Saturday 6 April 2019

Onion Dues



            On Friday morning there was a cold wind blowing directly into the apartment so I couldn’t open the window very wide without it chilling me and knocking over all the paper I have piled up from my courses.
            I had tea for the first time in three weeks. I was buzzing on caffeine by the time the cup was finished. I weighed 89 kilos before breaking my fast with a salad and dressing at lunchtime. I had bought green onions the night before but maybe I'd forgotten to put them in my bag at the checkout counter because they were nowhere to be found at home, although they are listed on my bill of sale.
            I spent a lot of the day writing my journal entry for Thursday.
            For dinner I had lettuce, cucumber, tomato, avocadoes, roasted seaweed and artichoke hearts with raspberry vinaigrette dressing while watching the Rifleman.
            This one was kind of a limp story. A bounty hunter named Ferris is looking for a wanted man named Morley. Morley turns out to be an old acquaintance of Lucas McCain. Morley goes to see Lucas, who’d thought Morley had been killed years ago. Morley shows Lucas a wanted poster that shows he’s worth $500. He wants Lucas to turn him in, keep $200 and give $300 to his woman, Beth, who is sick and needs to go to get medical care in St Louis.  Morley’s condition is that he won’t turn himself in until Beth is on her way because she knows nothing of his outlaw past. Doc Burrage examines Beth and they have their own secret from Morley. She only has another month to live and no treatment in St Louis will help. She wants to sneak away from Morley to avoid hurting him but Lucas convinces her to take the stage. Ferris tries to get to Morley but Lucas kills him. Beth leaves and Morley turns himself in. This was the most poorly written episode so far. 
            Beth was played by Katharine Bard who did a few movies and TV shows, some of which were produced by her husband Martin Manulis. Manulis produced the shows Playhouse 90, Suspense, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis and Adventures in Paradise. He also produced the film “Days of Wine and Roses”. She was married to him for 44 years until she died.

No comments:

Post a Comment