Saturday 23 June 2018

Painful Shower



            It’s interesting how the morning after I wounded my elbow in my bike wipe-out I had more mobility and less pain than the morning after that. On Friday morning I was still able to do all of my yoga poses but the ones that were difficult on Thursday morning were more painful this time.
            Later, after I took a shower my elbow stung a lot for the next couple of hours, proving that one needs dirt on one’s wounds in order for it not to hurt.
            I took a bike ride in the afternoon under an overcast sky. The car traffic was heavy and slow and so it wasn't possible to pass any other cyclists from Bay Street to Church. I started to feel a few raindrops around Yonge Street and at Sherbourne it was splattering enough for me to decide to turn back. The traffic was thick and slow on the way home too. As I went south on Yonge it turned to a light rain and it looked like I might be wet before I got home, but it went back to sprinkling on Queen and before I got home I could see the sun through the haze. So maybe if I’d continued my ride east I wouldn’t have gotten caught in a downpour but then again it might have been worse in that direction.
            I had a small chicken breast, a wing, a little potato and some gravy for dinner and watched two episodes of Dobie Gillis.
            In the first story, Dobie and Maynard get the lead roles in a play that will be staged on their army base. After a rehearsal they go to the PX where Dobie sees an attractive young woman named Dorrit, but when he tries to chat her up she rejects him because he’s a private. Dobie and Maynard’s next rehearsal is in full costume with Dobie as a major and Maynard as a sergeant. When dress rehearsal is over they rush over to the PX without changing their costumes because it will be closing soon. Dorrit is there and doesn't recognize Dobie in his false moustache so she begins to flirt with him because she thinks he’s a major. He plays along and gets in deeper when she introduces Dobie to her father, who is a colonel. He eventually gets in trouble for impersonating an officer but the colonel goes easy on him because Dobie’s father served under the colonel when he was a captain in the war and Herbert Gillis was remembered as “Snowjob” Gillis.
            In the second story Maynard is extremely homesick. He keeps begging his lieutenant to give him a pass but he keeps refusing. Finally the c.o. gives in and gives him a pass, telling him he has to be on the bus in ten minutes. But Dobie doesn’t know that Maynard left with a pass so when he sees Maynard missing he thinks he’s gone AWOL and goes to ridiculous lengths to cover for him such as playing both sides of the net on the same volley in a volleyball game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment