Monday 8 August 2016

Rhubarb!

           


            At the food bank on June 22nd, I couldn’t stay in line because of all the smokers. Whenever one person finished their cigarette in front of me, someone else lit up behind me. It would have been better if they’d all just smoked at the same time. That way I could have at least had a break during their between fag intervals.
            A man leaning on one of the garbage bins was telling another a man by the door that he’d quit smoking a few years ago but had given up drinking years before that because it was too expensive and too much trouble.
            The man by the door asked, “Did you stop drinking before you stopped doing this?” He pointed at the crook of his own arm to indicate the place where one would inject a needle.
            The man by the garbage told him that he had kept on doing drugs for a while after he stopped drinking.
            After several minutes there was breathable air around my place in line, so I stepped back in. I was still reading the French tween book, “Klonk” by Francois Gravel and periodically consulting my Le Robert et Collins French-English dictionary. There was a tall, scraggly haired man about my age behind me who had been one of the smokers that had earlier caused me to step out of line. He was watching me, and finally commented, “A dictionary is a good thing to have!” I closed mine and showed him the cover, telling him that it was French. He nodded and said, “Even more important!” Then asked, “Do you speak French?” I answered that I could speak it well enough to almost understand a book for eleven year olds. He said, “Well that’s better than me!” Then he proceeded to tell me that when he’d been younger he’d been immersed in a francophone community in northern Quebec as a volunteer for Katimavik. He rattled off a few phrases that showed his pronunciation is far better than mine. It turns out that we have a few things in common. We’re both originally from New Brunswick and we both had a parent that was a schoolteacher.
            Later on when I came to pick up my food, the exact same items were on the top of the first set of shelves as there were the week before: pickles, artificially sweetened lemonade mix and olive oil spray. I took another can of the spray, even though I already had five of them and haven’t even tried it yet. But I’m almost finished with the big jug of canola oil that my upstairs neighbour gave me a few months ago, and I’ll be very surprised when I start using the spray if each can lasts very long.
The next shelf down still had lots of Triscuits, but also some Vegetable Thins and some Ryvita rye crisps with “a hint of chilli”. I took the crisps.
My helper gave me a handful of granola bars from the bottom shelf. I usually just keep those in my bag and eat them when I’m out late at night at open stages after missing dinner.
From the bean shelf I took the navy beans, which was the very last can that they had.
The cereal section had a choice of Apple Jacks or Shreddies, so I took the Shreddies.
There was dog food on the bottom of the last set of shelves, but no cat food this time. Fortunately I bought a big bag of kibble a while ago that will last for a while.
There were very slim pickings across the aisle where the refrigerated food is offered. There was a choice between a one-litre bag of chocolate milk or a litre of 2% milk. I took the white stuff.
            I skipped the bread this time around because I had some already.
            The vegetable lady gave me two tomatoes, three potatoes and a turnip. Then she asked if I wanted some rhubarb. I enthusiastically said that I did. She gave me the rest of what she had, which wasn’t much, but rhubarb is a rare treat in my adult life, though we had lots of it growing alongside the barn when I was a kid. I commented that it was the first time I’d seen rhubarb at the food bank. She told me that a lady had just brought it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment