Sunday 18 March 2018

The End of the Line Up?



            On Saturday morning I went to the food bank for the first time in over a month. The main reason that I hadn’t been going was because I had an essay to work on for my 20th Century US Literature class, but I also wasn’t that broken up about not standing in the freezing cold weather for two hours. I’d brought some Robert Frost to read this time but it was still too cold to take of my gloves, but not the kind of acid freeze that eats through all protection.
            There was a very talkative woman a few places ahead of me in line, telling another woman stories from her life, non-stop. One was about sitting down to a meal at home with a man that was wearing a hat. Another woman walked in and said, “Don’t you know it’s not polite to wear a hat at the table?” Then she pulled the man’s hat off but his toupee came with it and she saw that he was bald. The woman exclaimed, “That’s what you really look like? Ewww!”
            Another story involved a friend that had somehow gotten a horse into her backyard in downtown Toronto. They went riding on the street and ran into a mounted cop that commanded, “Get down off that horse!” The guy responded, “You get down off your horse!” The policeman warned him, “You’re gonna get a ticket!” The guy asked, “For what? I don’t see any signs that say, ‘No horses’!”
            The woman briefly stopped talking to her friend when she saw across the street a middle-aged couple all decked out in green for St Patrick’s Day. She shouted, “Hey leprechaun!” The man did look a bit leprechaunish in his 19th Century style attire while the woman wore a solid green coat over a green and white floral dress. Trailing behind them was a man whose only green decoration was a green wig made of wide strips of cloth under a hat.
            Speaking of riding, across the street I saw two little girls of about five on strider bikes riding west on the north sidewalk of Queen Street. The thing was though that I didn’t see any grown up supervising them. Several adults came up from behind and each time I thought that might be the parent but they would walk past them. The kids stopped at the corner of Sorauren and Queen and finally a woman pushing a baby carriage caught up with them, told them they could cross and they shot on ahead of her again. When I’d first seen the kids she must have been a full block behind. It looks like she had them well trained to wait at the crossing, but I’m not sure if I would have been comfortable with my daughter being that far away from me when she was that age.
            I looked behind me and saw Mo step into line. I hadn’t seen him since the fall and he hasn’t come to the food bank on Saturday for several months. At first he didn’t recognize me and then he explained that he’d lost sight in one eye entirely and it was very bad in the other. He told me that he doesn’t go out at night anymore and he recently injured his leg while getting onto the streetcar because his foot missed the step. He’s scheduled for surgery and he’s hopeful that his vision will be restored but he has been warned that there is a possibility of it not correcting the problem. He lamented that it’s been a rough year for him because in addition to his impairment he also lost both parents this year. His father died in January and his mother passed away a week ago.
            Mo said he stopped coming to the food bank on Wednesdays because there was too much fighting. I asked if he meant fist fighting but he clarified that he’d meant a lot of arguing about places in line.
            At around 10:30 the door person came around with a box of wristbands that had numbers attached to them. We were each asked to pick one without looking. I got number 16 and Mo got 14. The woman behind him got 4. They had changed the system so that it was no longer first come first serve but now it was a lottery. That seemed really unfair to the people that come early to be first in line. If they are going to bother to come out and hand out numbers to people, why not just give the first person in line number 1, the second number 2 and so on?
            The first ten numbers were called shortly after the bands had been handed out. The line had been fairly smoke free up until that point but suddenly a group that had been waiting inside were having a last smoke together before the next round of numbers were called. I stepped away until they were done with their cigarettes. When I came back, Mo showed me a picture on his phone of his Mustang, which he informed me was the same kind of car that Steve McQueen drove in Bullitt. Mo expressed confidence that he would be able to drive it again after his surgery.
            I heard the doorperson call number 17 but hadn’t heard her call any number after 10. I stepped forward and Mo and I went downstairs. I could see he was having some difficulty seeing where he was stepping on the way down.
            When I handed in my wristband at the desk I told the reception guy that I thought this was a stupid and unfair system. But then he took the time to explain to me that they don’t want people lining up on Queen Street or crowding up the foyer to the building three hours before the food bank opens. He assured me that everyone is going to get the same amount of food so there is no reason for clients to come that early. His argument made sense to me, and that would mean I could come later from now on, which is a good thing.
            They no longer give clients a number at the desk to into a can two meters away, which was always a dumb set up. Now we just have to show our food bank cards to the volunteer that guides us along the shelves.
            I picked a sleeve of something that looked like Ritz crackers and a small jar of port wine jelly from the first two shelves. From the bottom my helper gave me a cinnamon bun flavoured Fibre 1 bar, a chewy chocolate granola bar and a cocoa and coconut Larabar.
            On the next set of shelves there were some jars of peanut butter that caught my eye because the labels read “caramel peanut butter” and “chocolate chip peanut butter”. Oddly there was not company name attached but when I looked it up later I saw that pretty much every company that makes peanut butter is spinning off into flavoured varieties. I was about to take a jar but then I saw to the left some cans of sardines, so I took one of those. He said I could take a second can and just as I was moving on he passed me the peanut butter that I’d been eyeing as well.
            From the top of the next set of shelves I grabbed a can of chickpeas. One shelf down I selected a tin of curried cauliflower and lentil soup. Below that was a small bottle of feta dressing. From the bottom I picked a container of coconut water and a bottle of grapefruit cocktail.
From the pasta section I snagged a can of tomato sauce and then walked over behind Angie to take a box of multigrain Cheerios from the cereal shelf.
Angie, said, “Hey babe, I haven’t seen you in a while!” I explained that I’d had some schoolwork to do. She gave me a bag of four eggs, which I put into my jacket pocket. There were the usual offerings of milk and yogourt and another dairy product that I don’t remember. I didn’t take any of those because I’ve just come off a fruit fast and I won’t be eating any dairy until Easter Sunday. Instead I took the only carton of nut milk, which was a blend of almonds, cashews and hazelnuts. I was surprised though that the label read, “Not a source of protein”. I’d always thought nuts are a source of protein. I looked it up and found that almonds, cashews and hazelnuts are rich in protein but it takes less almonds to turn them into milk than it does soybeans and using too many would make it oily and thick.
Angie also gave me a box of frozen seasoned chicken mini samosas in tandoori lime sauce. She called the samosas and they look something like samosas, but the box just calls them “bites”.
The usual tubes of frozen ground chicken and packs of frozen hot dogs were there, but I chose not to take either. The ground chicken is okay in a pinch but it’s very low quality meat. I’ve got a little bit of extra money for a while and so when I start eating meat I’ll splurge on the good stuff and save the cheap chicken for when I’m broke again.
Sylvia had a fair variety of vegetables this time. She was about to give me the largest cabbage, but then stopped and said, “I don’t like that one!” I declared that small is better and explained that it has something to do with the low water content creating a higher sugar content. When I think about it though, I’ve only read that this is true for fruit, but I assume it might also be true for vegetables. When vegetables are deprived of water they are naturally smaller but they contain the same amount of sugar as a larger variety, which makes them taste sweeter because the sugar is less diluted.
Sylvia also put three onions, two green peppers, five cucumbers, four carrots and a bag containing ten potatoes in my bag. I didn’t take any bread this time because I won’t be eating bread for another week and a half.
So, I was unhappy at first with the new wristband system, but once it was explained to me it made sense. It will be interesting to see how this changes things but I think this new system has been in effect for a week or yet people came early to line up anyway, out of habit.
As for the food, they could almost always stand to have better quality meat, but the food bank had a fairly healthy selection of vegetables and the shelves were well stocked this time as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment