Saturday 9 June 2018

Danielle Aubry




            On Monday morning I woke up with an erection, which is something that used to happen every morning but not as often in the last few years. I know I’d been dreaming though I don’t have a clear recollection of the story. I think I was involved in a scam to metaphorically fish for women by literally posing as a fisherman. 
My wifi connection was very slow and sporadic for most of the day.
I spent a lot of time writing but still was far from being caught up when I decided to take a bike ride. It looked like it might rain because of nasty looking clouds that were dancing with the sun, but the weather report said otherwise. My urge to get my first major bikecercise since last Wednesday though was shattered when I took my velo off the hook and discovered that I had a flat back tire. Since it was almost time for Bike Pirates to open I went over there and waited outside.
A sombre looking young guy was next in line. I think I smiled at him but I can’t be sure because sometimes I feel like I’m smiling but then I look in the mirror and find out that I’m not. Anyway, whatever my face projected at him, he scowled back. However, as is often the case with people that don’t smile, he turned out later on to be a fairly friendly person.
Alain opened up and I took a stand. I removed my wheel and the tube. I pumped it up, submerged it in water and saw that my puncture was on the rim side of the tube. It’s very hard to figure out inside punctures. Alain advised me to put electrical tape twice around the inside of the rim and then to put new rim tape on top of that.
I was able to get the back wheel back on and balanced with no trouble, though I had the chain wrong on the derailleur the first time and had to loosen the bolts, and do it again to get it right. I was at Bike Pirates for about an hour and fifteen minutes. The tube was $6 but I gave them a $14 donation.
I watched two episodes of The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis.
In the first one he meets a new girl named Delphine Quimby whose father has just opened up a new store. Dobie goes to see her and starts to help out until he starts unpacking the boxes and realizes it’s a grocery store that will be competing with his father’s. Just then his father arrives to check out the competition and Dobie tries to hide from him.
In the second one Dobie meets a pretty student from France who doesn’t speak any English. He gets frustrated while trying to communicate with her and causes her to cry. Maynard comes to the rescue and though he doesn’t comprehend a word she says he has an empathic connection with her and knows what she means by the beat of her communication. They hit it off and later they teach each other songs. He sings “Frere Jacque" to her and then asks her to try the one he taught her in English, so she sings, "Boobadoobupbupbadoobadoobup ..." After she goes back to France she sends Maynard a letter which he shows to Dobie, telling him he doesn't understand it. Dobie looks at it and tells Maynard it’s in English.



The French girl was played by Canadian actor, Danielle Aubry. She ended up doing some Beach Party and hot rod movies but worked mostly as a pin-up model. She was married to film noir producer and director Leo C. Popkin and she’s now an octogenarian in LA.
I notice that Dwayne Hickman’s mannerisms and expressions in his role of Dobie Gillis are almost identical to those of Jack Benny. It turns out that Benny was sort of a mentor for him, but he got it mostly from Bob Cummings, who’d been directly influenced by Benny. 



No comments:

Post a Comment