Wednesday 25 April 2018

Toronto Needs Vehicle-proof Barriers Between the Sidewalks and the Streets



            Before I went to bed just after midnight on Monday morning, the bold raccoon that lives across the street had come out to lap up the blonde circle of grain that someone had scattered to feed the birds near the right side of A+ Sushi & Bibim. It didn’t even bother it as people walked by except when one guy turned the corner with out looking and walked straight towards the coon. The animal moved away and the man veered around but after a cautious few seconds the unshy procyon returned to finish its midnight snack.
            In the afternoon I started seeing notices by some of my Facebook Friends marking themselves as safe “during the auto-pedestrian collision at Yonge Street and Finch Avenue”.  I didn’t really understand what it was about.
            That afternoon I eschewed another shirt layer and went for a bike ride. This time I only had my tank top underneath my motorcycle jacket but it was still too warm for a long bike ride. I might wait until shorts weather arrives before I venture out to Scarborough again. I did go a little further to Sherbourne, then I turned and headed back west, going south on Spadina to Queen and then west again to stop at Freshco on the way home to buy more grapes.
            When I got home I learned the reason for my Friends having marked themselves safe. Someone had lost his mind and taken a rented van onto the sidewalk, using it to kill ten pedestrians.
            I think that what is needed are metal posts dividing the sidewalk and the street so that vehicles can’t cross over, but people can still walk between if they need to cross the street or get into a car.
            That night I watched a bizarre, clever, funny and twisted Alfred Hitchcock Hour teleplay entitled “See the Monkey Dance” starring Roddy McDowell as George, who is on his way to the country to the country for a weekend with the beautiful wife of a wealthy man. During a brief station stop, George calls his lover to tell him he’ll be there soon, but when he returns to his compartment there is a stranger, also unnamed (played by Efrem Zembalist Jr. speaking in a fake British accent) that is now sharing the space with him. George begins to read a book but the stranger remarks that his behaviour is typical. He asks, “So you’re going to read are you?” “I beg your pardon?” The stranger repeats his question mockingly and adds, “I said, as you well know, so you’re going to read are you?” “I was thinking of it.” “Typical! Here it comes!” “If you don’t mind!” “If you don’t mind, right on cue! No I don’t mind! It’s probably all for the best! Typical!” “What is so typical, if I may ask?” “Ask away!” “Well?” “Well what? You were going to ask me something. You said, if I may ask. You are typical. That’s what is typical!” “Now just exactly how do you know that I am typical?” “Because everything you do is just what one would expect you to do.” “All right then, I am typical. Now that’s just one more thing in life that we shall have to put up with, isn’t it? Now …” “Here is comes!” “If you don’t mind …” “If you don’t mind! It used to be frightfully upper class, if you don’t mind. An aristocratic approbation, ever so genteel. If you don’t mind! But actually right now my boy it’s become rather vulgar and I’d rather you didn’t use it, if you don’t mind!” “Now look here, will you please tell me if you have decided to annoy me until we reach the next station? Because if so I shant try to read at all!” “I’m not trying to annoy you!” “Well, let me put it this way, you have succeeded without trying!” “But I certainly didn’t think I was annoying you!” “Well you were!” “But I’m not now am I?” “Would you like something to read or are you too drunk?” “I’m not drunk!” “Well then you should see a psychologist!” “I have something to read, thank you!” “All right then why don’t you read it?” “Very well!” The stranger opens his briefcase and says, “You don’t have to take that attitude!” In the case is a book, beside which is a revolver, which George does not see. The stranger takes out the book and closes the case, declaring, “It’s typical of your kind to be rude to strangers!” and then he begins to cry. “Are you all right?” “Yes!” “Are you sure?” “Yes! I’m sorry I annoyed you. I’m really not like that. Please forgive me!” “That’s quite all right!” “I work too hard you see?” “Oh, that’s a common fault these days.” “When the pressure comes off I have a tendency to go boyishly hysterical.” “I see.” “I’ve been to the psychologists and they say it’s a perfectly normal reaction to my sort of work.” “I see.” “I’m dreadfully sorry!” “Oh that’s quite all right!” “I’m a physicist.” “Oh, how interesting!” “I’m afraid that’s all the ministry will allow me to say about it.” “I’m in the brokerage business myself. The city.” “Ow!” “Oh, nothing but high pressure! I don’t think I could stick it myself these days if I didn’t have a little place in the country I could go to, near Landrin!” “Near Landrin?” “Yes.” “That’s a coincidence! I have a place myself near Landrin!” “Really!” “Yes! Isn’t it a charming little town?” “Oh now, I said that I had a place near Landrin. Actually, that does make it sound rather grand, doesn’t it? Really, you see, well, I have a caravan.” A caravan is what we in Canada would call a trailer. “I have it parked on the edge of a field over the town …” “A caravan?” “Yes.” “You have a caravan?” “Yes.” “Isn’t that a laugh?” “Well I don’t use it very often! Well I don’t see what there is that’s so f8nny about having a caravan however!” “No, no, no! The fact is I have a caravan too!” The stranger says that his caravan is also on the edge of a farm. When George names the farmer the stranger claims to be also on the same property. When George names the part of the farm he’s on the stranger says he’s in the same place. George says the caravan belongs to him but the stranger says the farmer is leasing the caravan to him. The stranger insists that it’s also his caravan. George starts to realize the stranger is crazy. The stranger says, “You’re pretending to own my caravan just to see the monkey dance!” George says there are yellow curtains on the window that he put up himself. The stranger shouts, “I put those curtains up!” “Your repeating my own words back to me. You’re crazy! I have the key! Would I have the key to your caravan?” The stranger searches his own pockets and asks accusingly, “How did you get that key? When you lit my cigarette you picked my pocket didn’t you? Give me that key you swine!” They stand and fence, George with his umbrella and the stranger with his cane, but George pokes him with the umbrella and he falls back to the bench, clutching his stomach.  The train pulls into Landrin and George gets out. The stranger follows him, limping. On the edge of town the stranger steals a shovel that is sticking out from a construction site beside the path. George arrives at his caravan, goes inside and locks the door. The stranger gets there a few seconds later and in front of the caravan begins to dig with the shovel. George opens his window and asks, “What are you digging that hole for?” “I’m digging this hole for you George.” “For me?” “I may dig another for your girlfriend, but I haven’t made up my mind about that yet.” “What girlfriend?” “She’ll be along in a little while.” “Oh, all right then, I do have a girlfriend! What business is it of yours? Oh! I suppose that I must not bring my girlfriend into your caravan, is that it?” “It isn’t my caravan. I was just fooling you. I didn’t know where it was. I wanted to make sure you would lead me to it.” “Who are you?” “Take a guess George.” “Her husband.” The stranger just looks at him. After several minutes the grave-shaped hole gets deeper and George comes out of the trailer. “Look here old man, it was just one of those things and I’m awfully sorry that it had to happen.” “I’m going to kill you George. Shortly after, when she arrives, I may kill her as well.” George comes to the door with a bottle and two glasses. “Would you like a drink?” He begins to step outside but the stranger says he’d rather he didn’t come any closer. “Why?” Because you can run faster than I can and I don’t want you to get away as the last one did!” “Now see here!” “There’s a gun in this case! I’ll use it if you step out of that doorway! Is she nice to you by the way?” “If you love your wife how can you possibly ask me that?” “I merely ask because she treated her last boyfriend most abominably! Like he was some sort of animal! Earth under her feet! He felt sorry for him myself!” George looks shocked. “Oh, you didn’t know there’d been others. Come to think of it, it’s harder for a boyfriend to find that out than a husband, really! There’s so much ego involved in being a lover! A husband doesn’t have to go on proving anything. I set out to kill the last one and I certainly would have but for an unfortunate occurrence.” “What happened?” “I hadn’t practiced using the gun. I missed and hit him in the leg. Ironic, because I understand he’s got a limp today just like mine! Here, you dig for a while! Keep your mind off things!” “Me?” The stranger is pointing the gun at George. “Yeah, hop in there!” George reluctantly begins to dig, but in his anger he puts his back into it. He begins to try to reason with the stranger and tells him that we don’t kill the lovers of wives anymore. “A hundred years ago they thought of a woman as a profession, like your horse. If a man stole your wife or your horse you shot him, but not anymore. A man doesn’t own a wife today. More likely she owns him.” The stranger points the gun against and commands George to keep digging. The stranger hears the sound of a car approaching and thinks it’s their woman. He forces George into the trailer. George asks him how he knew about their weekend. He answers that he read George’s letter to her. George insists that he’s never written her a letter in his life. The stranger shows him the letter and when George sees it he smiles because it’s not his handwriting. The stranger begins reading it out loud and George tells him it sounds like the way she writes. The stranger asks, “Why would she write a letter to herself, sign your name and then go to the trouble of mailing it and have me find it?” “She knew you’d try to kill me. You’d hang if you killed me. That way she would be rid of both of us.” “It was the same last time! That other poor devil that I shot in the leg! It was a letter that time too!” George has decided he doesn’t want anything more to do with her and gets ready to leave. The stranger says, “When she does kill me, of course you’ll be involved again and I’ll apologize for that in advance.” George comes back in and asks, “How do you mean I will be involved again?” “You’re her boyfriend. You have a motive. They’re bound to suspect you. If I know her she’ll do her best to make it look as though you’re the guilty one.” “What are we going to do?” “We could kill her.” “That way we would be hanged.” “No, there’s another way. You know that steep hill leading down into the town? It’s a very windy and tricky road. That’s our solution.” Next we see the woman in her sports car on her way to George’s trailer as George hides in the bushes. She knocks and then enters the trailer only to find the stranger. She asks, “What are you doing here? Where’s George?” “George is gone.” “What do you mean he’s gone?” “I roughed him up a bit and he fled.” She laughs. “Who are you kidding? You couldn’t rough up a blanket, you coward!”  “We had a little talk and he left.” “If you’ve turned him against me I’ll kill you!” “He agreed that I have some prior rights to you, since your husband doesn’t go away so often.” “Any more nonsense from you and I’ll have my husband put a kink in your other leg!” Meanwhile, George is sabotaging the wheels on his girlfriend’s car. She leaves the trailer. George is back in the bushes. She drives away. Minutes later George and the stranger hear the crash. George asks, “What do we do now?” The stranger says he’s leaving but advises George to fill in the grave and to get rid of the parts that he’d removed from the woman’s car. George says, “Unless you help me I am going to tell the police that it was her husband that helped me!” “You do that George. You tell them that her husband gave you a hand.” “Who are you? You’re not her husband!” “Did I say I was?” The stranger leaves and George desperately tries to fill up the hole and bury the evidence, but two cops arrive just then and see everything.
            Patricia Medina played the unnamed wife. She was married to Joseph Cotton.
           

           

No comments:

Post a Comment