Friday 8 July 2011

A Selection of my Haiku

While riding my bike

I chew upon dust and bugs

with both my eyelids

Je prends mon vélo,

à mâche sur les insectes

avec mes paupières.


Pretty young woman

shivering in her short dress

won't let summer go.

Une jolie jeune femme

transie dan sa minirobe

s’accroche a l'été.


Light from the billboard

illuminating the fog

that conceals its ad.

Panneau d'affichage

illumine le brouillard

qui couvre l'annonce.


While I ride upon

a moving mountain of hay

meteors scratch the sky


Beach after sunset

objects of rusted metal

glow as from within.


Too cold for picking

the young boy waits for sunrise

inside his barrel.


 As I grow older

profiting from sentiment

I write more haiku.


Her tombstone shadow

extends to touch his grave-site.

His reaches away.


 Haiku based on the approximate minimum stimulus for each of the five senses.

On a clear, dark night

fifty klicks in the distance

a candle-flame glows.


All is very still

but six meters down the hall

the tick of a clock.


Teaspoon of sugar

in nine-liters of water

your iced-tea still sweet.


One drop on the bulb

then walking through all six rooms

I smell your fragrance.


It impacts my cheek

from a centimeter’s height

the wing of a fly.


College barbecue

the guy flipping the burgers

thinks I’m a street bum.


Resting from plowing

Dad chats with a Maine farmer

over the border.


Three Haiku inspired by the three stages of a Renku I wrote with Hans Jongman.

After the first bite

my guest dips the home-made bread

into his coffee.


In front of the church

a man mistakes our writing

for a cocaine deal.


Home-made raft for two

suspended from the small roof

wife in a hammock.


The cats' bowls empty

waddling out the back door

three fat young raccoons.


At the psyche lecture

a jumble of recorders

get the closest  seats.


Haiku for Poetry Readings

At the open stage

there is a big argument

over John's haiku.


In the audience

a loud-mouthed geek with a watch

calls the reader's time.


Unlike the features

readers on open stages

do not have last names.


Tension fills the room

while struggling to read on stage

Cad Gold hesitates.


No comments:

Post a Comment