Monday 16 September 2019

Why Isn't Furniture Made Out of Fur?


On Sunday morning my back was still in pain. It hurt through yoga and song practice.
I translated a few more lines of "Complaint du progress" by Boris Vain.
            I posted “La cible qui bouge” by Serge Gainsbourg on my Christian’s Translations blog.
I almost considered taking some Tylenol for my back but I managed without it.
            I washed the top, front, back and sides of the dresser in the southwest corner of my living room. I thought it wasn’t going to take very long and that I'd have time to clean the bookshelf that sits on top of the dresser, but it turned out to take over an hour. The next session should finish the living room.
I weighed 91 kilos before lunch when I had a toasted tomato and cheese sandwich.
My back was still aching in the afternoon but not as much.
I did some exercises while listening to Amos and Andy. This was their New Years Eve episode. Anybody that's anybody has been invited to the Charles Jackson residence for New Years Eve. Andy is certain that among his friends he is the only one that is anybody because he is dating Jackson’s daughter Camelia. But one by one his friends reveal that they have all received engraved invitations while Andy has yet to get one and the last mail of 1944 has come and gone. Andy decides to go over to the Jacksons to invite Camelia out on the town even though he's broke. He is certain she will tell him that she can’t go out because of the party but will be reminded to invite Andy to the bash. But Camelia says she’d be happy to paint the town with Andy. Andy has to call her later to tell her he has to go out of town on business. Andy is moping around his office depressed about his situation when his minister arrives to give him a talk on casting his bread on the water. Andy is inspired to give it a try and so he calls a journalist friend that had recently asked him for a favour but whom he’d turned down because of bitterness. Andy tells him he’d be glad to help him out and it turns out that he wants Andy to take his press pass and take a date to all of the best clubs in Harlem where he’ll get free drinks and food. So Andy calls Camelia again to invite her out. But then when Andy meets a couple of newlyweds that are too broke to celebrate New Years he gives them his press pass. Now Andy is dejected again because casting his bread on the water didn’t work. But then he gets a call asking him to take Lena Horn, the best looking woman in the country, to the best club in Harlem, because she’s just gotten into town and doesn't have a date.
My back gradually eased back to a mild ache by evening.
I had an egg with a warmed up spinach pastry and a beer for dinner while watching Wagon Train. This was the second half of a two-part story and it was as boring as I expected. The Major’s old flame has come back into his life and he asks her to marry him. She turns him down but doesn’t tell him that it’s because she is terminally ill. She leaves the wagon train with her brother in law in Arizona but when she reaches her sister’s home she has an attack and calls for Seth. The brother in law goes to fetch the Major and he comes to her. She dies in his arms.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment