Wednesday 11 April 2018

Dream Spindles and Zipper Ventilation



            There was a knock on my door and as soon as I opened it an asshole cop nudged his way into my apartment. It had to do with people having watched me do something through my living room window and having called the police. There was something about a shelf that I had in the corner to the right of the window, though it wasn’t the crappy double bookshelf that I have now on top of a chest of drawers, but rather a two-meter high shelf with spindle supports. It had to be dragged out to the middle of the room to be investigated.  I woke up before I found out what it was all about.



I did my laundry on Tuesday and an older man commented that my motorcycle jacket was interesting because of the zipper in the back. I had to take my jacket off to look just to remind myself that I remembered that there was indeed two long zipper slashes that start below each shoulder blade and angle inward to almost meet at the small of the back. He wondered what it was for and so did I. He speculated that it was for loosening the jacket while riding. They don’t open up to any pockets, but just to the outside of the mesh lining, so I assume they are just for ventilation on hot days.
            I re-read Toni Morrison’s “Rectatif”. I still think the first person narrator is Black, though everyone, including Morrison says that it’s supposed to be ambiguous.
            I roasted the chicken that I got from the food bank and had a leg with a potato and gravy while watching an Alfred Hitchcock Hour teleplay. Bruce is married to Lorna, an heiress who won’t get her inheritance for another year. Meanwhile they live with Lorna’s Aunt Adelaide who is the executor of Lorna’s late father’s estate and very wealthy in her own right. Bruce works for the family business to prove himself but is deeply in debt for his racetrack losses and so he has forged Adelaide’s signature on a cheque. When Bruce first married Lorna he had come to Adelaide about a gambling debt and she had helped him pay it but insisted it would be the last time. Now as she threatens to tell Lorna, Bruce locks Adelaide in the safe and leaves to meet Lorna, who has already gone ahead to the country where they plan to party with another couple. He tells Lorna that Adelaide told him she was going to spend the weekend in Connecticut. Lorna is wondering who will feed Adelaide’s two Siamese cats but Bruce dismisses her concern. Bruce had taken the cancelled forged cheque before leaving and Lorna discovers it in his pocket. She calls Adelaide’s friends in Connecticut and finds that they have been away for quite some time on a European vacation. She decides to go back to New York, hears one of the cats in the safe, opens it and finds Adelaide almost dead. She asks Lorna to feed the cats and then she dies of starvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment