Friday 23 March 2018

At Last I Have Control!



            Because of drinking coffee before bed for the first time in a month, I barely slept at all on Thursday from midnight until I got up at 5:00. My brain was firing a lot slower during rehearsal but I didn’t feel too sleepy before I having another coffee at breakfast timer.
I had to do laundry again. Every two weeks seems too soon to me. If I had 300 pairs of underwear I might only have to do it five times a year. The older Korean gentleman that manages the Laundromat was eating lunch with chopsticks out of a Styrofoam take out container. I was coveting his spicy noodles as I asked him to change a ten. While my stuff was in the wash I rode down to the Queenglad pawnshop to ask if they’d gotten the remote for my Yamaha receiver yet. Lou said he’d tried to call me but my phone wasn’t working because I didn’t answer it. I think he’d called on Tuesday when I was posing for an art class and had my ringer turned off. He went to the back and brought out a thin white box that was the same width as the one my Arm and Hammer toothpaste comes in and about a centimetre longer and handed it to me with a smile. I went to Freshco where I bought some fruit and soymilk, then I went back to the Laundromat to put my clothes in the dryer and then I went home.
            I was worried that the remote control wouldn’t work or that it would take batteries that I didn’t have, but it takes AAs, which I can recharge. It also works, so now I can watch a video while eating and change the volume without putting my plate down and getting up. Also, since it’s a remote control that means that I can open or close the drawbridge over the mote that surrounds my building without going downstairs and turning the crank.
            Once my laundry was back home, I made lunch and then took a siesta.
            I was sneezing and sniffling a lot all day. I don’t know if it’s a cold coming on or something in the air. Maybe it’s the cockroach gel that was put down around the kitchen and bathroom on Monday.
            I got caught up on my journal.
            When I posted my blog I noticed in the comments section for my Monday blog about the exterminator coming that a police detective wants to get in touch with me relating to an ongoing investigation. I assume it doesn’t relate to that particular blog and I suspect it relates to my blog from a month and a half ago about my ex-landlady after I heard that her son was arrested recently on a murder charge. If that’s the case there’s not any point in talking to me, since I wrote everything I know in that blog. A blog comment section is an odd way for the police to try to reach me.
            I made falafel with tahini and hummus, but the bag of falafels was frozen when I put it in the frying pan. It was awkward trying to separate them while they were frying. I had them with tahini and hummus while watching a somewhat interesting Alfred Hitchcock Hour. A woman named Mrs. Logan has just moved to a small town where nothing ever happens. She calls up the local sheriff because she has observed something suspicious about her next-door neighbour, Mr Jarvis. She hasn’t seen his wife for three days, he just sits in the backyard drinking all day and at night she sees him digging a big hole in his garden. Mrs Logan thinks that Jarvis might have killed his wife. The sheriff dismisses her theory but he looks into it and finds that no one has seen Mrs Jarvis for three days and that Mr Jarvis tells some people she’s sick and others that she’s gone on a holiday. One evening Mrs Logan takes the sheriff to her bedroom window to look down at Mr Jarvis as he digs his grave shaped hole. At one point Jarvis looks up and sees her watching him. Minutes later he rings Mrs Logan’s doorbell. The sheriff hides while she answers the door. Mr Jarvis essentially tells her she is a busybody and that she should mind her own business rather than standing in her window to spy on her neighbours. The next night the sheriff goes to Jarvis’s house where Jarvis has already filled in the hole that he’d dug. He tells him he’s going to have to dig it up and he does so. What they find is a dead dog. Jarvis explained that it had been sick and so he’d had to put the animal down. He also confesses that his wife had left him and he’d been too embarrassed to tell anyone. The sheriff goes to tell Mrs Logan that the case is closed but that makes her angry because she doesn’t believe Jarvis’s story. The sheriff leaves and then Jarvis sneaks over the wall to Mrs Logan’s yard and sneaks into her house. She is sitting on the couch flipping through a magazine as he sneaks up behind her with a shovel. As he gets close, she turns, sees him, stands, they go into one another’s arms and begin to kiss. I didn’t see that coming. The whole nosy neighbour routine has just been a ruse to throw off suspicion from the fact that Jarvis really did kill his wife. She’s buried in Mrs Logan’s yard. They dig her up and drag her body over the wall and back to Jarvis’s yard and Jarvis puts his wife’s corpse into the grave, on top of the dog. Meanwhile, Mrs Logan is filling up the hole in her yard. The doorbell rings and it’s the sheriff, who had forgotten that it’s against the law to bury an animal in one’s yard, so he says he will take it downtown. Jarvis is stuck. As they go into the backyard they hear Mrs Logan’s voice calling out “Darling!” and then her head pops up with a smile from the other side, but on seeing the sheriff her expression drops. Her and Jarvis are done. I don’t understand though why they didn’t just keep Mrs Jarvis buried in Mrs Logan’s yard.


No comments:

Post a Comment