Monday 19 March 2018

Anne Baxter



            Sunday was a pretty much writing day and so there was nothing much about it to write about. My kitchen lightbulb had burnt out the night before and so I’d had to get the stepladder from the landing between the second and third floor so I could put my bathroom light in the kitchen-ceiling socket. So on Sunday in the late morning I went over to the Dollarama and bought a light bulb. I purchased one of their more expensive ones (an LED bulb) in hopes that it would last longer. The warranty says five years but the claim is that it will last 9.1 years.
            When I was crossing the street back to my place I saw a guy sitting at the window of the new Japanese restaurant next to my place, eating out of a bowl with chopsticks. There was a closed sign on the door, so I assume that he works there. When I got to the sidewalk he waved at me and smiled. Maybe I’ll go in there to eat something someday soon so I can find out their network password. It seems to have a pretty strong signal.
            I re-read the Robert Frost poems and my Frost lecture notes for 20th Century US Literature. There are some good lines but I can’t say that Frost really moves me that much. I know they say he’s not really a nature poet and his work is really commentary on the human condition but it seems a bit thick and the style is boring to pick through for meaning.
            I watched the second Alfred Hitchcock Hour from season two. This story wasn’t so interesting but it featured a young George Segal and a great performance by Anne Baxter. A woman in New York who has left her husband is tracked down and confronted by him while he is drunk. They struggle and he is knocked out. While he is unconscious she calls her lover, who is starring in a movie in Hollywood. There are flashbacks as they talk, to when they first met. She was a casting director and he was an aggressive young actor that would not take no for an answer. He didn’t get the part but he got the girl. He tells her on the phone that her husband making trouble could ruin his career, so he convinces her over most of the rest of the show and through a few more flashbacks to smother him with a pillow while he is still unconscious. Once she tells him it’s done, he calls the police to report a murder and then he goes to join his new wife in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment