Friday 29 July 2011

Temporary Eternity

On a warm night
in July in
Nineteen Seventy Two,
five teenagers
and a dog went
down to Lake Ontario,
caught a taxi
to the Island
from Toronto’s harbourfront.
I was with them
and the others
were Dave, Jim, Max & Mark.

and all
of us
were temporary, yet precious ornaments,
in style for just one dirty summer on those bright
Toronto streets.

Half an hour
just before that,
after all night panhandling,
we’d all managed
to buy ten hits of
“Green Frog” blotter acid.
We dropped two each,
And walked down Yonge street
to begin our adventure.
 
and all
of them
were only visiting their minds, but I was on a mission of experience, and I may have hoped, but I didn’t know that I would never be the same again.

As we stepped from
the floating taxi
onto Center Island’s dock,
paid the driver,
and faced the greenery,
we were starting to get off.

and it started
when everything seemed
to be made out of microdots,
and as I watched them
they started moving
around each other in orbits.
First there were two each
in simple circles
until more and more joined in
and the orbits
became more complex,
like mandalas in motion,
then turned to objects
I recognized like
trucks, animals and people
rising out of
that central whirlpool
of dancing electric shapes
to the center
of my vision,
or was my perceiving eye
being drawn out
into the traffic
of these shapes outside my body
through the tunnel
from which they came on
a conveyor belt of dreams?

And all
of us
stumbled like children onto their first playground,
that had been waiting through the silent and empty ages
just for the five of us.

Me and the others
wandered into
a maze made out of hedges
that had been used by
many millions
but we knew it had been built for us.
Mark and I pushed
one another
back and forth through the foam thick air,
both of us laughing
hysterically,
our backs cushioned by the hedge.
But then suddenly
a push sent me
deep inside of the hedge.
I let yourself pour
into the mold of
a long delicious descent,
and ended up stretched
on my back between
the hedge and the metal fence.

and all
of me
stared like a boy up from a summer hilltop,
but this sky shivered that nervous crimson that illuminates one’s dreams.

With a softness
excruciating
that sky unfolded back,
and behind it
was one more sky
even truer than the last.
and its zenith
was a crown like
a pulsating breathing gill
(Since I was virgin
 I didn’t recognize
that it was something more vaginal)

and it opened to let my perceiver through to the next sky, the next and the next and the next until I knew that all of existence was made out of worlds in worlds in worlds in worlds in worlds in worlds in worlds...

and all
my mind
was clear and my heart felt flutteringly pregnant with a caterpillar fetus that held a butterfly within.
and all
my Mind
fell through one last sky that was calling your name like it knew me and I felt so recognized. It called      Christian!
Christian!
Christian!

I heard
my name
like a bell that was ringing from the core of reality,
but the calling became more desperate
and the voices more familiar.
Then all
the voices
became the shouts of Dave, Jim, Max and Mark as they searched the rapids of paranoia in panic for my body.

So I got up
out of the bush
that had burned with so much calm,
yet also frantic
as a beehive
made from swarming electrons.
All my friends were
on the outside
running around and shouting,
calling my name
like they were hawkers
with only my absence to sell.
I felt Christlike,
very peaceful
on emerging to greet my friends.
Mark approached me
and my arms reached out
to receive his fond embrace.

But both
his hands
came lunging angrily to grab my throat, I fell back with him on top,  his hands were tightening around my neck.
Cause he
had been
the most emotional about my absence,
and when we get that concerned our egos get addicted and start to use that emotion to define ourselves,
so when
the one
who inspired concern shows up unscathed we feel cheated,
this source of energy melts before our eyes like that witch in Oz and for the sake of survival all we know sometimes is that its time for us to attack.

But this trip was
so much larger
than the elements it contained,
every moment
a steamroller,
a massive, snorting machine
with yellow body
and flashing strobelights
shushing around the bend.
It was monstrous,
otherworldly,
like nothing we had ever seen.

So all
of us
panicked and scattered into separate directions, and I ended up standing in a tulip garden whose painted lips had beckoned to me.

On electric cords
they were waving.
I stood over one of them.
Coloured energies
ascended in waves
that were bleeding up through the air.
Petals opened,
a tongue was revealed,
though not a human tongue,
but the real tongue
of a flower,
I got down on my knees.
  
I stared
inside
down a ridged stairway to a sugared cavern,
and there was bleeding sex in its open mouth that pivoted above gravity.
I placed
my eye
to its luminous mouth like a telescope and saw the boneless chasm to orgasm that were its vaginal insides,
then I felt
my nipples
turn to petals, then from my cock there sprouted a tulip, red that opened to spill its seed and the cycle went on and on, and now that I was thoroughly part of it I had the right to leave

Walking onto
a tiny bridge that
crossed a swan sailing stream
I stood there watching
the lazy water
while the bridge was swaying in the breeze.

But thought: “Wait
a minute!
The bridge is moving!”, I grabbed the railing and hung on for my life as the bridge began flapping as if it were a flag in a storm!
  
I was terrified
that it would throw me in the water below,
forgetting that the water was probably only less than five feet down.
Beyond panic
it came back to me this was just an acid trip,
and I was only hallucinating because bridges don’t flap in the wind.

It subsided,
I walked off the bridge
and rejoined all of my mates
who said they’d just watched
all of Toronto
sink down into the lake,
except that Max claimed
it had gone up
like a hat on a mushroom cloud.
We all wandered
to the harbour
to wait for the first ferry.
When it came we
took the top deck,
but they sat further away.

On the way back
they started playing
those goofy acid freak out games.
They were sitting
at an angle
and Dave was pointing at me,
nudging the others,
wagging red eyebrows
and that’s when I started laughing.

 It
 possessed me!
I laughed and laughed while they poked their fun at me
by simply just looking at each other and then mugging back at me.
I couldn’t stop
As the ferry kept floating from island to island,
 it was starting to hurt my stomach and yet I couldn’t hold it in.
I tumbled down
an endless spiraling stairway of laughter.
The conductor came and you kept on laughing as he kicked us all off of the ship.
He told
us all
that we’d been riding from city to island maybe three or four times back and forth and it was time that we got off.

Just behind them
I was following
with both hands on my belly,
but couldn’t hold
in the laughter
all the way up Yonge street
as I walked on
a mosaic
of interconnected frogs
I was laughing
up to Wellesley
and over to Queen’s Park
to the lawn where
all the tents were
pitched in front of Hart House
I collapsed then
on the grass and
went to sleep for twenty hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment