Friday 20 September 2019

Threshold


            On Thursday morning in my translation of "Complaint du progress" by Boris Vain I decided “chasse-filou" would be “hunting hook” and that I’d rhyme it with “animatronic cook”.
            I started memorizing “C’est la vie qui veut ca” (It’s life that wants it that way) by Serge Gainsbourg. It’s basically someone arguing with a lover that they never promised to be faithful, and that’s just the way life is so deal with it.
            I washed the threshold between my living room and my bedroom. Now I can no longer see a dark dirty part under my curtain from where I’m sitting at the computer. I think that next I’ll wash the threshold between my living room and the kitchen and that will take care of all the dark parts of the floor that I can see from my desk.
            I had the rest of the quick chili that I’d made on Tuesday with the rest of my potato chips. I drank the bottle of bone broth that I’d gotten from the food bank and it gave me a bit of a bone buzz.
            In the afternoon I did some exercises while listening to Amos and Andy. In this story Kingfish decides to become a promoter of Andy’s greatest talent, which is being a lady’s man. He gets him a job writing advice to the lovelorn under the pseudonym of Juliet Heart. When a woman asks for advice on how to deal with her boyfriend who had promised to marry her and backed out, Andy tells her to sue him for breach of promise. She takes the advice but the boyfriend turns out to be Andy. This is a continued story.
            I took a bike ride to Bloor and University, south to Queen and on the way home I stopped at Freshco. There I ran into Lee, and we chatted for several minutes before we went off to do our separate shopping.
            I bought four bags of grapes, a basket of nectarines, three containers of Greek yogourt, a beef sirloin roast and a twelve-pack of toilet paper. Obviously all that would add up to more than $15 but when the cashier said $50 I heard $15 and counted that much out before she pointed out my mistake.
            At home I worked on my journal.
            I had a potato, a squash, some ribs and gravy for dinner while watching Wagon Train. This story was about a wild west performing star named Rex Montana who travels with a manager named Clyde who writes best selling dime novels about Rex’s adventures. Also in their troupe is a Cherokee named Chenwakee and a Paiute princess named Loetha, who was initially kidnapped but fell in love with Rex. Rex’s reputation was built by Clyde after the Bear Tooth Pass massacre when he fictionalized Rex as the hero. The fact is that Rex can shoot and put on a good show but he’s actually a coward and abuses Loetha and Clyde. The real hero of the massacre was a man named Rodney who is now an alcoholic with brain damage who remembers nothing of his past. He is cared for by his brother Bill in Salt Lake City. Clyde encounters Rodney and sneaks one of the Montana books into Rodney’s pocket so Bill will find it, know that Rex is near and will come after him to kill him. But when Bill finds the wagon train and is about to shoot Rex, Loetha screams and Rex kills Bill. Later Clyde sets Chenwakee free to go and inform the Paiute that Loetha is on the train. When Chenwakee arrives with the Paiute riders he shoots and kills Rex. Loetha doesn’t know that Rex is dead but the unlikely outcome is that when the Paiute come for her she willingly leaves with them.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment