They said not if you eat it right away. Sue suggested that maybe I’m not a fruit person. I explained that I’d rather eat fresh fruit than a fruit salad. I took the bruschetta salad.
The bread section had nothing but several loaves of the same kind of un-sliced white bread, so I passed.
            The vegetable lady had some professionally packaged bags of something behind her. When I asked her what was in them she reacted like she’d forgotten about them. She told me it was frozen squash, so I said I’d take some of that. She had potatoes, beets and questionably fresh zucchini, but I just asked for some fruit. She said she could only give me one orange. It was though the nicest, firmest orange I’d ever gotten from the food bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment