Tuesday 13 February 2018

Elizabeth with the Red Golden Fur



            On Monday I worked on some ideas for my essay. I was close reading a section from T.S. Eliot’s The Wasteland that goes “Elizabeth and Leicester / Beating oars / The stern was formed / A gilded shell / Red and gold / The brisk swell / Rippled both shores / Southwest wind / Carried down stream / The peal of bells / White towers”.
This is what I got from it: Queen Elizabeth I and the Earl of Leicester are having sex in a boat, or perhaps she is the boat. “Beating oars” implies a sexual rhythm of copulation. The oar is a phallus rhythmically penetrating the waters of both Elizabeth and the Thames. To beat someone is also to conquer them and Elizabeth in this sense is a conquest of Robert Dudley. Elizabeth’s behind, her “stern” is well formed; her pubic fur is golden red like her hair. The brisk swell is Leicester’s quick erection and upon penetration it rippled both shores, meaning both of their bodies. The vocal sounds of pleasure sounds like the peal of bells. The white towers are Elizabeth’s naked white breasts as she lies on her back.
The Thames travels east through London. But Eliot’s accounts of sex in boats travels upstream. The girl from Highbury, north of London Bridge, was undone in Richmond at Kew Gardens. The trip from the bridge to the gardens is against the current. Her clothes were undone and then she was undone. Against the current and against her will till Kew where she willingly raises her knees, then the trip is downstream until she raises her legs at Moorgate. Afterwards he weeps but she resents nothing.
            Continuing the flow downstream we are at sea and then on the beach in Margate. It’s hard to know if it’s the Highbury girl that is at Margate, since there are so many characters speaking in this poem.
I was playing Arcade Fire’s album, “Reflector” at midday, as I got ready to go to the supermarket. I left it playing as I left and was surprised that the music still sounded almost as loud from the bottom of the stairs by the exit.
I rode down to the No Frills at Jameson and King because I was low on fruit and yogourt. It was still slushy out after our recent storms but it was a quite a warm day. At No Frills the beefsteak tomatoes were cheap, so I got one. I picked up a package of blueberries. Their grapes were more expensive than the ones at Freshco this week but I got a small bag anyway because I love grapes. I bought a pack of old cheddar because starting Wednesday I’ll be stopping eating meat and dairy for 40 days, so I wanted to have a last taste of good cheese before my taste buds starve. With that fast in mind I grabbed a jar of dry roasted peanuts and a carton of coconut milk.
            The man in the wheelchair in front of me at the express checkout made a valiant effort to reach for the divider stick to separate his groceries from mine but his arm could only reach halfway across the belt. I thanked him and got it myself. He apologetically but good naturedly said, “My arms are too short!” Before the cashier had a chance to put my dividing bar on the side, the elderly man behind me asked politely if I would pass it to him, so I did. He thanked me very much and then said to the woman behind him as he put the bar down, “To give you some space.” The express cashier, an attractive young woman of East Indian descent and with a nose ring, had her nails done in a deep blue polish and with very sharp points. She asked if I wanted plastic bags and I said I didn’t, but asked if she had any of the large sized cloth bags. They only had the small, so I didn’t get any. As I was packing my groceries an elderly woman at the end of the next counter, said to the cashier that she’d just paid, “I know your name! It’s Shasisti!” The cashier smiled and said, “That’s not my name. It’s Shasistisia.” The old woman said, “I’m 83 years old. My brain is bad!” The cashier said, “That’s okay!”
            As I rode up Jameson the cars backed up at the Queen light were too close to the curb, so I got off to walk around the corner. A pedestrian dropped his empty PC shopping bag and another man that didn’t know him called out in a teasing but friendly way, “Don’t lose your bag! I’ll take that bag!” Then he looked at me and winked. The warmer weather seemed to put everyone in a good mood.
            When I got home Reflector was still playing and it was only half done. I started it again but there was static or rattling coming through on the bass. I might have blown my speakers or I guess it could be a problem with the amp. The amplifier is about twenty years old but the speakers were second hand when I got them at least thirty years ago. I’m thinking that if it were the amp it wouldn’t suddenly happen after playing at high volume, so it’s a better guess that I have blown my subwoofer. I do have some computer speakers that I found a couple of years ago, though I don’t know if they work and I don’t have time till after the end of school to fiddle around with them to find out.
            That night I watched the season finale of Star Trek. It wasn’t particularly dramatic for a story that was supposed to close things down till next fall. The war that the Federation was about to lose was suddenly turned around and ended without a single photon torpedo being fired, which seemed kind of lame. The previous episode had quite a bit of action, which makes me wonder if the last two were designed to be shown at the same time, just like it seems to me to have been the case with the first two. The series was good but they didn’t begin or end the season very well. The cliff-hanger for next season comes about when Discovery is taking Serek back to Vulcan they receive a distress call from another Federation ship that turns out to be The Enterprise, captained by Christopher Pike. It’s left unspoken and we only see a look between Michael and Serek to indicate it, but we know that serving aboard the Enterprise is the young science officer, Serek’s son, Spock.

No comments:

Post a Comment