Wednesday 8 June 2016

Sinead O'Connor as a Virgin

           


            On Saturday afternoon I took my bike ride. As I was going up Brock, past the railroad bridge, I noticed that someone had dumped several boxes and bags full of clothing, books and other items in the park beside the arena. A bunch of people were picking through everything but I made a point of remembering to check it out later.
            It was a hot day but for some reason it felt cooler east of Yonge Street. I rode to Logan and Cosburn and then down to the Danforth. I wanted to get a couple of cans of beer at the liquor store, and considered going to the one on the Danforth, but I figured it would be far more interesting to go to the LCBO in Parkdale.
            In front of my place, as I was waiting to walk my bike to the liquor store, a big tough looking bleached blonde Gypsy woman with a cigarette dangling from her mouth, accompanied by her stocky, tattoo covered mate, had just crossed the street. Suddenly though, her eye was caught by an adorable little East African girl of about three, who was waiting with her mother to cross the street. The Gypsy woman began to bubble over with affection for the child. She said a few a appreciative words in an eastern European language and blew a kiss at the kid before continuing on after her husband. I love Parkdale!
            When I got home, I remembered to stuff that had been thrown out on Brock, so I headed up there. There were still quite a few people going through everything. I found Patrick McCabe’s “The Butcher Boy”. I remember really liking the movie, which featured Sinead O’Connor as a foul mouthed Virgin Mary. I figure that if the movie was good then the book must be great because the movie is never better than the book. I also found a small pillow with an east Indian design.
One woman held up a little red t-shirt to show her daughter and said enthusiastically, “This is exactly your size. It’ll be great for the cottage!” Wow! People that can afford a cottage go through the garbage for clothing, grabbing stuff that poor people could use for their children!

No comments:

Post a Comment