Saturday 28 November 2015

Bedrooms of the Nation


           

            On Friday I had to go to the Laundromat with my bedding because the day before that some idiot forgot to flip his mattress up on it’s side after getting up from a siesta. The result was that later on he walked into the bedroom and saw his idiot cat Jonquil, the one that stinks, lying on his top-sheet, which had made the sheet smell like her. So the idiot had to toss the sheet in the laundry basket and sleep without covers early on Friday.
            I thought that after doing the laundry I’d have time to take a nap before leaving for work, but I got a call from Statistics Canada about their “time use” survey and since I had told the woman she could call me back, I felt obliged to answer her questions for twenty minutes or more. The main body of the survey was for me to give her an account of twenty-four hours of my day, two days ago, so I told her about yoga, guitar practice and the foodbank. I also told her that about an hour was spent on something that she probably didn’t have a category for, and I think she understood.
            I worked that afternoon at OCADU for Diane Pugen, doing mostly one long pose. Coincidentally she was telling her students about the artist, William Kent Monkman, who is the co-author of one of the books on which I wrote my term paper. I told Diane that and she said she’d like to read my essay, so I told her that if I post it on my blog I’d send her a link.
            It was raining a bit when I rode home, but only enough to dampen my clothing slightly.
            I watched an episode of Commando Cody: Sky Marshal of the Universe called “Robot Monster from Mars”. These people are shameless with their titles. There was a robot, but it was from planet L-26, and Mars wasn’t even mentioned in the story. The aliens used a robot to break into Cody’s headquarters but it was neutralized. In a second attempt to get in the invaders used a stun ray that freezes people in whatever position they are in. Cody’s assistant, Dick is captured and they use a mind control device before releasing him, giving him instructions to get Cody’s spaceship designs from the safe. Then they fly to L-26 where Dick must work for the leader even after the mind control has worn off. Cody and Joan go looking for Dick, with Joan flying the ship. Dick, while talking to the leader, secretly turns on his two-way badge radio, which is similar to the com-badges that later used on Star Trek, and so Cody hears where they are and they fly to L-26. When the ship is approaching, the leader shoots a ray that stops them in the air, but Cody’s rocket suit is unaffected, so he flies down to disable the ray. He also gets hold of the controls to a guard robot and takes them back to Joan on the ship. The rescue of Dick involved Joan controlling the robot so as to run interference for Cody. The leader, of course, got away.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment