Tuesday 17 October 2017

Tom La Pierre



        Since I had to work early on Monday morning I rushed through my songs. I managed to eat some peanuts and drink a glass of milk but the coffee I made got sipped once before I had to leave.                                                                                                      It was surprisingly chilly outside and though I was wearing my fall gloves I would have been more comfortable with my winter ones and even a scarf. My fingers were almost numb once I’d gotten to OCADU.
            I was scheduled to work for Greg Damery and thought that I would be continuing a nude portrait that I’d started on the Monday before Thanksgiving. When he arrived though he told me that he hadn’t even known that I’d been booked for two weeks in a row. The class wasn’t prepared to continue with the same pose, so after three ten-minute poses and a twenty he had me start a different long pose, which I did for the rest of the day.
            He asked if I wanted to have the same arrangement as the time before whereby we didn’t take a midway coffee break so we could have a 40-minute lunch break and also leave twenty minutes early at the end of the day. I said that would be fine but asked him to let me know when it was time to leave because the last time I actually continued working and only ended up leaving five minutes early. He felt bad about that and explained that he never wears a watch and really hadn’t known. I felt bad for making him feel bad and told him that I hadn’t thought that he’d deliberately ripped me off.
The room was quite cold and so he got me an extra heater. I was feeling kind of dozy though and I was embarrassed that on two occasions that morning he felt that he had to call, “Wake up!” He bought me a coffee at lunchtime and I laid down on the stage for a while. I didn’t sleep but the rest seemed to help because I was wide-awake in the afternoon.
Greg told the story of something horrible that happened to a former OCA instructor named Tom LaPierre. I had worked quite a bit back in the 80s at the college for both him and his wife, Pat Clems. Greg said that a few years ago Tom and Pat were walking downtown on a windy night when a sign broke off and slammed him in the head, causing immediate brain damage and then death a year or so later. I had never heard about that.
Greg, who has a strong understanding of anatomy, while helping a student draw my left ankle, noticed there was something odd about it and asked if I’d ever broken it. I told him that I’d sprained it several times over the years and then finally fractured it.
Greg said his father had gotten shot through the leg during the war in an attack that killed his entire tank crew. The only reason he hadn’t been killed as well was because he just happened to be standing up in the tank at the time. Supposedly his dad was behind enemy lines for three days and killed 15 Germans.
I stopped at Freshco on the way home where I bought some ground beef and a few other items. After lunch and a siesta I spent the rest of the day working on my philosophy essay, which was due the next day.

                

No comments:

Post a Comment