Saturday 12 January 2019

The Street Sucks the Sandman's Bag



            On Thursday I got caught up on my journal.
I had a can of tuna with some salsa and potato chips for lunch.
In the afternoon I started printing poems for the Poetry Master class. We had been instructed in the syllabus to provide fifteen copies of two poems. Since one of my poems was 2 pages long that meant printing 45 pages on 30 sheets of paper. That’s more printing than I’ve done in years. From the third class on we will be in groups of five we’ll have to bring 6 copies of three poems and so we will only have to provide 18 pages for each class.
Before leaving I changed the batteries on my back flasher. I’d never done it before on this one that Nick Cushing had given me a year ago. I’d expected this one to be as hard to change as the others that I’ve had, which I’d often have to pry open with a screwdriver and sometimes partially crack the plastic. But this one was quite easy.
It was a fairly cold ride downtown and on top of that people were passing me a lot. I made sure that my tires are firm so that can’t be the problem. Something has to be wrong with either my bike or me.
My class is in Northrop Frye Hall, which is the last address on Queen’s Park Crescent East where it finishes being split by the park and becomes just Queen’s Park.
When I found my classroom on the second floor it was full of people. At first I thought they were there for creative writing as well but it turned out they were all leaving. I went looking for the washroom. I found a women’s washroom but the only other washroom was an all gender accessible washroom. I don’t know how to lock the door in those washrooms because I can’t tell the difference between the lock button and the assistance alarm.
I sat in the classroom and did some writing. After a while I began to worry that there was some mistake because no one was there. Usually on the first day of a course people come early.
At about ten minutes to eighteen o'clock an attractive woman named Sanna arrived. Although class is listed as going from 18:00 to 20:00, U of T classes don’t actually start until ten after the hour, so by that time almost everybody was there. There were supposed to be fourteen students in the course but it seems that Albert Moritz enrolled one more at the last minute. There are twelve women and three men.
When Albert started the class he apologized for interrupting people’s conversations. He said that the main means of education is talking to each other and that he’s probably just getting in the way.
He explained some of the requirements of the course and said that he wants students to forego saving the trees and to provide one-sided copies so that there is room to write on the other side. He commented that if only poets were killing the trees then the trees would be doing just fine.
He said that we should confine corrections of other people’s spelling to our written comments and use our spoken comments for broader issues, unless the punctuation is vital to the poem, or if someone is being idiosyncratic in their use of punctuation, in which case one can point out if someone’s punctuation is not consistently wrong.
On whether or not to only write when inspired he said that making oneself write doesn’t hurt but it is artificial.
He said that it’s always good to bring fresh poetry but we can also bring older poems that need work.
I brought up something Albert had written in the syllabus about a goal being for the poet to begin to write concertedly. I asked him why that was important. He answered, “Maybe it isn’t.” I wondered if he was talking about one developing a style. He answered that a Modernist would call it a style while a Romanticist would call it a vision but at times they come so close that they merge.
He told us that thinking about the professional side of poetry is often a source of anxiety and horror. Should I send my stuff out? Will it be accepted? Would it matter? Would anyone read it anyway? He referred to “warring lunch tables in the cafeteria of the poetry high school”. He suggested that we should become aware of the poetry prizes and of who has been nominated. He added that we should also note who hasn’t been nominated.
He passed out a pile of poetry magazines for us to take with us. I got Vallum: Contemporary Poetry, which must be from two or three years ago because it has an interview with George Elliot Clarke just after becoming our Parliamentary Poet Laureate.
Albert read a poem called “poetry Reading” by Anna Swir – “ … The telephone rings. I have to give / a poetry reading … a hundred people … I am supposed to tell them / why they were born …”
Albert asked me to read my poem first but just as I was about to start, Matthew wanted to use the washroom. Albert decided to wait till he got back so there would be no interruptions. I read “The Street Sucks the Sandman’s Bag” –

My eyes are pans that sift the river of the street
for anything that shines.
Everything passes through me,
I’m a fixture in the plumbing of the street’s collective mind.
I filter everybody’s emotional trash,
I’m the bend in the pipe
that the shit has to pass,
and though I do find gold
you know it aint the kind
that makes me worth a lick of a woman’s time.

I make a smash with this uptight-rope circus act
I do upon this bench.
I’m an ambidextrous lighthouse
warning every side at once
to maintain a safe distance.
cause they would scrape like a rasp upside of my mind 
like the curious stares
of many passers-by
that like the leaves of fall
that scratch along the road
will only serve to satisfy a dying itch.

I’m in the cold because it serves much more comfort
than lonely heated rooms.
It’s just where my life escapes me,
Do I even have a choice
of get away cars or routes?
Do I make things happen from this pivotal place
or just weakly mimic
some kind of female strengths?
It seems mostly women
can make events happen
even when they’re sitting in one place alone.

Now a guy that I’ve seen but I hardly know,
invades my Space here at my sidewalk home
& the storm of his conversation
keeps droning
on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.
and when anyone sits with me on this bench,
my static journey begins to tailspin
and the tumour of their presence
starts to drain upon my life again.
He makes me less handsome
by association and
my aim is deflected by his invasion
of the shooting gallery where I perfect my endless, endless, endless, endless stare.

This talking man’s become a blemish
on the face of my spaceman vanity.
I know that he’s schizophrenic,
yet those psychiatric drugs
just seem to plug his sanity.

and then Victoria responds
to my psychic mayday,
just to leave me on a lonely limb until payday.
She saved me from this guy
but I should’ve realized
she won’t do anything for free.

I’m convicted of shyness
when my clumsy heart gets tangled up inside my mind,
but maybe that restriction
is what holds me back from serving any institution time.

The projector light of sunset
shoots a golden beam
above my aisle-way seat,
while theme music of evening
begins slowly moving in upon the gentle sunset breeze.

I pour time into space
as I wait in the street
for just one kind word
or else anything sweet
to fall from a woman’s mouth
so I can swing on home upon its memory.

            After hearing my poem Albert decided to change the format for our second class. The plan had been for each of us to hand out a second poem and then write comments in response to share next week. Now he said that people should comment on my first poem and everyone else’s first poems instead. The second poems that we brought could be saved for when we split into small groups.
            Jenny read a prose poem about finding a dying bird and there were a couple of nice uses of “weight” and other words that mean “weight”. She talked of wanting to move its weight inside her body sounded like she wanted to deal with its dying by giving birth to it.
            Alyson had a poem dealing with her contempt for religion with a couple of nice ironic phrases. The kind that often end up as band names.
            Lara had a poem that was about a Mediterranean holiday that sounded like it might have been also a university field study program. She used small stanzas with very short lines and this created a sense of claustrophobia and simplicity at the same time. In describing the crashing of waves she came up with a phrase that had a wet musicality.
            Emily had a poem about healing and comparing scars to stones dropped to find your way back through your life.
            Arin had a poem about disconnectedness that comes together in the end.
            Sanna’s poem had a visual element. The title was the first line but still separated and other words were distanced from one another, though when she read it aloud there was no distance. I think if she’s going to put space on paper then there should be space in the sound. There was a nice reference to throats and to swallows and how throats swallow but that both throats and swallows sing.
            Nicole read a poem comparing willow roots to one’s own roots.
            Neither Matthew nor Andrew, the only two other guys in the class, had paper copies of poems but they had them on their phone and so Albert said we would take a ten minute break while they emailed the poems to him and he went to his office next door to print copies. I’m sure it was only a coincidence that only men were unprepared.
            Albert said nice things after each person’s poems.
            I passed the time by doing some stream of consciousness writing:

When we are together we know we are lost
because we don’t know each other any more
than ourselves and so we die by the way
we talk, we chatter, but the chatter is not
supposed to mean anything all together
We don’t blame ourselves until we find
our missing loss and then it is too late
to communicate.
We don’t fly with our wings but we flap a lot
We are sore until we know we are heels

The word reflects until it dulls like a bull-bell
a well-wall, a wind-war, askew or not an aptitude appetite

            A lot of these people are fourth year students and I think some are master’s students.
            Other than visiting the library, this is my first time at Victoria College.
            Everyone was engaged in conversation except for Alyson and I, who were both writing at opposite corners of the room.
            The break was a little over fifteen minutes. Albert came back with a bottle of Smart Water.
            Matthew read a piece that had a lot of rap elements but with some fun rhymes. He wrote about enjoying getting drunk and picking up girls but there was a sad undercurrent referring to his childhood that it seemed could have been conveyed better by changing the style in the middle.
            Julia had a silly poem about the meaning of life perhaps to convey the uselessness of trying to find a meaning.
            Margaryta read a poem about fruit juice and god and said that those who believe in vitamins tend to believe also in god the father.
            Blythe had a poem about being ignored by someone while with them. The best line was asking if there was a blackhole behind her.
            Albert commented that Blythe’s name is not that common anymore but that there was a beautiful actress named Blythe Danner. Blythe knew that Blythe Danner is Gwynith Paltrow’s mother.
            Ashley’s poem, which conveyed the discomfort and sense of imprisonment of a gynaecological exam testing for a serious problem, was quite successful. The first verse had a lot of active verbs and the second dealt with oppressive sensual experiences.
            Vivian read a very good poem that was a list of the things she loves.
            The last of the group to read was Andrew, whose poem seemed grandiose with references to infinity and eternity.
            Albert commented that the public poems that had been read were very rich and he exampled Matthew’s poem as having been effervescent and rude.
            Albert read “Contraband” by 60s Beat writer Denise Levertov – “The tree of knowledge was the tree of reason … God had probably planned to tell us later … It’s toxic in large quantities; fumes swirled in our heads to form … a wall between us and god … reason … locked us into its own limits, a polished cell reflecting our own faces. God lives on the other side of that mirror …”
            Albert paired it with a poem from 1810 by Ch’ang Yu called “A Ringing Bell” – “I lie in my bed listening to the monastery bell … the first tones are still reverberating … I cannot tell when they fade … Who can tell when we escape from life and death?”
            Talking about the intangibility of our own perceptions, Albert suggested we read “Long Poem to Allen Ginsberg” but I didn’t write the author’s name because I thought the title would be easy to find but it isn’t.
            Albert says that a poem called “Oceans” by Juan Ramon Jimenez is about the same thing as the above poems – “I have a feeling that my ship has struck … against something great. And nothing happens … Or has everything happened and are we standing in the new life?”
            By the same author - “I stripped away petals in order to see your soul and I did not see it …”
            Albert said that every poem that we’d read could be published, but perhaps some refinement would be needed.
            I asked id the required reading book list is really required and Albert said that it’s just suggested. He thinks it’s a good idea to know contemporary Canadian poetry, so that’s why he recommends The Best Canadian Poetry, The Best of the Best Canadian Poetry and A Book of Luminous Things. I did manage to find a download of A Book of Luminous Things.
            Albert mentioned Louise Glick, the editor of The Best American Poetry, wrote an essay on teaching.
            I chatted a bit with Albert before leaving. One of the students said she just started taking a course called Digital Humanities with Albert's wife Theresa, who was my professor for my year of Academic Bridging in 2008.
            As I tried to cross Queen’s Park to go south I got disoriented in the dark and wound up going north to Bloor, so I just headed west from there. On the way home my bike was very slow. I’d planned on stopping at Freshco on the way home but it was so cold that I decided I didn’t need anything badly enough to stop and take my gloves off.
            When I got home I gave my bike a quick look and discovered there’s a severe wobble in the back tire, perhaps because of a worn out axle. That was why it’s been going so slowly. That meant that part of next Saturday would have to be spent at Bike Pirates.
            It was already 21:00 when I got home so I just mixed half a can of chickpeas with salsa and had that with potato chips for dinner while watching two episodes of the Big Bang Theory.
            In the first story Penny makes all the boys jealous because she’s going to meet Bill Gates. He might work with the pharmaceutical company that employs her and so she's going to show him around. Sheldon thinks it’s an April Fools joke because Penny’s meeting Gates on April 1. Penny lets slip the name of the hotel where gates is staying and so Leonard, Howard and Raj hang out in the lobby until they see him. Leonard approaches Gates and begins to cry and then he drools on Gates’s tie. Later Penny invites Leonard to a luncheon that Gates would be attending but Leonard is too embarrassed to g and so he pretends to be sick. Penny video chats Leonard from the party to introduce him to gates but gates recognizes him and Leonard closes his laptop. Meanwhile the boys decide to really April Fool Sheldon and they keep sending him to the wrong hotel in far parts of town to meet Gates.
            In the second story there is a food truck outside of the apartment building that sells delicious pastrami sandwiches. Sheldon loves the smell that wafts up to the apartment but he finds it so distracting to his work that as president of the tenants’ association he makes the truck go away. It turns out that Sheldon is the only member of the tenants’ association and so he elected himself president.  An angry Leonard decides to run against Sheldon for president and wins but Leonard realizes he’s made a big mistake because now Leonard will bear the brunt of every one of Sheldon’s complaints.
            Meanwhile Howard and Raj have found a crashed drone. Howard fixes it and they check the video card to find out whom it belongs to. It turns out that the owner is a very attractive young woman and they see that she is wearing a pin from Stewart’s comic shop. Stewart recognizes her and gives Raj her address. She is grateful to get her drone back and gives Raj her phone number. But then when she looks at the video footage of Howard and Raj flying the drone she hears Raj talk about how on his first date with the beautiful owner he won’t even be wearing underwear so he can be ready to have sex with her. She slams her laptop down in disgust.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment