Sunday 25 March 2018

From Slave Labour to Your Table?



            It felt like I had food poisoning on Saturday morning and suspect that it came from the left over frozen falafel from the food bank that I’d cooked the night before. That fowl falafel made me feel awful. There were two more bags of the stuff in the fridge but I decided to throw them in the garbage. I’d rather live without feeling sick.
            Since last Saturday the food bank handed out the random numbers at around 10:30, I decided that I’d go there this time fifteen minutes later than usual. But when I arrived the doorkeeper (I think her name is Martina) had already handed them out. I asked her for a number just as she was going back inside with an empty box. She came back a minute or so later to hand me number 21. Then she and the manager, Valdene, got into the food bank van and drove off. One of the volunteers who came out for a smoke said they couldn’t open until they couldn’t open until they came back. They returned 45 minutes later with a load of food that looked like it came from donations to a food bank barrel in one of the local supermarkets.
            It was another bitterly cold day and I hadn’t dressed warmer because I’d stupidly expected their new system to make things go more quickly. In actuality, eliminating the line up does not stop most of us from having to wait in the cold. It just makes it unnecessary for some regulars to show up super early just to be first in line.
            There were a lot of people smoking and two classes of cigarette addicts: the ones that buy their own and the ones that always either bum smokes or scavenge them. It seems that as soon as a two thirds smoked cig hits the ground someone has already picked it up again and started smoking the rest of it. One guy that was given a fag inhaled it so hard and fast that there was still a cigarette-shaped cylinder of ashes sticking out from the butt when he was finished.
            There was a used coffee mug hanging from a nail in a wooden hydro pole by a piece of twine that had been tied through the handle.
            There was a woman with two children of about 5 and 7 that arrived in front of the Parkdale Activities and Recreation Centre at around 10:45 and looking very out of place. She was carrying three new sleeping bags rolled up in plastic packages which it looked like she intended to donate. When she found out that PARC wouldn’t open until 11:00 she stood waiting, but after a while I saw three people, each with one of the sleeping bags and the woman and her kids were gone. There are homeless people that come to PARC every day but I don’t think that a single one of the people that she gave the sleeping bags to was homeless.
            After 11:00 a tall guy in shorts came out of the apartment building next door to the food bank and went into PARC. I didn’t recognize him until he came back out and called my name. It was Justin Zaza, whom I’ve known since the 90s when he used to come to my writers open stage at the Gladstone and some friends of mine called him “Little Baby Mummy”.  A few years ago he was living in an expensive studio on King Street, just west of downtown. He was shooting an experimental film and he’d invited me to participate. I took the trouble to memorize my lines and came to do my part for free but later I found that he’d forgotten to take the cap off the camera lens. He asked if I would reshoot it but I told him I didn’t have the time. He offered me $25, so I said I’d do it, but then he decided he didn’t want to pay anything. I told him at the time that he was a douchebag for backing out on an offer. So now he’s living at 1501 Queen and he says it’s nice. He says he takes advantage of all the amenities that are being offered in the neighbourhood. He was holding a large Tim Horton’s takeout cup and told me that he gets free refills at PARC all day long. I’d always thought that Justin came from a rich family.
            It was almost 11:30 by the time my number was called.
            At the top of the first set of shelves were cake mixes and white plastic bags full of garlic seasoning. I took the garlic stuff. From the bottom I was given two cinnamon-brown sugar oatmeal squares and a handful of single servings of strawberry jam.
            The second set of shelves had lots of canned beans. I took a can of beans with maple syrup and another can of mixed beans. Further down was the canned fish and peanut butter shelf. I took a tin of “East Coast style” Millionaire sardines but on the back it says they were caught off the west coast while on the side it says they are a product of Thailand. I guess they’d have to be millionaire sardines to be able to afford to travel that much. The bottom shelf had apple juice drinking boxes but there was one larger bottle of organic 7-11 apple juice from concentrate.
            There was no broth in the soup section and no sauce on the pasta shelves, so I moved on to the cereal. There were mostly boxes of Cheerios but I got one of All Bran Buds.
            Angie had a lot of milk to offer of various percentages but I had to turn them down. There were also yogourts and some kind of fruity cream cheese dip, which I told her I could'nt eat until Easter. She said, “I see what’s goin on now!” and gave me an extra bag of four eggs. I put one back in my right jacket pocket and the other in my left and only one egg broke by the time I got them into my fridge. She gave me a litre of “not from concentrate” apple juice. Once again I eschewed the usual tube of frozen ground chicken and the pack of frozen chicken wieners. I did take the box of frozen tandoori chicken “samosas” with the both annoying and clever name of “Snak Man Doo”. The company is owned by Bellissio, which is owned by a mega food-producing corporation headquartered in Thailand called Charoen Pokphand Foods, which owns large animal and fish farms. They were accused in 2014 of buying fishmeal for their prawn farms from boats that use slave labour. The mostly Burmese and Cambodian slaves are supposedly bought for $455, are given drugs so they can put in 20-hour workdays and non-compliant slaves have been allegedly executed. It’s possible that the sardines for Millionaires were also caught by slave labour. I wonder if there’s a retirement plan.
            Sylvia’s vegetable section had a fair variety of items. She gave me a bag containing ten potatoes; a small cabbage; two cucumbers; four small zucchini; an onion; two and a half carrots; an apple; a bag containing a medley of frozen carrots and beans; a lot of little non-bell sweet peppers: 11 red, two orange and two yellow; and five soft tomatoes.
So there was still lots of standing around in the cold despite the food bank’s new lottery system of handing out numbers. While decent meat is still scarce, dairy seems plentiful, the shelves are well stocked and for the most part there were lots of veggies. When I got home though I had to toss every one of the tomatoes that I’d been given, because I can live without any more food poisoning.
            After the food bank I’d wanted to go down to No Frills to pick up some fruit, but I was so cold that I decided to go home to warm up a bit first. After putting my food bank groceries away I headed back out. At the supermarket I didn’t get a lot of stuff, just some black sable grapes, strawberries, bananas, soymilk, naan, and a loaf each of cinnamon-raisin and multigrain bread.
            That night I turned off my lights and lit candles during Earth Hour. It was very difficult to cook dinner by candlelight because I couldn’t see very well. I made a kind of chilli with two cans of beans, a can of tomato sauce and a can of chipotle peppers. Canned chipotle peppers are spicy but they don’t taste very good.
            I watched an interesting Alfred Hitchcock Hour that took place mostly on a university campus. Hitchcock’s lead in to the story was funny as well. It shows him standing in front of an ivy-covered wall as a branch of ivy begins creeping onto his shoulder and gradually starts to wrap itself around him. He says, “Due to the population explosion and the need for more and more institutions of higher learning, universities seem to be springing up overnight. Since everyone prefers to go to old established institutions we have developed such products as fast growing ivy. We can also, in a matter of months provide a campus with hundred-year-old traditions picked up at very reasonable prices from colleges that are sick of them. Aging the faculty has not yet presented any problem.”
A straight “A” student named Doc has a reputation for performing practical jokes while his roommate, Skip has a drinking problem and tends to go extremely overboard with wild behaviour that he forgets about the next day. The story begins in a lecture hall where the professor is about to introduce the class to the dissection of human cadavers. A corpse is wheeled out, but then suddenly it sits up and a female student screams. Emerging from under the sheet, Doc begins to laugh. The angry professor punishes Doc by giving him a stack of papers to spend all night marking. Later, at the residence, Doc is marking the papers at around midnight when he hears someone shouting “Woman in the hall!” The door bursts open and one of the guys tells Doc that Skip is drunk again and is going to throw Barbara in the shower. Skip comes charging down the hall with a young woman over his shoulder. He takes her into the men’s shower and puts her and himself under the spray. Doc tries to pull Skip away but Skip begins to beat Doc up until the other boys pull him off. A few hours later an alarm clock goes off. Doc is just finishing grading the essay and Skip wakes up to find he tied to his bed.
Later there is a Halloween party at which, besides dancing, one of the activities involves, for 25 cents being able to push a cream pie in the face of an honour student, of which Doc is one.
Skip is trying to break a beer drinking record of 63 cans in one sitting, but he passes out after 42. The guys talk about how Skip almost got kicked out of school earlier that day. Doc says that it’s a good thing Skip passed out because he could have killed someone driving back to the dorm. The Doc gets an idea. Wouldn’t it sober Skip up if he thought that he had killed somebody? The unconscious Skip is taken back to the residence. Doc goes to the lab and steals a cadaver. He puts a blonde wig and some earrings on it that were left over from the Halloween party and when Skip wakes up in the morning he tells him that he strangled and killed Ruby, the new waitress at the tavern. Doc says he has to go help the professor set up the class but he’ll be back in half an hour. He leaves Skip alone with the corpse. But the professor needs Doc for the entire lecture and Skip is going crazy. Finally he wraps the cadaver up in the carpet, puts it in his car and goes looking for a way to get rid of it. As he is driving an elderly woman is rolling her garbage can out to the curb. It gets away from her and goes in front of Skip’s car. He gets out to help her pick up her garbage. She says, “I told my husband before he died he ought to buy me a garbage disposal. But the dog was alive then and he’d eat anything. Then the dog died. I can’t get out of the habit of cooking for the three of us. Nothing that you cook for just one person tastes nearly so good. I don’t know why that is. Are you all right? Would you like a drink?” “A drink?” “Would you like to come into my house and have a drink? I’m 67 years old, my intentions are honourable.” “Can I park my car in your driveway? I have a rug and I’d feel safer if it was off the street.” “Yes, of course! You can put it right in the garage. I don’t keep a car in there anymore. I told my husband before he died he ought to teach me how to drive. But then they came and repossessed it. I wouldn’t make payments on anything I didn’t know how to use.” Once the car is in the garage he looks at the electric saw and the blades that are on a bench. She explains, “This used to be my husband’s workshop.” Inside the house she calls her newest neighbour to remind her that it’s garbage night. She explains that when they come around with the truck they throw things in the back and they are all ground to a pulp before the truck’s halfway down the street. Skip and the old lady are drinking gin and they both get drunk. She tells him that every Tuesday night she has to put on a dress, fix her hair, put on a little lipstick and take the garbage out. Then suddenly the lady pitches forward, unconscious on the dining room table. Skip goes out to the garage and begins to cut up the body with the old lady’s late husband’s saw, then he wraps the parts up in paper and places them out on the curb. He’s relieved the next morning when the garbage truck comes and grinds it all up. For breakfast she makes Skip a chicken liver omelette. He tells her he has to go to class. When Skip gets back to campus he finds out that he’s been cut from the football team. He goes to the tavern and while he’s having his first beer, Ruby comes in to work. She comes up to say hi there to Skip and he is in shock. Suddenly Doc comes in. “You said I killed Ruby, didn’t you?” “Where’s the body?” “If it wasn’t Ruby, who was it?” “It wasn’t anyone! Now where is it?” “How could it not be anyone?” “It was a cadaver from the medical lab. It was just a joke to sober you up. Where is it?” “Come on, I’ll show you.” The next scene shows dissecting class in the medical lab. One of the students pulls out a cadaver and thinks it’s Doc playing another prank, but Doc is dead.
Michael Parks put in a strong performance as Skip and I thought the old lady and the lines they wrote for her were hilarious.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment