Tuesday 10 April 2018

Tibia or not Tibia



            On Monday afternoon I practiced playing my song “Insisting on Angels” five times because I’d forgotten to play it for the last four days. I made mistakes at every try but under it all it feels that maybe I’m arriving at some kind of confidence at playing the song.
            The area below my knee is still sore since my fall from my bike on Wednesday night. I think I might have bruised my tibia.
            I watched an Alfred Hitchcock Hour teleplay starring Roddy McDowell as Gerald, who at the beginning of the story kills a night watchman when he catches him stealing $100,000 from a bank. He blends in with an elderly singalong group in the park and strikes up a friendship with an elderly woman named Emmy who has memory problems. He begins to visit her regularly and she becomes attached to his company. He convinces her to make a will but to leave everything to the local church except for whatever money might be lying around her apartment. Emmy is a packrat and has years and years of old magazines stacked up in her place, which her landlady keeps advising her to get rid of. Gerald puts the $100,000 between the pages of some of the old magazines. Emmy is in her 70s but her family history indicates that she’ll live for another 20 years, barring an accident. Gerald first tries to push Emmy down the steep stairs of her building but misses and tumbles down himself. Then he tricks her into walking into traffic. She is hit by a car but only breaks her leg. Then he messes with her gas stove but the gas man fixes it. Meanwhile she has finally called the junk people to come and take her old magazines. Gerald is arrested for attempted murder. In the end we see that Emmy knew where the money was all along. She’s counting it in the final scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment