Monday 15 August 2016

Songs For The Dead

           


            On the pleasant evening of June 22nd, I headed out for the Fat Albert’s open stage. There was construction along College Street beginning at Bathurst and going east, so I walked my bike along the sidewalk for a few blocks until I could mount it again.
I arrived at Fat Albert’s and signed up. My two earliest possibilities to play were either number 2 or number 5. I would have preferred number 5, but since both Charles Winder and dark Cloud had written themselves in before that I was afraid that with the long flamenco pieces that Charles plays and the long songs that dark Cloud writes, that even with number 5, I might not get on before the feature.
            When I walked in, Brian Rosen was rehearsing back up vocals for one of Dark Cloud’s songs. They spent about an hour working on the piece that he wrote about Martin Luther King.
            There was no one setting up the sound at that point so I set up the tripods and mounted the speakers, hoping I’d gotten it right this time.
            When he and Brian took a break from rehearsing, Dark Cloud asked me what’s been happening at the Tranzac. I told him that I find playing for an audience of only musicians to be extremely cannibalistic. Both Dark Cloud and Bob Allen, who was sitting nearby, nodded in agreement. Brian’s ears perked up when he heard that there was an open stage at the Tranzac, until he heard what time it starts. Going out to perform in the last two hours of the day did not appeal to him at all.
            I went to the washroom and found John Reid sitting on the floor and playing guitar with his back to the wall. I thought that with the shadows cast by the bright overhead light, it made for an interesting image, so I asked if I could take his picture.
The paper towel dispenser is right in the corner behind the door. I was drying my hands when the building manager for the Steelworkers Hall opened the door and bumped me. He didn’t apologize, but rather gave me an accusing look as if to ask, “What the hell are you doing drying your hands when I’m opening the door?”
I came back and took three photos of John as he practiced Gordon Lightfoot’s “Early Morning Rain”. I told him if he gave me his email address I’d send them to him. He said he had one but didn’t know it, so he’d give it to me next time.
            Later, while I was sitting in the Fat Albert’s room, the building manager came to stand in the doorway and look around, giving everybody the hairy eyeball. When I saw Glen Gary I told him, and he explained that Fat Albert’s hadn’t been confirmed yet for the next week and so he the guy had been looking for him to clear that up.
            The open stage began as usual with Charles Winder, who just did one long flamenco piece that had lots of light percussion made by finger tapping after each downward strum.
            I was after Charles, and started with my translation of Serge Gainsbourg’s “L’accordion” – “ … When sometimes he massacres her buttons of pearl, he’ll rip one of his own for his accordion. When her support is in ganger he’ll lend his suspenders, so what holds his pants on is an accordion …”
            I followed this with my own “Next State of Grace” – “ … My mind hangs above this emotional wreck, like a scavenger looking for parts, and it lives in a mansion that’s built from the sweat of my tar paper third world heart …”
            The audience was actually listening this time when I played.
            Then it was Brian Rosen’s turn.
            Brian started with the traditional song, “The Three Sailor Boys” – “ We are three jolly, jolly sailor boys newly home from South Amerikee, our hearts still tingling from the salt, salt wind and the tumble and the tossing of the sea … Wind is in the sail and the thunder’s in the gale and the good ship is plunging to be free …”
            Brian told us that his second choice was about real estate, and then he sang George Vaughn Horton’s “Mockingbird Hill” – “ … Got a three-cornered plough and an acre to till and a mule that I bought for a ten dollar bill. There’s a tumble down shack and an old rusty mill and it’s my home sweet home on Mockingbird Hill …”
            Dark Cloud followed Brian, and he introduced his first song with a story. He told us that back in 1980 he had a friend that called him over to his place. When he arrived his friend informed him that he had a special telephone with which he could call heaven. He handed the phone to Dark Cloud and told him that he could call anyone in heaven with whom he wanted to speak, so he called Martin Luther King. When he asked if there was anything he could do, King asked him to write a song for him – “Well I woke up that morning and what did I see? Tears of a nation … Try walking side by side with full pride … Do you remember me? I had a dream … Do you remember the shots and the screams? My name is Martin Luther King …”
            From Dark Cloud’s second song – “ … I’ll still be by your side on that last train ride … Wheels slowing down, passing through Nashville town … the hour glass is empty, no more sand …”
            Next came Dawn.
            Her first song sounded like it was one of her own compositions – “You’re so wrong about me … let me be free … from tyranny … We’re all animals … Go and be brave, go and make history … I’m at your mercy … Liberation for the animals, cause we are all animals … Fear is what guides harmful behaviour.”
            Dawn’s second song also had the feel of being home made – “Venus, queen of love divine … Ocean of love, flowing free … join us now … let our hearts be one … bring my true love unto me.”
            Bob Allen received the formal introduction of “Robert Allen” when it was his turn. Glen Gary assisted him on the piano when he sang his own song, “Kenny and Charlie” – “I met a steamfitter named Charlie, he worked on the job every day … He had an old dog named Charlie … If anything happened to Charlie, I’m sure old Kenny would die … They both made a very good team, fixing them pumps and them boilers, a man and his dog and his dream …” Bob told us that it was a true story with a very good ending.
            Robert’s second song was another of his own – “Where have you been all my life, the ones I’ve known were full of strife … I can’t help feeling blue when you run into town with someone new … This does not change my mind, you see, I love you more each time we meet … and when you’re through with your old man, I’ll be around to take your hand …”
            After Bob was John Reid, who started with Neil Young’s “Rockin In the Free World” – “ … There’s a lot of people saying we’d be better off dead, I don’t feel like Satan but I am to them … I see a woman in the night with a baby in her hand … near a garbage can she puts the kid away and goes to get a hit … There’s one more kid that will never go to school, never get to fall in love, never get to be cool … Got Styrofoam boxes for the ozone layer … got fuel to burn, got roads to drive …”
            John’s second offering was a guitar instrumental of his own composition, called “Tuesday”. It was a good, complex and well-played piece.
            Then it was time for the feature of the night. It was Brian Morgan, with Lucien Millette on bass.
            Brian began with a story from the night before of he and Lucien rehearsing in the back yard and it started to rain. The thing was though that it was only raining on one chair. They looked up and saw that it was a raccoon urinating from above.
            Brian began with his own “Bad Mama Blues” for which Lucien played an intro on the harmonica – “I wanna testify … Every goose has a gander … but mine never comes home … She jiggles at the bar like an earthquake in a jar …” There was the repeated phrase of “Bad mama” with which the audience sang along …”
            Lucien played bass on Brian’s second song, which he said he wrote on a trip to Newfoundland, after visiting the old French fort at Placentia Bay. The song is called “Save A Moment For Me”. I’ve heard him do this song on several occasions. It’s from the perspective of a French soldier serving as a lookout in the fort, with lots of time to be homesick – “I live on dreams … Looking for ships that can’t be seen … Straining my eyes through a curtain of sea … Here on the ramparts the wind chills the bone … It’s been three years … The glory of kings I serve … I can see Paris when I close my eyes … Guard un second pour moi … lorsque je passerai eternite sans toi …” The French would be “save a second for me … when I’m passing an eternity without you.”
            Brian said that his next offering was a song of inflation from million to billion. The music was written in a Caribbean style and sung in a fake accent that is associated with that region, and Lucien sang backup vocals on the chorus – “Now I runnin round in circles and squares … Ooh whee, we gotta get us a billion … It doesn’t really make a lot of sense, there’s nothing left after the food and rent …”
            After that song, Brian and Lucien switched guitars. I had thought at first that Lucien was only accompanying Brian, but it turned out but it turned out that they were splitting the feature.
            Lucien did all covers, and his first was a Stan Rogers song called “Make and Break Harbour”, for which Brian sang the high harmony, even though he’d only first heard it the night before – “ … Once more we tack home with a dry, empty hold, saving gas with the breezes so fair, She’s a kindly Cape Islander, old but still sound, lost in the longliner’s shadow … The fish are so few that she won’t be replaced, should she founder. It’s so hard not to think of before the big war when the cod were so cheap and so plenty, foreign trawlers go by now with long seeing eyes, taking all when we hardly take any … The big draggers have stirred up the bay, leaving lobster traps smashed on the bottom …”
            Lucien took a moment to find the music for his next selection, which was Gordon Lightfoot’s “Carefree Highway”, on the chorus of which Brian sane backup – “ … Her name was Ann and I’ll be damned if I recall her face … The thing that I call living is just being satisfied without knowing I have no one left to blame … Searching through the fragments of my dream shattered sleep …”
            Lucien then put on his harmonica holder and announced that his last choice would be a Neil Young song. Mary Milne shouted out a reminder that Neil Young played Fat Albert’s back in the 60s.  The song was “Long May You Run”, which I had only figured out a few years ago was a love song to a car. Before that I’d thought the automobile imagery was metaphorical. Brian sang on the chorus while Glen Gary clapped out a rhythm from offstage – “ … It was back in Blind River in 1962 when I last saw you alive, but we missed that shift on the long decline … With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run …” Brian’s harmony saved Lucien’s voice as it faltered on this one.
            Brian Morgan is a talented musician and songwriter, with a good voice. His songs, though not all outstanding, all stand apart from one another. He writes in a variety of styles, and while his lyrics are not exceptionally good, they do show that he puts a lot of thought into them. Lucien Millette works fine as a backup musician for Brian, but I think it was not a good choice for them to split their feature. As Brian performed original songs and sang them with a much better voice, he made Lucien look bad by comparison.
            Mary reminded everyone that the following week would be the last Fat Albert’s until the first Wednesday after Labour Day, so as usual there would be pot luck. Glen added, “We need roast beef, smoked meat, cold pheasant, caviar …” We were also reminded that next week would be Mary Milne’s retirement from hosting party.
            Returning to the open stage, the first performer was Bridget, with help from Ruth Jenkins.
            From her first song – “Watch what you say and watch what you do, watch what you wish for cause it might come true …”
            Bridget’s second offering was a break-up song called “You’re Still In My Heart”.
            After Bridget, performers were limited to one song each.
            Next came Elizabeth Block, who told us first of all that she’d gone to a town hall last week on the Trans Pacific Partnership, which is a trade agreement between twelve Pacific Rim countries, including Canada. She said all but one spoke against it. She quoted what she said that night, “Do I like it? No, no! I am a resister! Resisting still!” She added that as the Quakers say, “I spoke to everyone’s condition.”
            The song that Elizabeth did was in honour of her feelings on the topic of free trade. It was Grit Laskin’s “The Margins of My Neighbourhood” – “On Wednesday night I had a job …. And a begging I will go … I go past the smart cafes where I used to live … I am headed for the food bank … When there are factories on the moon, will the earth be on the dole?”
            John Stroud’s song choice was entitled “Words Like A Door”, though I don’t know who wrote it – “The words I use are dated, lines on pages faded … words like a door don’t seem to fit anymore …”
            When Mary introduced Glen Gary, she urged us to be nice to him, because he’ll be on his own next fall. Brian Morgan on violin and Wayne Neon on flute joined him on stage. Glen dedicated “Swing Low Sweet Chariot” to an old friend of Fat Albert’s named Correna, who had recently died. I think that the funeral had been that day.
            Then everyone remained on stage, plus Ruth stepped up to accompany Marianne Peck as she sang “You Are My Sunshine”. Ruth sang backup vocals. Glen directed the other musicians, calling for a violin solo after one verse, a flute solo after another and harmonica after another. Harmonica and flute do not blend well together.
            Next was someone new named Scott Rogers.  He did not name an author for the song he sang – “Take my hand and show me the right way to go … The road is dark and I’m afraid to walk this way alone … This life that I’ve led and all the riches that surround me, they’re like a stone that I’m sure in time will drown me … In love and ambition I have often travelled blind … My thoughts turn to envy and my actions are unkind …”
            After Scott came Isaac Bonk, who sang his own “Ballad of Sammy Yatim” – “ … The officers thought he would kill … His mind was lost, a line he did cross … That knife in his hand … Guns were pulled … They aimed … These cops felt no shame for the boy of 18 … The tension it grew as the bullets they flew … Now Sammy lay dead, all covered in red … nine bullets all that he was fed … The blood on their hands it’s too much to stand …”
            Michelle Lecce Hewett invited Brian and Wayne to accompany her for her song, which she wrote recently while going through her cancer journey. She told us that while she was sitting at the arts and crafts table at Sunnybrook Hospital, she drew a palm tree and tried to think of calm things. What came to mind was the phrase, “hope spring connection”, and that led to her song, “Give Me Faith” – “ … Lately I’ve been hiding, hiding away … Once I danced to Bowie, now I’m left with his songs … Give me faith, give me hope, give me connection …”
            Michelle was followed by Neil Trotter, a name that one would expect to be attached to someone with a British accent, and it is. He told us that he works for the government, pushing paper, and he looks like he does too. He sang Steve Earle’s “My Old Friend The Blues” in a nasal voice, but it was an effective rendition nonetheless – “ … Another lonely night, a nameless town, If sleep don’t take me first you’ll come around …”
            When Peter James came to the stage with his guitar, I thought that he was going to do a song, but he performed an instrumental piece. He told us that he plays it every day when he wakes up and while doing so thinks about friendships, what he might have done wrong and what he can do to make things right. He dedicated it to Correnna Lee.
            Randy was next, and as usual he’d brought a CD player, with which he sang along. This time it was Carole King’s “So Far Away”. At the end he was crying over the death of Correnna Lee, though I got the sense that Randy had not known the person at all.
            Always near the end, then came Ruth Jenkins, with Brian on violin and Glen on piano. She sang John Denver’s “Annie’s Song”, dedicated it to Correnna, and then declared, “She’s still here in the ether and that’s all there is to it!” At one point Ruth got lost and so she asked Brian to take a solo. He played facing Glen as to follow the chords.
            After Ruth was Wayne Neon, who dedicated his rendition of Hedy West’s “500 Miles” to Correnna Lee. Glen played piano and Brian played violin.
            I wondered where Tom Hamilton was this night. It seemed an odd coincidence that the only night he didn’t show up was when there was another fiddle player in the room.
            This was followed by Zoe Henderson doing a short instrumental on her ukulele. 
            The second to last performer of the night was Elizabeth Knowlton, who also dedicated her song to Correnna Lee. It seems to me that all of these dedications to Correnna would have been more useful to her if she’d received them while she was alive.
            Elizabeth read the lyrics from the music stand, which was quite a ways away from her – “I was never born, I will never die … I’m the smile upon your face … I’m the one you love to see, I’m the one you long to be … I am the ancient one … There’s a million questions, I’m the answer … I’m the sickness and the cure … I’m this twisted fate … I’m the one that bends … I’m the trouble and the fun … I’m the only place to run …”
            The last singers were the duo of Carole Farkash and Paul Nash. Unusually, Paul did not have his guitar with him this time. They sang “Today” by Randy Sparks” – “Today while the blossoms still cling to the vine, I’ll taste your strawberries, I’ll drink your sweet wine. A million tomorrows will all pass away ‘ere I forget all the joy that is mine today … I can’t be contented with yesterday’s glory, I can’t live on promises winter to spring. Today is my moment, now is my story …” When Carole and Paul were finished, they gave each other a hug, and then he took her hand to help her down from the stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment