Friday 12 April 2019

Knights of the Cadillac Angels



            I didn’t sleep at all after going to bed just after midnight on Thursday. I got up at 1:00 to see if a shower would help but I was too full of the caffeine from my first coffee in a month and so I sat for an hour fiddling with a poem about clouds, angels and cadillacs.

A lazy stream of obese clouds
with funny haircuts on their skulls
on dark flat bellies slide down south
above an angel made of rust

who looks up on that parade
to all the glitter and the plumes
of those clouds that cast their shades
dancing over avenues

for driving topless Cadillacs
long and red from ‘63
with extremely lowered backs
and licence plates that scrape the street

and drivers that look like Wayne Knight
Newman from the Seinfeld show
Who rev their Cadillacs with pride
And to be seen they drive real slow

And decorating each rear-view
Where Newmans check out their haircuts
Each car holds hanging from a noose
A little angel made of rust

When I went back to bed I don’t think that I slept but I did zone out enough to lose track sometimes of the passage of time.
            After yoga, guitar practice, trying to transcribe the song “Les Millionaires” from audio and reading some lecture notes, I went to bed again but still couldn’t sleep. I laid down for an hour and got up again. In the early afternoon I went to bed again and finally got some sleep for almost an hour and a half.
            I reviewed all of my lecture notes from January to April in preparation for next Wednesday’s exam.
            I did another edit of my poem “Cumulonimbus”.
            I started re-reading my lecture notes.
            I made curried lima beans for dinner and watched The Rifleman.
            The story begins with Lucas and Mark discovering that the North Fork school has  been vandalized by a former student named Johnny Clover. Johnny was 18 and much older than the other kids but he had been a very good student. Suddenly though he’d declared that he didn’t want to go to school anymore. The teacher, Miss Adams doesn’t want to press charges and so Lucas goes out to talk to Johnny’s uncle Gus. Gus says Johnny doesn’t want to go to school but he’ll work out a way to repay the damage. The reality though is that Gus forced Johnny to say he didn’t want to go to school. After Lucas leaves, Gus tries to beat Johnny but Johnny beats him back and then he drinks his uncle’s liquor and goes into town with a gun. He begins to shoot up the saloon until Lucas comes in. Johnny points a gun at Lucas and tells Mark he’ll shoot his father if he doesn’t tell him how hard his father whups him. Mark says that his father never whups him. Johnny says, “That aint fair! I been whuped every day of my life!” Lucas disarms Johnny and Mark convinces his father to give Johnny a job so he can pay the damage he did to the school. Lucas organizes a picnic to raise money to replace the school books that Johnny had destroyed and Johnny draws portraits of people for $2 each. He’s so good at it that he has a lot of customers. Suddenly Gus shows up with a whip but instead of whipping Johnny he says he’s going to shoot his drawing hand. Lucas shoots Gus in the shoulder and stops him. It turns out that the ranch was Johnny’s inheritance from his parents and that Gus was just acting as guardian to live off Johnny. After this incident Gus leaves and Johnny sells the ranch so he can go to art school back east.
            Johnny was played by Dennis Hopper.
            Miss Adams was played by Patricia Barry. She was known as one of the hardest working actors in Hollywood and though she mostly played supporting roles she appeared in over 300 films and TV shows.



No comments:

Post a Comment