Monday 1 July 2024

Mala Powers


            On Sunday morning I memorized the sixth verse of “S'il pleauvait des larmes” (If it Rained in Tears) by Boris Vian. There are just two verses left to nail down. 
            I finished memorizing “Litanie en Lituanie” (Litany in Lithuania) by Serge Gainsbourg. I searched for the chords but no one has posted them and so I worked them out for the first line.
            I played my Gibson Les Paul Studio during song practice. Yesterday evening I changed the A string and today it stayed in tune but some of the other strings went out from time to time.
            I weighed 88.2 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I’ve been in the morning since last Sunday. 
            Around midday I took an early bike ride because I wanted to buy the Boss FS6 foot switch at Long and McQuade. It was cheaper than I remember from when I asked about it there a month or so ago. After tax I paid $125.30. 
           I used their washroom and then finished my bike ride. On Yonge they were preparing for the Pride parade and there were already cops and roadblocks. I was able to ride down Yonge with no traffic until Dundas and then it was blocked off. I rode west to University where the construction is winding down. For the last several months there is been only a single lane for all traffic and a lot of delays, but now there’s a bike lane. 
           When I got back to Parkdale I saw the big guy who looks like Santa Clause sitting with his big wooden begging bowl in front of the Dollarama. I approached to ask him about appearing in my video for $10 and he’s interested. He suggested that we do it on Canada Day when foot traffic will be low and I said it would need to be in the late afternoon light, so I might get my first clip of someone pretending to sing “sit here and wait for the next state of grace” tomorrow. I found out his name is David.
            I weighed 88.55 kilos before lunch. I had saltines with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of low sugar iced tea.
            I unpacked the Boss FS6 and saw that it requires a nine volt battery. It came with one but the light didn’t come on when I connected it. I went to the hardware store to get a rechargeable but they had just closed at 16:00 and of course won’t be open on the holiday Monday. I won’t be able to use it then until Wednesday. 
            I weighed 88.1 kilos at 16:15. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:30. 
            I reviewed the song practice videos of my performances of “The Wooden Leg” and “La jambe de bois” from September 1 to 6. On September 1 I played “The Wooden Leg” on my Martin acoustic guitar and the take at 12:45 in part B was okay and looked good. On September 5 I played it on my Kramer electric guitar and the take at 12:15 in part B was okay but there was traffic noise. On September 4 I played “La jambe de bois” on the Kramer and the take at 9:15 in part B was okay and looked good. On September 6 I played it on the Martin and the take at 9:15 in part B was pretty good and this session is already synchronized in Movie Maker. 
            I imported to Audacity the MP3 file of the second cassette that I converted. This tape contained a few different recordings. There was an interview with me on the Howl radio show; a rehearsal with Donna Bartkiw of her song; my rehearsal with Brian Haddon of “Sixteen Tons of Dogma”; Brian playing while I fumble; and a conversation with Donna. 
            I made pizza on a broken naan with Basilica sauce, chicken kebabs and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 4, episodes 6 and 7 of Bewitched
            In the first story Samantha has lost her powers. Endora calls Dr. Bombay and he concludes that they aren’t lost but rather dammed up from lack of use. He prescribes her resting in a state of levitation until she is cured. Meanwhile Darrin doesn’t know anything about this. He’s focused on a brilliant campaign he designed for Carter Brothers which is about to earn him a big bonus. But then Darrin learns that the final assessment of the contract is being done by a lawyer named MJ Nilesmunster. MJ stands for Mary Jane and Darrin went to school with her. She swore she would get him for jilting her. Darrin and Larry go to her hotel room. Mary jane has yet to enter from the other room and Darrin calls Samantha. Endora tells him she can’t talk because she is flying. Then Darrin sees a fly and thinks it’s Samantha come to influence his deal. Mary Jane walks into the room and acts like she doesn’t know Darrin, then looks over the contract and signs it. Darrin is so sure that Samantha was the cause that he is depressed and goes to a bar. He comes home late and drunk. Samantha tries to assure him that she’s been home all day and that her powers aren’t working but suddenly the dam bursts and they are out of control. When Darrin doesn’t believe her she tells him to go back to the bar and suddenly he is there. Later he goes to talk to Mary Jane and finds that she did recognize him but she has grown up and bears no grudge. Darrin once again has to apologize to Samantha for not trusting her. This has happened on many occasions and it doesn’t seem like their partnership is really based on trust. 
            Mary Jane was played by Mala Powers, who fell in love with acting upon attending a Max Reinhardt junior workshop as a child. Her first film role was a small part in Tough As They Come at the age of 11. But she chose to finish school and not to become a child actor. She worked on radio where she met and became close friends with Ida Lupino who cast her as the star of her film Outrage. She co-starred as Roxane in Cyrano de Bergerac (for which she was nominated for a Golden Globe). She co-starred in The Yellow Mountain, Rose of Cimarron, City Beneath the Sea, City That Never Sleeps, Rage at Dawn, The Storm Rider, The Unknown Terror, The Colossus of New York, Flight of the Lost Balloon, The Doomsday Machine, and Man on the Prowl. She played Mona on the final season of Hazel. She played Marian Crane on The Man and the City. She became a teacher of the Michael Chekhov acting technique. 
            In the second story Darrin is trying to hone up on his golf skills in order to impress a potential client. Endora wants to prove her point that humans are never satisfied so she casts a spell to make Darrin as good a golfer as he was in college. Baxter won’t sign the contract until he has played golf with Darrin. Samantha comes for lunch before the game and meets Joe’s wife Margaret Baxter who says the best thing that could happen is for Joe to lose. Larry thinks the best thing that could happen for his company is for Darrin to lose and so he keeps on trying to sabotage Darrin’s game, by for example kicking his ball inside of a can. But with Samantha’s help Darrin hits the can and where it lands the ball rolls out into the hole. Joe loses and says he’s going to cancel the contract but Margaret reminds him that although he is president she owns the company. Joe accepts defeat and everything is fine. Later Darrin tells Samantha he’s going pro. She tells him she helped him with magic and he says he was just kidding and knew it all along, especially after sinking a thirty meter shot out of a can.
















No comments:

Post a Comment