Sunday 8 October 2017

Treading Into Winter



            On Saturday morning I skipped going to the food bank because I needed to start an essay. Not that I did any of the work during the time that I would have been at the food bank, but if I’d gone that would mean I’d write about it and that would take time away from an essay that was barely started.
            I could have gotten lots done from the late morning to the early afternoon but unfortunately I had no choice but to go to Bike Pirates. The locknut on my left crank arm had been loosening whenever I rode and I was sure that a deeper problem was causing it.
            I was the first one in front of the shop and so I took advantage of the waiting time and read the first chapter of Babylon Revisited by F. Scott Fitzgerald for 20th Century US Literature class. The second person to arrive was a guy with an Australian accent. The third one seemed to be his girlfriend, since she came up very close to him and was physically affectionate. Her conversation seemed more dependent on him though since she’d just come from the nearby consignment store and was selling him on some clothing items she’d seen there. She also asked rather than told him that she was going to back and look around. I hadn’t really looked at her directly during that time but when I did it dawned on me that she was probably the man’s 12 or 13 year old daughter, which turned out to be the case.
            Melissa came out and said they’d be opening soon but she was just getting their garbage bins that had been left out front since Thursday night. She commented to me that it’s the only thing in Parkdale that no one wants to steal. I told her that I’d seen them stolen. For one thing they would be better for collecting bottles and cans than a shopping cart.
            At noon I clamped my velo to stand number two. I showed my problem to Melissa and she insisted that it was just a matter of replacing the lock nuts for both crank arms and getting them very tight. She related to me that she’d once had a racing bike and needed to tighten those nuts every single day for 21 years. I tightened the right side as much as I could but then Melissa came along and showed she was a lot stronger than me. She taught me the trick of putting the wrench just a bit short of being parallel to the crank arm and then gripping the crank arm for leverage while moving the wrench a little further. I used that technique on the left side and then Melissa said she would try her feminine charms on t it, she couldn’t get it to go any further.
            She was also helping the father and daughter at the next stand but at one point while he was indicating Melissa to his daughter to get her to ask for something he committed the faux pas of referring to Melissa as something like “that guy over there”. Melissa took issue with being referred to as a guy and said so. A little later she said to the girl, “Is that your father?” When she confirmed that he was, Melissa suggested that she educate her dad about gender. After that she continued helping them as if nothing had pissed her off.
            Since it hadn’t taken more than a few minutes to apparently fix my problem, Melissa advised me that since I was already at a stand I might as well deal with any other bike issues that might be on the back burner. I showed her that there was some give from side to side on my back wheel, so she had me remove it and the cogset. While she was adjusting the cones she noticed that my back tire, the one that Nick Cushing had given me back in the spring, was now too worn out and I would start getting flats if I kept on using it. She told me to go down in the basement and to look for a replacement with measurements between 700 x 30 and 700 x 35. It didn’t take me long to find one that was 700 x 35 with direction treads like the old one. Melissa liked the tire and told me that it would serve me well once the weather started getting sloppy. Once I got it on and pumped up though the tire was so wide that it was filling up the frame. Melissa managed to get it balanced but I could feel it rubbing as soon as I started out for a test drive. I went back downstairs and went through every single used tire they had, only finding one tire of the right size that also had a directional tread. Melissa was impressed with that one too, telling me that what I’d selected was a winter tread. The pattern consisted of a very close row of crescent shaped grooves with the curve in one direction and with two parallel straight grooves cutting through those. There were no studs though, which is what I would associate with a winter tire. She informed me that the tire I’d selected would cost $75 if I’d bought it new.
            I installed it but then realized that I’d put it on with the curved pattern pointing backwards so I switched it.
            I mentioned to Melissa that this time of year I mostly just use the bike for campus and back rather than any really long rides. She asked what I was studying and I told her about my courses. She told me that when she was young she ran away and worked for a carnie for about six years. During that time she read all the Penguin Classics.
            As usual I was at Bike Pirates for over three hours. Because of my recent cheque from the Toronto Housing Allowance Program, I felt like I could afford to donate a little more than usual, so I put a $20 into the box.
            Later outside of my window there was an argument between a drunken woman in her 40s and a man in his 70s that did not know one another. I didn’t catch the beginning but I guess he had chastised her about something she was doing on the street, which caused her to follow him, shouting about him being a hypocrite because he was drinking. A car pulled up and a group that looked like they might be the old man’s family, a man in his 40s that could have been his son and a couple of kids that may have been his grandchildren. The younger man came between them and tried to calmly reason with the woman. He seemed to be explaining that the old guy was not drinking but I couldn’t make out exactly what he said. Her friend came up to stand beside her and the old man came back. At one point there was even a little scuffle between the woman and the old man before the son broke it up. As they were walking away towards Lansdowne, she shouted after them, “Go back to Pakiland!” before her friend pulled on the back of her t-shirt and she staggered east with him.
            By the end of Saturday I did not get any academic writing done at all because I still wanted to finish reading Anselm’s Proslogian for a third time but by bedtime I hadn’t quite made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment