Wednesday 8 June 2016

If You Are Over Fifty, Get A Colonoscopy!

           


            When I got up on Friday, May 27th and looked out my window in the morning light, I realized that my new curtains were covering way too much window space. If I’d had rods I could have opened them right up but that wasn’t a current option. I found the solution fairly quickly though, by simply pinning the ties two-thirds of the way up, rather than halfway, I got back most of my view.
            I went to teach my yoga class, but for the fourth week in a row, no one came. I left PARC at 18:00 and went home to eat a frozen tea pop and drink a glass of water before taking my bike ride.
            I rode to Broadview and Westwood and then across to Donlands, exploring the streets that ran south to Mortimer as I went. It was hot going out but much cooler going home because the wind was coming from the west.
            I surfed the traffic lights and ended up at Lansdowne and Dundas, so I went to No Frills. The only thing they had that I wanted was yogourt this time around though.
            When I got home I remembered that my bedroom light had burnt out, so I went over to the Dollarama to buy bulbs. While contemplating which wattage to go for I ran into Barry Carleton who was looking for a calculator. I was surprised to hear that he was recovering from colon cancer and that in the aftermath of surgery he’d gotten an abdominal hernia. He’s reluctant now to get the hernia treated surgically, I guess because after six weeks in the hospital he doesn’t want to return. Plus he doesn’t trust the doctors that treated him in the first place and thinks that maybe he hadn’t actually had colon cancer in the first place. If I were him I’d get the hernia dealt with. It doesn’t help that he’s still smoking, which is apparently really bad for abdominal hernias because it causes acid reflux, which aggravates the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment