Wednesday 18 September 2019

It's a Living Room



            On Tuesday morning my backache was pretty much gone.
            I went back over my translation so far of  "Complaint du progress" by Boris Vain and changed some of the listed appliances to match the ones that are invented. For instance I used “shovels for your Jell-O" and “a gun for making pancakes”.
            I finished memorizing “La baigneuse de Brighton” by Serge Gainsbourg. I’ll look for the chords next but I assume I’ll have to work them out for myself.
            I washed the bookshelf in the southwest corner of the living room. I had to scrape a lot of plaster off of it. I also cut a piece from a colourful old woollen blanket and hung it over the exposed papers where the top drawer is supposed to be on my dresser. It took quite a while to cut it to the right size but that finishes my living room cleaning project.


            For lunch I made a quick chilli with a can of kidney beans, some tomato sauce and a can of green salsa and had it with a bowl of potato chips.
            I did some exercises in the afternoon while listening to Amos and Andy. In this story Kingfish buys a $6 desk for his office that the salesman cons him belonged to George Washington. Meanwhile it’s his and Sapphire’s twentieth wedding anniversary and he’s forgotten about it. Sapphire is very upset and shows Amos some love letters that Kingfish wrote to her twenty years ago. Amos wants to help and so he takes the letters and puts them in Kingfish’s desk drawer to remind him of his relationship with Sapphire. But Kingfish has forgotten that he wrote them and when he finds them and sees love letters signed “George” he thinks he’s hit the jackpot and found letters written by George Washington. After getting the letters appraised, Kingfish realizes they aren’t authentic. But when the salesman hears about the letters he thinks the desk must have really belonged to Washington after all. He buys back the desk for $50. Amos informs him that it’s his anniversary and so he buys Sapphire a fur coat.
            While making dinner I was cutting something and washing it at the same time. I had the knife in my right hand and was adjusting the water temperature with the same hand. But in gripping the faucet lever I stupidly squeezed the blade slightly against the inside of my thumb near the joint. It bled for several minutes and was sore for the rest of the night.
            I had a potato, sautéed onions with orange pepper, pork ribs and gravy for dinner while watching Wagon Train. Flint rescues a tough middle-aged woman named Cassie who is travelling by herself out west from an attack by Paiute warriors. She says she’s going to California to find a man. Flint takes her to join the wagon train and she immediately begins flirting with the Major. He spends a lot of time avoiding her. While riding to buy horses to refresh the train Flint gets shot with a Paiute arrow. Cassie removes it and volunteers to go in Flint's place. An attack on the train by the hostiles is imminent but for some reason several men accompany Cassie on her mission. The train is attacked by the Paiute and Cassie gets the horses. The wagon train is still under siege when Cassie and the men return. Cassie stampedes the eighty horses towards the Paiute and saves the train. On of the men asks her to marry him and she says yes.
            Cassie was played by Marjorie Main, who played Ma Kettle in eight popular Ma and Pa Kettle films.




No comments:

Post a Comment